An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Non-cigarette Tobacco Use

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by McWindy, Nov 15, 2015.

1. McWindy

McWindy Member

I began dipping smokeless tobacco when I was 16. When I started off, a $2 can would last me a week, maybe two. I would dip only once every couple days, and my nicotine tolerance was nonexistent. When I turned 18 and was able to purchase dip myself, my usage skyrocketted. I had to have a dip after my coffee before I went to school. In college, I began my day with a dip, had one in during each of my lectures, and had to have one after a meal to feel fulfilled.

This fall I began attending a college with a no tobacco policy, so I couldn't carry around a spit bottle and dip during class. I found out about General Snus, which is very similar to dipping pouches, but because the tobacco is cured in a different manner, you don't have to spit, and it won't irritate your stomach. The Snus pouches are also a fair amount stronger than the pinches of long cut dip I was used to taking. I began with one, and it was strong enough to give me a medium-strong nicotine buzz. Now I use two at a time, and I have snus in my mouth more often than not when I'm awake. I believe my nicotine addiction is only compounded by my addiction to caffeine. I use them both to start my day, get through lectures, and do homework.

I've heard quitting smokeless tobacco is one of the most difficult types of tobacco to quit, because users get a much stronger dose of nicotine than a smoker gets from a cigarette. If I go 6 hours into the day without a dip or snus, I get very irritable, which I really hate. I've tried drinking more caffeine to get my day started without nicotine, but it seems to just further irritate my anxiety. I've heard about several companies that sell pouched coffee grounds as a quitting method for dipping, and I want to try them, but I feel like they won't do very much for me because my caffeine tolerance is so high already.

Anybody else here dip? Or dipped in the past and has successfully quit? What about people that are trying to quit right now? Share stories and advice.

Thanks in advance
    -M
  2. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

I don't dip but I smoke cigarettes. My dad used to dip but quit using nicotine patches. He would always hold a piece of cotton or something in his mouth to get that "feel" I guess. The same way people trying to quit smoking with hold a pencil to have the feeling of something in their hand. You should really try to free tobacco quit lines they'll send you free patches or gum, hopefully, that can help you.

I've heard cold turkey is practically impossible with dipping because of the high amount of nicotine.
  3. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Hi McWindy! I don't dip, but I do smoke cigarettes. I also start my day with nicotine and a coffee. When I didn't start off my day with a cig and a cup of coffee, I would turn into a very mean morning person. While trying to quit, I've discovered that if I eat hard cheese, like sharp cheddar with my morning coffee I can actually skip those first morning cigarettes and can go up to 5 hours without smoking after I wake up. Sometimes I try to keep real, real busy in order to extend that time even longer. Lots and lots of gum also helps my anxiety and moodiness. Oh and pretending to smoke helps my oral fixation too. Maybe you can fill your mouth with something else, so that you can pretend it's dip and you can fool your body.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have never seen or heard of smokeless tobacco or dipping before I read about it on these forums. I've never seen it available to buy anywhere and I've never seen anyone use it. Is this something that isn't done in the UK or something? I've heard of snuff and chewing tobacco but never this.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Be careful, @McWindy This kind of behavior has a high oral cancer incidence, and by high I mean really high :( Maybe you already know it, maybe you don't, I just wanted to let you know that in case you don't. My friend is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and has seen plenty of cases, and believe me when I tell you isn't pretty. Have you tried consulting a doctor specializing on addictions?
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I heard about liquid nicotine use. I'm assuming this is what your talking about when you say your dipping. Taking nicotine in liquid form could increase a dependence on nicotine. I think this habit should be stopped as quickly as possible. I wouldn't take a chance by continuing to use this form of nicotine. Weening your self off of this and quitting for good sounds like a good idea.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not familiar with dipping and sounds like you really get more nicotine on it than by smoking. Which is more dangerous for the health. I hope you will be able to totally get rid of this addiction even in a very slow process.
  8. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I've never been accustomed to this very specific way of consuming tobacco either, nor seen anyone using it. @zaerine In fact, nicotine isn't what affects your health whilst smoking. You have nicotine in your body and, as a matter of fact, brain receptors to nicotine. This substance is what gives you the horrendous addiction to always having it in your body, thus the cigarette addiction. But, yeah, if you split hairs, nicotine is the worst in the cigarette due to the addiction it causes.
  9. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

Never tried this myself, I only do the regular cigarettes. From what I've read here and there quitting this kind of smoking is a bit trickier. Everything is possible of course but this one obviously needs more effort.