An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Obamacare any help?

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by sillylucy, Oct 22, 2014.

1. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I recently got approved for some Medicare and I went to the dentist last week. It was a total bust. The dentist didn't even want to clean my teeth because I didn't have any money to pay for my fillings. So how would I use this for treatment? Anyone have any success with programs on medicare or is it hopeless?
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

The best bet would be to ask for the services they can provide you, within the guidelines of your medicare. If you're looking for treatment outside of that, and additional insurance is not an option, there are usually free clinics in large cities, and dental schools that often take payment plans and offer free or discounted services.
  3. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

Under the Affordable Care Act my sister has had more doctor visits and trip to the dentist than I can remember her ever having. She enrolled in the ACA "Obama Care" last year. I don't know what level plan she took but I think it was the middle one - Silver - if I remember correctly. She's never had insurance via work but has worked all her life, and at well paying jobs! But I think it varies from state to state as far as coverage. Her actually policy is with Blue Cross Blue Shield. If I get more info on her coverage I'll post it. I'm covered at work but our Dental is basically 2 cleanings a year and some payment on other things. I'm still paying on my root job!
    Nick W. likes this.
  4. mkCampbell

By chance my sissy just called me to ask about borrowing my pressure washer. She didn't want me to think it was stolen so I asked her about her dental. She said her plan included "a very basic" dental and that's one reason she picked it. A couple of cleanings and some emergency stuff.

She said there were about ten or more plans to choose from and almost all were Blue Cross and Blue Shield. Some had dental and some didn't. She went with a Silver plan with dental. Another plan she looked over did not offer dental but she could pick up Dental as an option for about an extra $10 bucks a month.

So I went to the Healthcare.gov website and found this link.
    https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/dental-coverage/

Oh, and she said to remind you that the ACA enrollment starts in November. Hope this helps.
    sillylucy and Nick W. like this.
  5. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think the costs are increasing each month, and some are not joining it as costs and what it can and cannot do for you depending on plans you pick. Sometimes you may have to, go to another dentist and get it done cheaper or pay in a payment plan in small amounts. So need to count the costs and see where you can save money, and how the service is as you are paying for the work to be done to teeth. Make sure dentist is credited one and, communicates with you and explains what they can do and understand the services which will be provided and a misunderstand does not occur.
  6. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Another option for you would be to call ahead and get the actually cost of the procedure and save towards that, if possible. I was a medical biller and our office also did dental billing. That was one option that was mentioned to patients who couldn't pay at the time of service for both medical and dental visits. Also you may have a better chance going to a dental clinic they may have a sliding fee scale in place, of course call ahead to find out. I pray it works out for you.
    Nick W. likes this.
  7. Nick W.

Some places will even be more than happy to offer a flexible payment plan, and will take care of you once you meet like 20% of the overall bill. It's always worth asking, the worst thing they can say is NO.
  8. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thank you so much for all of the feedback everyone! I also have Blue Shield Anthem and I live in Los Angeles county. I should look into dental clinics or the dentist student program at UCLA. I was just in a really bad head space and so frustrated that I went through the whole X ray process and they refused to clean my teeth. I am pretty sure my plans covers cleanings and cavities. Thanks for the info mkCampbell! Will look into it!
  9. mkCampbell

Not a problem - glad I could offer a suggestion. Every plan is different so thing will vary. Good luck on this because I know when I broke a back tooth and my dentist was out on vacation I could not get in for about a week and it drove me CRAZY! The pain was just enough to bother you all day long. Ended up being a crown and root canal before it was all over.
  10. I Believe Obama Care can help with dental problems. It likely depends on the problem you have. But in many cases, you can receive dental care if it is serious enough that it could cause other physical problems. People who are on Government backed insurance plans can often go for dental care if they have a serious medical health issue that could be worsened by poor oral health.
  11. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Active Contributor

You need to go figure out exactly what problems you have and exactly what your medicare covers - there are many informational sites for this. Once you do that, then you can determine what is best in this situation we don't know enough to just help you.
  12. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

Personally I don't really expect there to be a lot I help from the Obamacare program. I have a friend that has this and she needed to go to the Dr. For some very odd reason she was declined. I personally myself don't have any insurance, at this particular time. I've applied for many types of insurance and I have been refused more times than I can count. I personally don't understand why are how someone can be refused to going to a hospital or a doctor's office. But sadly I have seen it more than a few times, when clearly people are going to get sick and have medical problems and support a life.
  13. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

dental coverage is seldom offered in any medical plan in the US, normally your company or you have to enroll in coverage outside the plan, it is not to expensive but as far as dental is concerned you need to be real with yourself at what you might need and weight that cost as opposed to just paying cash.

As far as rehap and addiction care goes Obamacare has changed a lot on what is available in low cost insurance. I live in NY so I will only comment on my experience here. I used to have Healthy New York which is not Medicade but not top of the line, it is insurance for people that do not have it at their job and have a low income. That was discontinued because of Obamacare and the change in requirements for Insurers. One of the major things that was added was the ability for people on Obamacare in NY to receive treatment for Addiction and mental health issues. My plan now (which is actually cheaper then Healthy NY) gives a max of 10 yearly visits at like $20 ea. If you get hospitalized, say for withdrawal or detox there is coverage for that although I am not sure of the extent.
  14. mkCampbell

Please look into the Affordable Care Act! It's different from state to state but works. Kentucky calls it Kentucky Care or something like that for instance. My sister in Georgia is now on the ACA / Obama Care and she has Blue Cross Blue Shield. It's not government health care - it's all through private insurance companies. It's at least worth checking out. Don't leave a possible solution on the table.
  15. Nick W.

I can only speak from my personal experience, but I had been denied insurance at work, and independently, 4 times, because of diabetes. I was paying 800 a month for my family to have insurance, with very basic dental. I'm not paying just over 300 a month, still with basic dental, but was not denied, and my out of pocket cost has gone down to zero, whereas I was paying 200 a month on prescriptions alone, not including office visits, labs, and other diagnostic tests that I was paying out of pocket for. It has certainly helped me in a major way. The dental is still basic, and really only covers yearly cleanings, but they will discount some services, and don't seem to have a problem billing me, rather than asking for the money up front.
  16. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

Federal insurance is pretty much a joke. The stuff you don't need is covered and the services you do are not. You really need a supplemental insurance to make sure that you are covered on both ends.
  17. Nick W.

Supplemental Insurance is a great idea, for those that can afford it. It really does help make up for what your primary insurance does not cover. Some places will offer pretty great prices if it's just for additional coverage, but it's important to really look over what is covered, and what the payments/copays/deductibles are.
  18. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I don't think the program is useless per say it's only that there could be some services which do not fall under the scheme.In such a scenario,supplementary insurance would come in handy to cover for the omissions.I think the Medicare has been of great help to millions who couldn't afford any treatment and its advantages far outweigh its disadvantages.
  19. Nick W.

Everything has its limits. You're just going to have to take the good with the bad, and find ways to resolve the rest. Payment plans, billing, one issue at a time, they might not be the best options, but you have to do what needs to be done.
  20. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

I'm approved for Medicare through Obamacare as of May of 2014, and I love it. But I don't think that there any serious resources for drug and alcohol abuse besides going to the hospital for some sort of emergency. There are some therapists who are covered and take my insurance, but not a whole lot, and I'm honestly not sure if they're like specialized to help with drug and alcohol abuse!