An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Oh, the insomnia!

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by GettingBetter, Nov 19, 2015.

1. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Just this weekend I had trouble sleeping and let me tell you the days after I was like a zombie, truly painful days, so I do wish I can sleep properly as I hate being tired.
  2. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Try wearing socks. I am not kidding, there is something about warm feet that will put you to sleep. But, just make sure they're not tight.
    Mara likes this.
  3. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

On my slide to alcohol dependence, I began early to use alcohol to sleep. I suffered from insomnia since as young as I can remember and felt that for the first time in my life I could do something about it.

On becoming sober sleep became once again a huge issue.

Most natural remedies I have ever tried fail for me even when I saw the same remedies working just fine for others.

I just wanted it noted here that Seroquel has been my friend to help me fall asleep since it was first prescribed. I never take any during the day, only when I am going to bed. Not a natural aide but it does help those who need it.

It is non-addictive, by the way; in fact, it was prescribed by my addiction programs psychologist.
  4. oportosanto

lol seriously? Socks? My issue is that at winter I always sleep with socks. At the same time there is some truth there, I cannot sleep with cold feet.
    Mara likes this.
  5. djdrug

Yeah. You know the more cosy you feel, the easier it will be for you to sleep. Here are things that are important for anyone facing insomnia. This - coming from a guy who couldn't sleep until 4 in the morning sometimes. So, these hacks have been tried and tested:

Socks: The best thing about wearing socks is that you don't feel like its a lot of work. To me, this is a great way to feel sleepy. Here is the article mentioning the research that gives you the reason why socks work: http://lifehacker.com/wear-socks-to-fall-asleep-easily-476550620

Milk: If you're not lactose intolerant, warm milk is the next best thing to taking an actual pill. Just warm up some milk, add a little bit of sugar, and gulp it down in one go. Even though some research tried to show that Tryptophan (I hope I spelled that right) contained in milk is not as effective as pure tryptophan. But, I just have to ask, where in nature will one ever find "pure" tryptophan. What they meant was take pills, I say don't unless all else fails. Here are a few more natural sleep inducers: http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/living-with-insomnia-11/natural-solutions

Room Lighting: Now, this is something that seems like a commonsense thing to do. But, you should dim the lights a couple of hours before you want to go to sleep. This is because the brain produces chemicals that help induce sleep, if we dim the light. This is the reason that people tend to feel sleepy on a rainy,cloudy day, because of less light.

Avoid Mobile Phones: Recent studies showed that the blue light that comes out of mobile phones. Although there is now an app that can help block your mobile phone from emitting the blue light that is so dangerous to your sleep patterns. http://www.businessinsider.in/Why-y...before-you-go-to-bed/articleshow/51435271.cms
    http://techcrunch.com/2016/03/15/popular-blue-light-reducing-app-f-lux-arrives-on-android/

Well, that's what I know worked for me. Although, this isn't always going to work for someone getting over an addiction, but it will work in most cases.
    Mara likes this.
  6. oportosanto

My main issue for sleeping are noises. When I am about to fall asleep I am really picky with noises, the smallest thing can wake me up, unless I am really tired.
  7. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Hеаlthy thinking is а wаy tо hеlр yоu stаy wеll оr соре with а hеаlth рrоblеm by сhаnging hоw yоu think. Соgnitivе-bеhаviоrаl thеrарy is а tyре оf соunsеling thаt саn hеlр yоu undеrstаnd why yоu hаvе slеер рrоblеms аnd саn shоw yоu hоw tо dеаl with thеm. Соgnitivе-bеhаviоrаl thеrарy hеlрs rеduсе intеrruрtеd slеер оvеr timе.

Lifеstylе сhаngеs аrе simрlе things yоu саn dо thаt mаy hеlр yоu slеер bеttеr. Thеsе inсludе сhаnging yоur slеер аrеа оr sсhеdulе, wаtсhing whаt аnd whеn yоu еаt аnd drink, аnd bеing mоrе асtivе. It's аlsо imроrtаnt tо kеер rеgulаr bеdtimеs аnd wаkе timеs-7 dаys а wееk-аnd tо try tо аvоid tаking nарs during thе dаy.
  8. djdrug

Regular bedtimes are really important. I remember the real reason why I used to face problems was because I would be able to follow a regular schedule for like 4-5 days, and then on the weekends, I would just stay up late for no reason other than because I could. And that messed with my sleep cycle all the time.
  9. oportosanto

That's true, we need to have a routine and proper rest because when we don't our body gets messed up and we have a hard time sleeping. We should not mess with our biological clock.
  10. Funny, I just made a post about sleep help in another thread, so I thought I would post it here too!
    Organic Sleep aids:
    • Valerian Root - You can find these capsules in the pharmacy section of most stores. Valerian Root helps stimulate the hormones in your body needed for sleep (melatonin). Taking two or three Valerian Root capsules about an hour before bedtime will help you fall asleep and stay asleep.
    • Yarrow Flower - I am not sure if this is a tea that sold in stores already or in capsules, but if you can get your hands on it, add it to some chamomile tea or your Valerian root! In combo it makes for a great sleeping aid. It's basically like Valerian root, only a different type of flower.
    • Chamomile Tea - Sipping some hot tea does the trick, but Chamomile tea is the best. Add a little peppermint leaf to your chamomile tea and you're good to go. It relaxes your entire body, is caffeine free, and is aromatic.
    • Sleepy Time Tea- I have a recipe that we make for our particularly insomniac clients that has several organic herbs inside that helps sleep including Valerian Root, Yarrow Flower, Chamomile and Peppermint. If you would like to talk to me about this tea, please feel free to send me a message.
  11. oportosanto

Yeah, I think I've seen this post elsewhere. Either cases valerian root is excellent as well as chamomile, but the best is to have a sleeping routine, that really helps our biological watch.
  12. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Dealt with this myself, and it is a mother, let me tell you.

One of the best things you can do is to establish a routine or ritual that signals to your body that it's time to go to bed. When I was really on the ball I would start about an hour before my planned bed time, take a cold shower, get some tea, and relax under the covers, sometimes with light reading material.

Meditation is also a HUGE help as well.

Insomnia is a difficult condition to overcome, and its causes can be hard to detect. But usually the cure is better self care and management.
  13. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

All I have to say is, stay away from benzodiazepines, those are going to create an even bigger problem. It might help you at first but then you're hooked on it like any other drug. I find working out or just stretching and listening to some relaxing music at night the best way. Also give natural sleeping medicine a try, I know it has worked for many people, not for me but everybody is different.
  14. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

When I left my cigarettes, I experienced the 'insomnia'. I was not worried about it because my doctor said to me that 'insomnia' is a part of withdrawal symptoms and they will not last forever. I remember that 'Chamomile tea' was suggested to me by my doctor and actually, it helped me a lot. I would highly recommend Chamomile tea to anyone suffering from severe insomnia. Always remember that this is a part of withdrawal symptoms and it will fade over time. Just don't relapse.
  15. oportosanto

That's something I strongly agree with. We cannot change our ways and expect everything to continue the same. No, the body suffers and it takes some time to readjust.
  16. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Personally I've tried melatonin and valerian root. Neither really worked for me.

There was a time I became dependent on sleeping pills, and that was NOT fun.

It may be out of place on a board such as this, but the BEST natural sleeping medicine I've encountered is in fact marijuana. Issue there is the same, however--you begin to rely on it instead of your body's natural need to sleep.
  17. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

Lol, I can't believe you said that. I have to admit it crossed my mind, but it would be weird to recomend marijuana as a solution in a forum like this. Some people find alcohol as the best sleeping aid though, and even science back it up but as you said, issue is the same, whenever you are using something to remplace your natural sleeping induccion, you're going to need that something to trigger sleep aftrewards.
  18. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

If you're suffering from insomnia due to withdrawal, there are some good natural methods to help you. They have side effects though. You can manually tire your mind by reading, watching something, drawing, working out, even sexual activities. If you can set a rhythm or a good sleeping pattern, eventually you will have no problems sleeping.
  19. oportosanto

Yep, it will take time, but if we manage to stay clean our body will self regulate, the issue is the time it takes until the body has adjusted to the new reality.
  20. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

Really, bro? I never heard about it but it sounds amazing. I will definitely try it post my experience here in this forum. :)