New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Non-USA Sober Living Homes

Discussion in 'Sober Living Homes' started by JonnyMacdonald, May 20, 2015.

1. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

I was specifically looking for information for Sober Living Homes in Canada, but then I got to thinking that if I can only find American sources, perhaps people from other countries could benefit from a more internationally focused thread regarding Sober Living Homes. So might as well cast the net wide and see what information I can sniff out that relates to Sober Living Homes across the globe.
    I am hoping that this is not just an American trend but that there are some worldwide, if not then perhaps this can be the stepping stone to it's spread outside the USA.
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

While I did not know about Sober Living Homes in Canada, it was obvious to some extent, because may federal programs to fight addictions or other health problems are usually shared between these two countries.

However I haven't heard of any other elsewhere in the world.
  3. JayLyn

JayLyn Active Contributor

I have had experience with what you could call "sober living homes" in |Canada. I don't know of any government run ones right now, but I do know that several private ones have existed and likely still do exist. There are two types of sober living homes that I know of in Canada. One is a group home that is treatment based in which residents are on a schedule and must attend groups and meetings within the home and the other is simply someone who rents out a home where all tenants must be clean and sober.
    With the first type, I went to one and have mixed feelings about it. It was not government funded, therefore it was not government regulated. The program was put together by an entrepreneur as many of them are. People interested in making money off someone else's suffering. In fact the person who founded the house I was in even told us that he believed that there was money to be made in the face of disaster, or words very close to that. The clients were charged what the market could bear. In other words, the rate to stay there (meals included) was exactly the same amount as a person got on social assistance.
    In Canada these places are called recovery houses and about 15 years ago they were popping up all over the lower mainland of BC. Most of them were poorly run and had unqualified staff running them. The one I was in was not much better what with the head counselor running off with one of the clients and leaving the place high and dry and the person who ran the whole show, ran out of money and the clients were left without adequate food and the staff did not get paid for over six weeks. However, some of the staff had a lot of heart and stayed on despite the lack of wages. It was these people who were the heart and soul of the place and I did learn some from them. I managed to stay clean there for a period of six months or so in one stretch out of the one year and a third I stayed there.
    Would I recommend a recovery house to someone who wanted to stay clean and sober. I would have to say be very careful and check the place out thoroughly first.