An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Non Alcoholic Beer

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by blur92, Jan 11, 2015.

1. piez

piez Member

I took a liking to O'douls. I found a few different brands at the local Walmart. I believe Busch had one also. For the life of me I can't remember the other two brands I saw. I'm sure there are many more out there though.
    blur92 likes this.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Well it's good that you both found something that works on you. I myself also prefer the effects of alcohol to the taste but of course it's good that this product exists for people who are the opposite. I'm guessing many people are skeptical about it though which I now think is a shame after hearing about your success story with it. Perhaps if more people gave it a try then there will be a few less alcoholics around.
  3. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I don't think the alcohol gives it the taste. I feel like the other ingredients give a more strong taste as well.
  4. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

It was probably Coors NA. I'm fairly certain I saw it there last time I was at Walmart along with O'douls. I didn't see that Busch had one, though.
  5. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

I've tried a few zero percent beers and they're pretty similar to the real thing. The beer taste is definitely there and if you rip off the label, no one will even know that its a non-alcoholic beer. Most bars will stock at least one brand of it and don't be shy to ask for it, they understand. I usually drink it when I'm forced to go to a company get-together or function. If I don't get this, then I usually get like a water, soda or a virgin drink.
  6. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have known of many people who go to bars but drink either water or O'Doul's. It seems to work for them because they can still enjoy the bar atmosphere without the part that has ruined their lives.
  7. blur92

Haha, they won't notice until they realize they're still sober. The Coors NA was pretty similar to the real thing. I was slightly surprised. Most bars carry at least O'Doul's. I have found only one that carries the Coors NA too. It's a disappointment they don't keep other brands in stock.
  8. Tournique

Good non alcoholic beer is kinda hard to find in stock. i'm having trouble finding good brands in Romania.
  9. blur92

I find it most difficult to find them in stock at actual bars. In stores I have only seen a few brands. I guess you would have to order it online which is inconvenient and defeats the purpose of it since I'd want to drink it at a bar.
  10. Tournique

Yea, I guess some bars offer non alcoholic beers as well but not the good brands. and the price is so jacked up that it ends up being the same price as a good brand.
  11. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

blur92 likes this.
  12. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

I'm glad non-alcoholic beer worked for you! I know so many alcoholics can't even be around the bar scene or around people drinking for too ling because it triggers them, but it's nice to see that you all can still go hang out at your normal places and not be tempted to drink.

I've never been a fan of O'Doul's but this is the first time I've heard of non-alcoholic Coors. I think I might just go check it out :p
    blur92 likes this.
  13. rabst

rabst Active Contributor

When I 'frequent' the bar (around once-a-week), I'll only BUY about 5 dollars of beer. On FREE drinks, I've gone up-to & over 7 drinks; but I don't ever drive.

In my experience, my body builds up an 'immunity' to the drunk feeling after a few weeks of 'frequenting.' Though they don't explain 'that immunity' (or maybe I'm the only one ... like a 'superpower' :cool:), io9 explains what the alcohol does to your brain to get you drunk (along with a little bit about the liver-thrashing).
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

No, I have tasted Odouls before and I never liked the taste. It's been almost 2 months since my last drink and I'm not missing it at all.
  15. rightct

rightct Community Champion

It's been a while since I heard someone actually use "non-alcoholic beer" in a sentence, haha. I personally think that its taste could be resembled to lemonade essentially, and compared to some brands, in my country the non-alcoholic beer is cheaper than lemonade!
    So, I subtly gave you a "no" answer for it. I drank it once and I thought I was drinking children beverage, haha.
    And also my sincere congratulations for your attempt of giving up on alcohol! If this method works for you, then you should use it any time.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To be honest I have tried a couple of non alcoholic beers and I have to admit I'm not really a fan.

I can see why some pepole will drink them, especially if they're trying to not drink alcohol and they like the taste of beer, they can be a replacement.

Personally though, I'd just rather stick to soft drinks.
  17. zplohr

zplohr Member

In Spain most bars have a NA beer on tap, that way when you feel drunk enough you can switch over but not feel pressured by friends to get drunk.
  18. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I have never heard about non-alcoholic beer but if it helps you to stop drinking alcohol then I suggest you continue to consume it. A beer like that will be great to have when you drive go out to parties and don't have a designated driver. These beers would also be good for teens who can't drink alcohol legally.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think this is a really good way to stop drinking -- a lot of the time it is the social pressures to drink that trap us...so when there's a non-alcoholic alternative that still allows you the social aspect of what drinking used to provide then it's useful. I think the only thing I would be wary about is the fact that you're still at a venue where the prime operation is that of serving alcohol. It can be easy to fall back into the habit in the early days of recovery when the addictive substance is so freely available.
  20. henry

henry Community Champion

Yes, I guess that type of beer could have a placebo effect. If it works for you, great. I wish it could work for me, but it would have to be non-alcoholic whiskey, or non-alcoholic rum, vodka, or any other harder stuff. At the end, I don't think that would work for me, because once I see I've got two bottles down and still no buzz, I'd eventually start drinking pepsi or coke and forget about the whole idea.