An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Obsession

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by sunflogun, Apr 23, 2015.

1. thekennie

thekennie Member

I am obsessed with self harm.. It's my addiction, it's honestly all I think about in the back of my mind everyday. Overcoming this has been the hardest thing I've ever had to do in the twenty short years that I have lived. Unfortunately I've been dealing with this for eight year now. I am not giving up, it isn't worth it the guilt I would hold on myself. Stay Strong my friends. <3
  2. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never been obsessed with drugs, alcohol, or other substances. But I have somehow developed an unhealthy obsession with a person, and that was a terrible phase for me. I became clingy, depressive, anxious, etc. It's a good thing I have finally let go of that person, and I have now moved on with life.
  3. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

Yes, no matter what I was doing, I was already imagining and preparing my next round of cigarettes, every time that I had a break of school or I was going out with my friends, cigarettes were always there, I'm glad that I'm trying to quit, it was dangerous for my friends too.
  4. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

I back you up in this. I also think that getting hooked is worse than obsession. I also have an uncle who cannot go for three hours without smoking. I fear that his condition is getting worse each day but sadly he has not realized that. I have read several articles about the effects of smoking and hope you have come across some too. What do you think can be done to stop such behavior in active smokers?
  5. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

I think that's what everyone experiences when they want to quit. It's part of the withdrawal phase. Some are luckier than others in what concerns the cravings they incur, but that's another kettle of fish.

And yeah, I agree with you totally sunflogun, when we feel like we have quit something, we have to check out whether we jumped to other bad habits. Because if that happens, you surely will quit on the former addiction, but will also develop another one, and possibly more dreadful than the previous.