An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Ohio petition to legalize marijuana gets enough signatures for Nov. ballot

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by sksmith094, Aug 13, 2015.

1. sksmith094

sksmith094 Member

Like the title states, the petition to legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational uses has gotten enough signatures to be part of the November ballot.
    I'm fairly certain this will be passed and marijuana legalized.

Do you think this is a good or bad thing for the state and for the country as a whole? It seems that more and more states are moving this way, and in fact it seems like it won't be long before it's legal nationwide.

Source: http://fox8.com/2015/08/12/petition...o-gets-enough-signatures-for-november-ballot/
  2. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it may work out if it is monitored and not just passed and people would need to use it responsibly, which may take time, as many will rely on it for their problems or not use the right sort which can cause problems. I reckon that the government will monitor the medical use as the costs can be high as well, and should be given to the ones who require it and make sure it is from a doctor and they are allowed to prescribe this to the patients. It is interesting how this may go legal and hope we don't see the crime rate increase, or this may cause problems and also it can be hard to know if it will work for the best of the country and the people.
  3. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

It certainly helps as an economical issue for the state, because all of those in jail with possession. If they keep the prices high it will steer some away while boosting the economy.
  4. TacoCat

TacoCat Member

I think this is fantastic for the state and the nation as a whole! more happy stoners and more economical growth!
  5. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

Oh wow, this is great! Its smart to try to pass medicinal and recreational simultaneously. If you have to set up dispensaries, why not also set them up for retail and make more money? Congrats Ohio!
  6. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Hmm. I find this more interesting that it occurred in Ohio. Ohio is supposed to be a swing state which means it is neither liberal nor conservative. This means that the population of Ohio is becoming more liberal which will affect how the elections play out.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

When other States do this it won't be long before marijuana gets legalized nationwide. But I doubt that would be enticement for more people to use marijuana. The long term effects of the legalization for recreational users most obviously would be addiction and they'd have to deal with all nasty effects that accompany long term abuse of the drug.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I think so too. The state as well as the Nation is keeping an eye on places like Colorado. They will wait for the fiscal numbers to come in and from there all Marijuana heaven will happen across the nation. Maybe not all at once, but I'm sure more then the previous year and years to come will be legalized. The money is just too good to pass up. The State wants the taxable sales. That was always the issue and it wasn't about a harmful substance.