An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Oh, the insomnia!

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by GettingBetter, Nov 19, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Any drugs that we use and than stop mess up our sleeping patterns, so that just shows how strong they are. We need to be careful with the substances we use or else we will pay the price.
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I always pick up a book when I get insomnia, I think starting out a personal blog or journal is very useful in order to get things off your head and go to bed with a clear and relax mind. keep it positive my friend !
  3. melody

melody Active Contributor

I use melatonin. The think about that is that you actually need to be rotating that. My doctor said you should not use it, an keep using it. You may want to ask your doctor, but mine said it works best when you use it three or four days on and two off, and then repeat. After a month or two, you should take a full weeks break.
  4. oportosanto

It's terrible when we cannot sleep because it make us tired for the next day and it's a wasted day. Ridiculous enough at night we might not be able to sleep again, so some natural supplements could eventually help.
  5. guitarmom1279

guitarmom1279 Member

I hate the idea of anyone having to deal with insomnia. I suffer from it quite often and is one of the most aggervating things ever. I can be so tired but the minute I lay down my eyes are wide open. I do turn music on softly and read to try to help me doze off.
  6. oportosanto

Yeah, I totally understand that. Fortunately it's something that doesn't happen to me often, so I do rest what I need usually. When I don't it's because something is changing my metabolism, some supplements have caused me insomnia.
  7. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

I had withdrawal insomnia from venlafaxine. I felt, and then I was told by my doctor, that single dose melatonin is essentially useless. The only way I could sleep is mixing zolpidem to fall asleep and Circadin, which is prolonged release melatonin, to stay asleep. They make prolonged release zolpidem now, so that could be even better and safer.
  8. johnyork

johnyork Active Contributor

I'm sorry about the insomnia :/. I hate it when you lie around and don't get any sleep at all! It's good to get some exercise, even going outside for a walk might help. Then go tired to bed and the body will be more inclined to fall a sleep. Good luck and hope you catch a good night's sleep in the future.
  9. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Listening to white noise such as sounds of rain, winds, waterfall can also help me to not only fall asleep quicker but to sleep better. I don't know if the result applies for other people as it doesn't work with a lot of my friends but at least it is still better than going to the chemical route.
  10. oportosanto

Rain actually has the opposite effect on me. Well, not exactly the rain in itself, but the fact that it makes a really strange noise in one of my windows and that sometimes wakes me up.
  11. BallOfWorry

BallOfWorry Member

@oportosanto A noise of flowing water is usually very relaxing. Do you maybe mean loud, irregular tapping against the glass? I think it could keep up almost anyone.
  12. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

Another way to treat insomnia is getting massages. It has similar effects to acupuncture as in will allow the body to do it's own thing. The problem is most insomnia cases are because of a mind that can't stop thinking. The only way to solve this problem is to start having direct experience with reality rather than always thinking about it. A person that thinks all the time has nothing to think about except thoughts and lives in a world of illusions and symbols.
  13. oportosanto

I never tried massages to cure insomnia, but I do agree that the centers of energy that we have in our body need to be stimulated to achieve certain goals, so this can be a solution.
  14. remnant

remnant Community Champion

The best methods to beat insomnia is through natural methods like drinking warm milk, steaming your face and exercises. Another suitable method is having a warm bath. Chemical methods are not recommendable unless in difficult cases like chronic pain. They may cause addiction.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  15. oportosanto

I am with you when you say to use natural methods. When we resort to chemicals we might sleep better temporarily, but we are becoming addicts to other substances.
  16. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Due to my work, I've also developed a sort of insomnia. I easily fall asleep while doing work and when I was at school, I would get around 3 to 5 hours of sleep per night and then compensate in classes. I never made an effort to change that and I had two coffees per day, which didn't help either.

Lately as a result of looking at a screen for hours per day, I'm finding it even more difficult to fall asleep. Sleeping soundly for long periods of time is easy, but it takes me a few hours to fall asleep. Mainly because I always have an inclination to check my phone, or a thought pops into my head and I want to Google it. I also keep feeling uncomfortable and I constantly have to change positions before falling asleep in a comfort position.

Tea has seemed to help, as well as setting my alarm a little later, I'll definitely try out Melatonin as it's available at my local pharmacy. Thanks for the informative post.
  17. oportosanto

That is why it's important to have a sleeping routine, when we don't we might get insomnia. Either cases, most important is to sleep with a clear head...
  18. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Hmm... I never thought about it like that, but I did face insomnia after I was taken off a few regular medications. I mean I was almost in tears because I couldn't sleep much and I couldn't remember anything because of a lack of sleep. Thankfully, once that phase passed, I became normal.

BTW, I would recommend not taking pills or anything for such symptoms unless its been like more than 2 days or something.
  19. oportosanto

The thing is medicines and drugs mess deeply with our metabolism and when we stop using them the body needs time to readjust and insomnia is just one of the side effects.
  20. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I agree. You just need a little time, that's all. Like I said, when I was taken off a few regular meds, I faced this kind of a thing. But it was just a phase and nothing else.