An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

OMG: The Restless Legs

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by alm0493, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

I have seen it happen and it's no joke. Restless leg syndrome is pretty messed up.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

me and my brother suffer from a case where we don't even notice consciously we're shaking the floor, or ground, and just tapping our leg up and down from a sitting position very fast. It's almost like a nervous tick that developed into a full scale syndrome. It gets quite annoying when you get that feeling in your legs, too... like you have wanderlust a bit. I guess is what I'd say. Can't keep em still.
  3. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

According to experts, here are some things you can do to avoid RLS:
    • sleep well (ensure at least 8 hours of sleep every night, for months)
    • exercise once in a while but don't overdo it
    • avoid caffeine if you can
    • say no to alcohol and cigarettes
    • eat vegetables and fruits
    • dabble with herbal medicine if you don't want to end up buying expensive synthetic tablets
    Shimus likes this.
  4. Shimus

Thanks for those! Those may help alot. I'll give it a shot and mention them to my brother and we'll let you know if any work out.
  5. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

I never heard of this before and it's good news for me because it just means I never had to deal with these cases closely, I had enough with drugs already.
  6. Shimus

The main one that seems to be working is herbal teas and vitamins. It may just be a deficiency that the doctor could prescribe something, but I like the idea of trying to kill it off myself with my own wits and help from other people. I tend to only use medicine and stuff as a last-ditch effort now due to my experiences.
  7. Peninha

That is the fascination about natural medicines, they can solve some major issues that in the end are just small unbalances that go undetected at the eyes of regular medicine.
    Shimus likes this.
  8. Shimus

Ain't that the truth - found that out first hand man. Or should I say,

"First Leg"

[​IMG]

But seriously this is no condition to shirk and laugh at. It's real and it's annoying as hell.
  9. Peninha

lol, are you trolling me? Yeah, I think it's a real situation I agree, but before we complain about conditions we should change our habits.
  10. Shimus

Changing habits helps a lot of the time too. RLS can be attributed to runners and active people who sit idle for a long time too (years) and it strikes them bad, cramping, jumping of the legs.. it's bad.
  11. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I haven't deal with restless legs syndrome before but I have one friend who was always moving his legs, even in situations that weren't stressing for him, I'm not really sure if this also affected his sleep but I did some research and it has to do a lot with stress, and my friend is a really perfectionist person, so I guess that is just stress.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I know how that feels! I get so restless at night and the kicking just wakes me up. It is so hard to fall and stay asleep with restless legs. I find that a long walk after dinner helps a little bit because I am so tired that I don't even feel it after all of that action.
  13. dkelly

dkelly Active Contributor

Restless leg syndrome is a pain to deal with especially if it keeps from falling asleep and getting rest. This will compound the issue if it is resulting from withdrawal as the stress can increase cravings. One home remedy is to get lots of exercise.
  14. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think using relaxation techniques is the best way to deal with that. It sounds like it would be a difficult and time consuming problem to deal with. Trying to sleep when you are suffering with those symptoms would be a big problem for anyone who has this syndrome I think.
  15. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

This reminds me of the "Alien Hand Syndrome", which is pretty similar, but instead a hand acts without the owner's will, and can even hurt people. One way to soothe them a little is by doing some intense exercise before going to bed. Also, if she can't function without constantly shaking her legs, it would be a nice idea if she started doing a sport like running or cycling. This is also physical exercise which can help her condition. I imagine it's a pain to deal with.
  16. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

This is a common symptom of heroin withdrawal and it can be incredibly frustrating and painful for the person involved. It has many other causes though, my husband used to have this and trying to sleep in the same bed with him was no picnic! Exercise and healthy living in general helps a lot, as well as relaxation techniques. Sleeping pills and herbs never seemed to help at all unfortunately, and I spent quite a few nights on the couch!
  17. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

This is a withdrawal symptom. It is necessary to go through this stage in order to fully recover. All you can do is be there for her and ensure that there is no drugs near her because she will revert to her old in order to get rid of this feeling.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never experienced such a thing before. But yeah, it does sound like a not-so-good type of withdrawal. Maybe you should try to calm her down, probably listening to some relaxing music could be able to help her.
  19. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I had heard of RLS before but never in conjunction with withdrawal symptoms, so I've learned something new today. It's good to know that there are ways of combatting it to lessen the severity though - some good tips seem to have already been mentioned in this post!
  20. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

I've suffered from short episodes of restless leg syndrome in the past... but I think that had something to do with my spine. It started right after I came back from that trip one year ago, I think my fiance (not sure if he is till my fiance) hurt my back. Luckily it has stopped happening, but it was super scary. Not sure if withdrawal symptoms can present themselves like this though, I guess anything is possible.