An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Obama chewing Nicorette created quite a stir

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Davienna, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I read an article on another website about Mr. Obama chewing Nicorette Gum at the summit in Beijing. The Chinese thinks it is disrespectful when it is only for the man's health, he was simply trying to cut the addiction. This is some promotion for Nicorette Gums eh?
  2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I had no idea he smoked in the first place. At least he's trying to cut back on the cigarettes. Wouldn't look good if he took a drag on National Television.
  3. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Obama has been using Nicorette for quite some time, and it was probably a little disrespectful for him to chew the gum considering the circumstances. It's not like he'd light up a cigarette in the same situation if he wasn't chewing the gum. Still, everyone has their vices, and Nicorette does help smokers or past smokers kick their cigarette habit.
  4. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

Yes it's well known that he's a smoker which I believe is pretty rare for a US president. I can't recall if he has ever been seen smoking on tv, but I think he always has nicorette in his mouth. I don't know how the chinese saw him chewing. You are not really supposed to chew nicorette, you let it sit against the gums.
  5. ally79

ally79 Member

That was exactly what I was thinking. I mean it is great he is trying to quit, but he wouldn't have lit up a cigarette in the room so I can see why they might feel disrespected.
  6. Sonjapunk

Sonjapunk Member

Well, he's doing it for his health, isn't he? He's cutting up the cigarette, so I guess if I was one of those people who called it disrespectful, I'd try to understand why he has the need to chew Nicorette. It's best to see him chewing than to to see him smoking aswell.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Really? I did not know he had a problem. Closet smoker maybe. Yeah it wouldn't be too good for the image. He does kind of look like a smoker. Heavy drinker even now that I think about it. Lol I shouldn't say that. I really don't know. I do know that Bush was a really heavy drinker, well at least according to the movie. Who knows.
  8. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Were the Chinese offended by President Obama's chewing gum in general, or did this only hit the news because it was Nicorette gum? Good for President Obama for attempting to quit smoking, if in fact it was Nicorette gum. Perhaps it will spark interest in others to try Nicorette gum as a way to stop smoking.

If people were offended simply by his chewing gum, regardless of the kind it was at a summit, I can see where they are coming from. When people are talking to me with gum in their mouths it is distracting and a little bit gross.
  9. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I don't see how it's disrespectful. How he was caught in the first place. Nicotine gum isn't chewed like regular gum, you only chew it for a little while then place it in between your gum and the inside of your mouth. Only when you need a little more nicotine do you chew it a little more. I've used nicotine gum before and no one was the wiser.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I don't live in the U.S so this doesn't affect me but I think the chinese people are a little bit too stuck up here. It's not that easy to overcome an addiction, at least give the man props for actually trying to better himself. I don't see why it would be considered an insult.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I'm also not from the US and so wasn't even aware that Obama was a smoker to be honest.

As far as the Chinese go, I wouldn't care less what they thought, as a nation that as such a disgusting history when it comes to human rights and the barbaric treatment of certain individuals, chewing gum should be the last of their worries.
  12. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

I won't offer any opinion on the Chinese but I was taught not to chew gum in church, meetings or when speaking with others. I was told that it was disrespectful. To this day I only chew gum in casual settings. I give props to Mr. Obama for trying to break a very addictive habit (if that's what he was doing).
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I didn't know Obama smoked either but it doesn't surprise me. I do think was probably just a clash of different cultures and social ideals more than anything. Some cultures find our hand gestures which we often use automatically without even thinking about it to be rude or offensive. In some parts of the world, waving at someone or putting your hand out to shake theirs is considered rude. Additionally, is there anything Obama does without causing a stir?
  14. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

Oh! Well that's surprise. I didn't know President Obama was a smoker. Well, well, well, I guess I finally have something in common with a US President. LOL Just kidding guys. I have a question about this, how would anyone know what kind of the President was chewing, like seriously? On another note, the Chinese really need to get off their high-horse and get over it. It's not like it's the first time they meet the President. Both governments have met many times during the past 2 terms, and he has been able to show his humility, good manners, diplomacy and wisdom. So if someone has the time to get upset over a little gum then they either have no real problems, or have a lack of anything to do.
  15. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I wasn't aware that Obama had a habit to kick in the first place, but I don't think it's a huge deal to catch him chewing nicorette. It's not a huge deal. If anything, I respect him for trying to kick a nasty habit. I don't see what the huge deal is. He is only human.
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

He might have been very keen on doing that. Even his aides could have not realised it if he thought of it as being sensitive. There is the political side if he did it and the fact that we can not prove where he bought it from or who brought it to him. I don't believe that Obama is always right that is why I am not defending him.
  17. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

He could just have avoided that. It wouldn't kill him if he didn't chew nicorette for a few hours anyway. He is the US president and should have respected his hosts in that summit in China.
  18. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I am not aware that he is a smoker as it seems that he has a healthy living. I am also not aware of that issue but I think that he should just avoided chewing any gum if he is in a conference. He can do that later in a more appropriate time.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Quite honestly he probably didn't know it wasn't culturally appropriate. I wouldn't even notice someone chewing gum in a meeting unless they were literally chewing like a cow or something!

I think it's great that he uses a gum product. Obviously he's trying to address his dependence on cigarettes and in my opinion that's wonderful!
  20. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Hey the man has to do what he has to do. I don't understand why they think this was disrespectful It's not like he was popping bubbles during a conversation. Sometimes you get cravings and they have to be dealt with right away. I wonder what's in nicorette anyway?