An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Non Alcoholic Beer

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by blur92, Jan 11, 2015.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I'm assuming you are perhaps in your mid twenties right now. I wouldn't stress too much over missing the whole social aspect of drinking, because in a few more years many of your friends may start to form families, and you will more or less never see them at the bars again once they do that as well - aside from once in a blue moon when they can get a babysitter. You don't have to play follow the leader when it comes to your social lives, if you need to take a break from the bar scene and find other activities to do instead, then by all means, go right ahead.

Plus, there are pool halls that don't serve alcohol, as an alternative to being in a bar.
    blur92 likes this.
  2. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

We are in our early twenties. A few of his friends already have kids, but they'll still visit the bars occasionally. I know we don't have to play follow the leader when it comes to our social lives. That's not why we go. It's because his friends are there and he likes to socialize with those particular people. He also likes the laid back atmosphere. I don't know of any pool halls that don't serve alcohol. All the ones in my area do.

I have tried searching for other activities but without much luck. It's hard finding something low-priced and having the same social interaction that a bar offers. What do you suggest?
  3. ryan0039

ryan0039 Active Contributor

I didn't even know such a thing as non-alcoholic beer existed. If it tastes good, I'd consider giving it a try. I've always wondered what real beer tastes like but I've refused to drink it due to the fact I know I might be at risk for addiction and I don't believe in drinking all that much. I'll check it out.
    blur92 likes this.
  4. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I tried some local beers. But from what I read around,
    Erdinger Weissbier Alkoholfrei is one of the good non-alcoholic beers available.
    blur92 likes this.
  5. 003

003 Community Champion

I wonder about the health impacts of drinking a non-alcoholic beers. While I think that it's a step closer to a better life, I think it's still best to completely avoid it, not right away though. It take little by little and it's a good sign that there are efforts being made.
    blur92 likes this.
  6. blur92

I've only had Coors and O'doul's. I think Coors is fairly close to the alcohol containing beer.

I've never heard of it. I'm guessing that is sold somewhere outside of the US. Do you know if it is offered in North America? I know the bars I have been to are limited to only the two I have mentioned. I'm not sure what else is sold in store, though.
  7. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Non-alcoholic beers don't really help me when I am trying to recover. The taste reminds me of the real thing and will make me more likely want to drink even more. I stick to fizzy drinks when out and trying to be social.
  8. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

bI wish you luck, but I think that bar settings are what they are, and a time will come when non-alcoholic beer isn't going to cut it. My view is that if you both really want to quit, the logical thing to do is not hang out in a place that is serves drinks. That's like saying you are going to McDonald's but you aren't going to eat. It just doesn't work. I hope for the best, because if it's something you both want, you should succeed at controlling it.
  9. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1 Active Contributor

The non-alcohol beers are not a personal favorite, but if it works go for it. I think it would be to temping for me to drink the real thing. I remember trying to buy non alcoholic beer as a teenager and I got carded so I think it still has some alcohol in it. I actually did get a slight buzz from it as well.
    blur92 likes this.
  10. blur92

It contains an extremely small amount of alcohol. However, the level it has can be compared to the level of caffeine decaffeinated coffee has. It is hardly anything at all. I'm surprised you got a buzz off of it. I never have nor has my boyfriend, but he was a pretty heavy drinker before.
  11. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I'm glad that you both have decided to stop drinking. It is for the best that you both decide to do this and it is very responsible of the both of you. O'Douls is a very good alternative to beer.
    blur92 likes this.
  12. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I haven't tried O'Douls yet, any more insight on this?
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is my first time to heard or read something about a non alcoholic beer since when it is said beer, it is of course alcoholic. :p
    Nice to know that there such kind of beers and better if these will be the majority choice of those who love to go hang out in the bars and avoid getting drank.
  14. blur92

I think most bars offer it more than they offer Coors NA. They probably sell it in stores; I know they have the latter in stock.

Well, I guess technically it still is alcoholic! I think I mentioned above that it has a very small percentage of alcohol. To put it in perspective, compare it to decaffeinated coffee. The amount in which either has will not affect the drinker at all unless maybe he or she chugs them back to back throughout the day. Even then the effect would be minimal.
  15. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I didn't know there was a non-alcoholic beer. Definitely something I will have to look into. Thanks for Sharon your story!
  16. blur92

17. piez

piez Member

I used to drink the non alcoholic beer whenever I was having cravings for the real stuff. It actually is fairly decent and gives you the feeling of a real beer without the drunken mind state. I think it's a very decent way for someone struggling with abuse to cope if it helps them to stay off of the real thing.
    blur92 likes this.
  18. blur92

What kind did you drink? I always thought there was primarily the two brands until I found that article i posted yesterday.
  19. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I have to admit I never really thought that non alcoholic beers did the trick, but now I realize that like everything else it of course at least works for some. I heard from a former alcoholic that this only made him miss alcohol more since he mostly wanted to drink for the effect and the taste just reminds him of that.
  20. blur92

Yeah, it varies among people much like other methods in general. My boyfriend really enjoys the taste of beer. He has mentioned being thrown off by not getting a buzz when drinking non alcoholic beers, but he hasn't said he's really missed it. I think both of us might want the occasional drunk night out, but we haven't slipped yet.