An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Obsession

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by sunflogun, Apr 23, 2015.

1. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

My thoughts were constantly in that loop. I either wanted a pill right then, or if I got one and was feeling it, I would start trying to figure out how I was going to get more. It was a constant loop.
  2. sunflogun

sunflogun Community Champion

Yep, that's the process all right, unless we are high we are always thinking about our next fix, it's a sad reality because we live to the next fix.
  3. kana_marie

That was the most stressed I had ever been! Honestly, I'm surprised my heart didnt give out. Lol
  4. sunflogun

It's surprising indeed or eventually not, but the human body and mind are very resistant, but later on if we manage to recover, the side effects are easy to see.
  5. juno

juno Community Champion

Obsession and constant preoccupation with using is an addiction. It's what makes it impossible for us to function in society and get on with our daily life. That is why everone starts noticing and you need help. You start to fail on all yuor responsibilities.
    kana_marie likes this.
  6. kana_marie

Saying I failed on all my responsibilities, though? Oh yeah!! Bigger than most people could imagine
  7. sunflogun

Not only we fail on our responsibilities, more, we become criminals and started breaking trust from the people around us, lying, stealing, whatever it takes to get us to where we want.
  8. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I have obsessive compulsive disorder and when I stopped drinking t got so much worse. I am obsessed by planning and I used to plan every single move I ever made and if anything beyond my control changed my plan then I would flip out completely and could not deal with it
  9. sunflogun

That disorder eventually could help you to stop drinking because you can plan your steps towards recovery? Usually I tend to be obsessed to complete certain tasks too, it's really hard to let go, but ultimately it's all in our head.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I suffer from OCD, so my obsessions switched from one thing to another. My biggest worry was to have enough money for alcohol and drugs, that was my obsession. The thought of not being able to either get high or drunk really scared me. Thinking of that nowadays is so shocking for me. Now my worries are so different. Amazing how things change once you sober up.
  11. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I was a clock watcher at work. All I could think about the closer to clocking out was a cold beer. Beer, beer, beer, and more beer. It was a huge part of my sad excuse for a life for a long time. Not anymore I watch the clock for a hot cup of coffee, and my favorite t.v show now. ;)
    I'm loving life now I am no longer a slave to booze thank you sweet jesus.
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes, but mine happens through food. The chemicals in foods do this to me. Overspending and obsessiveness with certain things. I can imagine that drugs do that too. Sugar in food is actually like crack or cocaine. White sugar, not too many people realize this. You don't want to eat it. What I wonder is does stuff like this in food feed a drug problem or add to it. I've detoxed off of junk food many times. I don't want to say what I've been able to kick because I'll probably crave it tomorrow. When I get extra money I want to obsessively spend it all and I am not happy until it is all gone. If that is not some sort of an addiction I don't know what is. I am getting better with it. If I fill up on the right foods I don't even think about the other. If I fall short in healthy calories I want junk. I seem to have more control over all when I eat healthier.
  13. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

Obsession is a kind of repetitive movie playing continuously in our mind over and over, and the main problem is stopping it.

Happened also to me when I was so addicted to alcohol, and doing whatever to find it somewhere at home, even drinking pure alcohol that I found sometime in the first aid box!

I'm not sure how to deal with obsession effectively, but what I did was substituting the repetitive mental movie starring alcohol, with another starring the prize I would receive for recovery, but above all, doing all possible to avoid including any credit (or discredit) to "alcohol" in the cast.
  14. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Every person has his/her fair share of obsessions. Your obsession may have been the result of taking the substance. For others, however, the obsession sprung out of the need to escape something. Someone who wants to escape responsibilities at home, for instance, becomes a gamer or frequent party-goer. There are all sorts of reason why people become obsessed but rest assured, everyone feels that way.
  15. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

When I first started to withdraw, I began to try anything and everything in order to take my mind away from the drink. So yes, I did indeed start to get a little bit obsessive over tidying the house. Things had to be a certain way, and if they weren't I would redo the housework until things were up to my standard. My family often joke (because they can make small jokes about it now that I haven't drunk for months) that the house has never been as tidy - and it certainly isn't as tidy now that my symptoms aren't as bad, either!
  16. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Fixing the house up in an obsessive way is a good thing. Redo the housework. This is funny. You are like Nicolas Cage in matchstick men. Maybe that will happen to me when I get past the foods I don't want to eat. Detox effects are the worst.
  17. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

I was obsessed with marijuana for a really long time. If I had a bag, you better believe I was smoking constantly, high every hour of the day, until the bag was gone. I couldn't control myself, if I had it, it was going to be smoked. I couldn't just "save it" for another day or time, it was getting smoked and I was going through my work days high.

The biggest factor in helping me get clean was exercise. It really can't be said enough... Exercise is AMAZING.
  18. PLP Rob

PLP Rob Active Contributor

Absolutely. Alcohol was my first thought when I woke up (as I was invariably hung over), and it was all I thought about until I could get my hands on more. It's an insane cycle, and the inability to think about anything else is what separates an alcoholic from a regular drinker, which is why relationships and work suffer—everything takes a back seat to drinking.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

I was not obsessed with my addiction, but I used it as a tool to cope with depression. What motivated me was the desire to prove myself that I can do it with my willpower, without needing and help from outside. This and constant encouragements made me beat my addiction and be a free person again.
  20. BrandonA

BrandonA Active Contributor

That's exactly what addictives do to you. A lot of kids still operate under the delusion that some drugs make you a better person. They don't; they just lock you into an endless cycle of use. The drug becomes their life.