An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Normal with Substances

Discussion in 'Other Substances' started by darkrebelchild, Mar 13, 2016.

1. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

When a person has been using substances over time and has a personality that aligns with his using because he is on it like almost once in four hours; people know him with this state of not being high but on medication. Does that mean he is normal with substances since they keep him in a regular state of mind and he is cautious and aware of all his actions?
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I have read that some people are more genetically predisposed to be addicted to drugs. In other words, their genetic makeup determines the possibility of them being addicted to drugs. Add to that the environment can also affect their possibility of being addicted as well. Apparently, there are some people who has a protective genetic makeup against drugs.

And in that person's case, he might be part of the group of people who are lucky to be safer from getting addicted to drugs. So since he acts normal and is cautious, it might be because he is not genetically predisposed to being addicted to drugs.

Whereas some people, their family might have a history of addiction. Or maybe they grew up in an environment with addicts as well. This have raised their risk factor for being an addict. Most especially if these two factors are present in their lives.
  3. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I think that anyone can become addicted if the drug is powerful and potent enough. Many people become addicted to heroin for instance the first time they put a needle in their arm. It just happens.
  4. explorerx7

explorerx7 Senior Contributor

There are some persons who when they are addicted to a substance, it's like a normal dependency and as long as they have the substance it seems that they are in a normal state of mind. I have known a person who has to get a shot of alcohol before he starts the workday in order to perform effectively throughout the day. If he does not get that shot of alcohol he is completely out of sorts and unable to perform at an optimum level.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

There is what you call "moderate addiction," meaning the person can't stop using drugs but he can still maintain control over his mental and emotional faculties. The person may have been innately resilient, so he does not exhibit the same behavior as other hardcore substance abusers. However, just because this is the case, he shouldn't be complacent. We never know for how long he'll be able to hold on. He must be rehabilitated before the drug succeeds in taking control of his senses.
  6. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I think depending on the substance and the person then a person could be able to maintain control over his/her mental faculties. This is one reason why some people do not realize someone is under the influence of drugs because the user seems normal most of the time. I think that once the user loses control then their addiction has gotten to the point where they cannot maintain this control and the drugs are taking over their lives.