An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Odd kind of semi cold turkey method

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Sarman, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Sarman

Sarman Member

I have this strange kind of cold turkey method I used, that sort of worked for me so I thought I'd share.

Say you are on 20 per day. What you do is quit cold turkey, and wait until you inevitably fail. At that time though, you should have gotten to the stage where you only need about 10 per day as your brain is already partially readjusted. Limit yourself to that and then start the process again.

Tapering is a slower way of readjusting, and with regular cold turkey, people give up completely when the give in, this way is the best for me, and might be for you too.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

That's a good idea actually. It's so easy when relapsing to smoke a few in a row to get over the stress of relapsing, as ironic as that sounds.
  3. Plus

Plus Member

I agree with this method. I was able to cut down from 20+ a day to about 5 a day in a matter of a few months. All it takes sometimes is a small distraction such as playing a game on your phone rather than smoking that extra cigarette on your lunch break. It's definitely tempting to just reach for it or unknowingly light it up out of habit but a small step such as taking one out a week can make a huge difference!

Every time I had tried to quit cold turkey I failed miserably within the first day. I was not only irritable and snappy but I was also sluggish and worn out, which didn't make me very nice to be around or work with (and I bet my customers hated it as well). By taking smoking out slowly, you reduce the risk of your body going into shock without it and make it much easier on your mind.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Scientifically, this is the most intuitive and productive way to quit. Do not rely on nicotine patches and other things that are a waste of money. Use your own will power and your own determination to quit and finally beat your terrible addiction.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

That really does make a lot of sense because you train your brain not to smoke the 20 a day that it is used to and you can go longer periods of time without smoking. I like it and think some progress is better for your body than none at all.
  6. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

I know what you mean. That sudden stop drove me nuts for days. I did think about cutting back a little every day or two but I was desperate. I used to smoke like 10 - 15 sticks a day but somehow I managed to keep up with it, almost a month now since I quit. It is doable but not really recommendable.
  7. Beautyspin

Beautyspin Active Contributor

There are apps (mobile) that help you with that. Just to give an example, you feed the number you are smoking today, give a date when you want to quit (say ten or twenty days from today) then the app will tell you when you can smoke your next cigarette and slowly wean you off. I am not telling that it will work, it may work and there is some formula it applies based on the time of day and son on.
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

This reminds me of starving yourself and letting your stomach shrink. Eventually when you start eating again, you'll only eat half as much as you use to. Sounds interesting, but hey, if it works or at least cuts your use in half that more power to you.