An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Officials coming down on doctors

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Deeishere, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

In our home country, doctors also prescribe heavy dose of sedative drugs. Doctors are under pressure to cure patients fast. Furthermore, patients seem to switch doctors when they do not get results in 4-5 days, on the other hand doctors also do not want to lose their customer base, therefore, they are prescribing heavy dose or strong drugs.
  2. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

In my country is is just the opposite often times. We have doctors running scared to prescribe needed drugs. This isn't always the case, and we do have issues with over prescription in some places too, but the backlash and media attention when it happens sends the pendulum the other way.
  3. OHelloMe

OHelloMe Active Contributor

@Vinaya & @JohnBeaulieu I had the thought that you're both speaking about the same country. From my experience, it really just depends on the local city based culture and doctor when it comes to handling the need for pain medication.
  4. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

No, we aren't. Clearly.
  5. OHelloMe

@JohnBeaulieu Perhaps you're not from the same country or perhaps you are. You very well could be in the same country but different cities. This is especially true if you both are speaking about the United States. In my experience prescriptions and culture surrounding narcotics vary more doctor to doctor and city to city than they do country to country.
  6. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

There should be a database where prescriptions are filed. This would keep doctors in check from over prescribing or giving prescriptions to a patient who has already gotten them from another doctor. I'm glad the feds are cracking down on prescription drugs.
  7. OHelloMe

That database exists. However, it is flawed and some states are linked up through one system and others are linked up through another. I honestly am of the opinion that the DEA needs to redirect its resources into tracking down those engaged illicit drug trafficking activities.

This trend of putting physicians in prison for supplying medications is unacceptable. I do not believe a doctor should be imprisoned for providing his or her patients with pain medication. The federal government are NOT doctors and this culture or idea that they're more informed than physicians about a patients pain is ridiculous. Just like there is a separation of church and state there needs to be a seperation of government and healthcare.

Obviously that isn't happening and the trend is the polar opposite of this, but they're putting vulnerable chronic pain patients at risk.