New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

NOPE (Not One Puff Ever)

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by lonewolves, Jun 5, 2018.

1. lonewolves

lonewolves Active Contributor

It’s been just over a year, and I’m proud to say that I truly believe this is my final cigarette quit.

In the past I failed because I always convinced myself that I could have a puff here and there and still be a non-smoker. I couldn’t. So this time around I followed NOPE. Not One Puff Ever. Which is super easy for me to remember when I’m anxious af and want to light one up.

I did have 2 hiccups along the way since I started this (final) quit in March of last year. 5 puffs one night in July, and a full cigarette this February. But I kept track and still continued along with my head held high, knowing that I didn’t let myself down or disappoint myself, because I know I’m strong enough to do this.

I can only hope that one day NOPE will help for one of you during a struggle. Even if it’s Not One Puff Today instead.
    Josh111187 and deanokat like this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

i like that... (NOPE) same here, can't have one puff...ever. and that has kept me off cigarettes for more than 20 years....

thanks for sharing!
    Josh111187 and deanokat like this.
  3. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I like it,this one i struggle with for sure,ya i don't know this particular addiction truly pisses me off.NOPE......i will try this...it makes sense
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Congrats, @lonewolves! And I love that NOPE mnemonic, too! FWIW, I'm in the same boat. Quit smoking and realized I can't take a puff ever. If I do, I'll be a hostage to tobacco once again. And I don't ever want to go back there! It's been 10,100 days for me. That's 27 years, 7 months, and 26 days...not that I'm counting. ;)

You got this, my friend! Just keep going!!
    Josh111187 and lonewolves like this.
  5. True concern

Props to you both,this one seems the easiest to quit yet here i am smoking while typing....
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Dude! What don't you get about Not One Puff Ever!!! ;)
    True concern likes this.
  7. True concern

Ya i know...i will beat this...i have to
    deanokat likes this.
  8. lonewolves

You definitely have the willpower to! I don’t know how much cigarettes cost where you are, but they are 16$CAN for a pack of 20 where I live, so that made it a little easier for me to kick!!
    deanokat likes this.
  9. True concern

Ya 10$ U.S.a pack is alot of money for sure
  10. Dominica

Super expensive everywhere!
  11. Josh111187

Josh111187 Community Champion

Traded smoking for counting.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. Josh111187

You know I saw my grandpa die slowly from cigarettes and I was a kid while seeing this. I have honestly never in my life taken a puff of one cig. Now I smoked a pack of joints a day for about fourteen years don't know which is worse.
    But my grandpa die slowly from emphysema and I literally watched his body suffocate itself to death. From the time I remember him first saying to me boy, little man I sure wish your old grandpa could get a deep breath, I watched him steadily decline. He had quit smoking about six years before this too. He just didn't quit soon enough.
    Anyway, it took him six years too slowly suffocate to death.
    Probably why I have been willing to pump tar heroin in the side of my neck but too afraid to smoke a cigarette.
    Y'all please stop smoking! Its sooo bad for you. I am not trying to be funny either its just as deadly as all the5rest of it.
  13. Dominica

my mom died of lung cancer at a young age 57. sucked. i agree, do whatever it takes to quit smoking...keep trying!
  14. True concern

15. True concern

I appreciate everyone of your responses and they make me feel the way i should feel about smoking...like a damn idiot.So those family members whose hands i held while they died...I watched up close exactly what @Josh111187 described,my uncle's ex the one who nearly died at our home on thanksgiving..well that day she had just been released from the hospital and i never told the whole story of that night but you all know I'm about to write a book and elaborate lol,i don't know i just put it all out there, so as if i don't have a big enough issue with my uncle..anyways here goes.So i often bitch at my uncle for what he has done to the family and he is one of these people that would rather be homeless than get sober,i don't say that lightly as i truly care for homeless people but he flat out says he doesn't care his dope is his only true love and he proves it time and time again.So 1 thing he does that drives me insane is he uses my mom as a safety net while coming down but he will get high and go out to the boulevard and take advantage of women addicted to meth and exploit there addiction for sex...This fucks with me in so many ways,that's how i ended up with a 7 year old sister anyways, the night before thanksgiving his girlfriend at the time started having a minor stroke and couldn't walk so he let her out at the hospital and she crawled to the front door where she asked the security guard to help her,to which they replied"if you can get in the door they will help your homeless asss"I could write alot on that alone but i won't anyways she got in and upon her release thanksgiving day my uncle was off exploiting some other poor woman and he refused to pick her up,so she took a taxi cab to our home and we had never met the woman before but even though at that time i was drinking alot and for the most part off the meth,on this night it was all alcohol as i was starting to remember abuse i suffered as a child so about 19 beers in this woman comes in our home and i tell her fu×k my uncle sit down for a real thanksgiving dinner,she was stunned being homeless and i mean i stacked her a plate,probably almost 2 lbs of food she sits down and asked my mom for a cigarette before she was going to eat I'm passed 24 beers by then so i headed off to bed and in 3 minutes my little sister throws the door open and yells "She's dieing....help her" I went into heartless mode because there was no time for panic or she was dead.I ran out and seen a woman stiff and blue with her head back on a chair not breathing.I picked her up and laid her flat on the floor and did CPR and she let out a gasp and looked me in the eye's and said "Help help"I had my mom call 911 and kept the woman alive while they were in route,they took her to the hospital and stabilized her and later that night released her and she at that time told us the Dr at the previous hospital had found a blood clot in her neck and put her on 3 different blood thinners 1 being an injectable,so when she smoked that cigarette her blood was so thin that the chemicals in the cigarette replaced all her oxygen in her blood and she was out.So anyways she comes back to our home and eats and my uncle shows up and starts bitching at her for smoking cigarettes and then goes in the bathroom and smoked meth with her....At that moment I made eye contact with my uncle and he knew it was time to go,so he takes off out the door and again leaves this woman behind.Anyways she eventually left our home and my uncle all for the best i assume as she understood i would not allow my sister to see that again and my uncle well he's still a piece of sh×t and honestly he is the only addict i have ever met that i have no use for,honestly i can't stand this man,but he feels ok about all those event's because well he doesn't smoke cigarettes so it's our fault that happened to her...........I can not describe the pure garbage this man is.Anyways i know this is all over the place and i apologize,just venting i guess.Stay Strong and God Bless
    Dominica likes this.
  16. Josh111187

Man, @True concern, that is some seriously heavy carp that went down under your own roof! And your sister, I'm confused, is she your cousin and you took her in as a sister?
    Anyway I can't believe,well figure of speech as I do believe that you're uncle would use while your sis is home. But, wow this guy has got to have a limit somewhere right?
    I'm praying for you brother.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  17. True concern

Nope he has no limit...Or i will say i don't believe he does.My sister comes from another woman he was with and cps was going to take the baby so my mom adopted her at 8 day's old because she thought it was his kid,but nope not his someone else's and i worry for her as she get's older because she looks so much like her birth mom and my uncle was with her while she was under 18years old and he was in his mid 40's..Like i said i have many many issue's with this man.
  18. lonewolves

@Josh111187 @True concern

Thanks for sharing! It’s wild the situations you guys have had to overcome! My life is so boring in comparison; I have lived at least half my life in places where no one even locks the doors to their houses or vehicles.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  19. True concern

Wow.That sounds peaceful!! You know just reading your response got me thinking,i wonder if the influence of our surrounding area and the speed at which we function in said areas has any impact on how we turn out?It's interesting to me to think of it like this and it actually throws my mind off into scientific mode to think all we have to do is step back and look in,as if to eliminate ourselves from the situation and be able to look in from another's eye's...Interesting for sure.I don't know how i feel about this now.I guess through technology and data collected we probably appear like lab rats on someone's computer simulations.Anyways i don't give a sh×t about that thought other than to say,if that indeed is what's happening i hope it's being done to help people in general.I'm not saying that anyone on this site is doing that I'm just saying it's possible someone is considering the amount of shared experience here.Oh well life goes on
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    deanokat and Dominica like this.
  20. True concern

@Josh111187 I have been thinking of this all day and my mom told me she received a letter from my uncle and he said he needed this time in jail to sober up and says he has gotten close to God.I again will give him another chance as i am not about to dispute what he claims as the Lord work's in mysterious ways, but i remain skeptical only because he made the same exact statement last time he was in jail and when he got released it took him all of 1 hour to get dope so time will tell i know and i won't treat him different until he gives me another reason to,so i pray to God he actually has changed
    deanokat, Dominica and Josh111187 like this.