An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On a scale of 1-10, how addictive is cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by TheKid, Oct 12, 2014.

1. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

Hay everyone, I was wondering about how addictive cocaine is because I have done cocaine about 3 times and I never really thought that I was addicted to it, was this just because the drug was playing a trick on my mind or does it take more than 3 times to get addicted to you? Is there anyone here with first hand experience that can tell me more about this?
    Any answers will be greatly appreciated.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

I've never used cocaine, so I don't have any personal experience.

But if you're scientifically inclined like me, this paper goes very much in depth about the relative addictive tendencies of drugs.

http://www.drugsense.org/tfy/addictvn.htm
  3. TheKid

Hay! Thanks for the quick reply, I will check out the link once I get home. Have a good day my friend!
  4. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I will never try any hard drugs because I know me and how I will act. If I liked it that much I know I would become an addict. I never had a problem with not having enough energy from day to day. My problem has always been relaxing and being able to sleep well enough to feel rested afterwards. My choice of drugs has always been those that relaxed and calmed you. I think, like with any drug, some will have a better tolerance and willpower to do any hard drug socially and not have it become a problem. Other have that addictive gene and can get hooked immediately.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  5. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I think it depends on the person, really. I went through a coke "situation" because I knew I liked getting high. But it never hijacked my brain the way heroin did. I basically went down the buffet line trying every drug until I found the one I loved most. After coke came crack, after crack came heroin and BOOM. Done deal. I know I was an addict before I ever picked it up. Otherwise I wouldn't have been so adventurous! :)
  6. TheKid

So you never got really addicted to cocaine?
  7. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I can't say I woke up any morning with an overwhelming desire to use cocaine, so no. I don't believe I gave it enough time to become addicted to it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that doesn't mean I'm not an addict. Cocaine just wasn't my thing. Stimulants in general have never agreed with me.
  8. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Cocaine from what I know is very addictive, but of course, people react differently to drugs, while your tolerance level of cocaine might be higher than mine, it doesn't mean that you can't and won't become addicted to cocaine like me, simply because you have a higher tolerance, my addictive drug may be heroine while yours is cocaine, whichever way it is, cocaine is highly addictive, and I would say to you that you stop quit trying it out before your body decides to want it every second like the air we breath, quit while you're ahead, it only makes sense.
  9. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Sorry, were you replying to me or the OP?
  10. ExpertAdvice

Hi @Jen Sonshine , I was replying to @TheKid's first post that created this thread, but what do you think about what I've said? also, I see where you say you became addicted to heroin? how long have you been using heroin? and do you experience any severe effects from it?
  11. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I agree with what you said for the most part, but "it only makes sense" was kind of funny. I've been in recovery for several years, so I'm referring to the time in my life when I was addicted to heroin but didn't care much for cocaine. Of course that doesn't mean it isn't highly addictive and of course it doesn't mean I have zero potential to become addicted to it (I have potential to become addicted to just about any mind/mood altering substance which is why I stay away from all of them).

As for the effects of heroin abuse, there's a pretty long list. I'm not sure how I got so lucky but I did manage to walk away without any of the common serious health problems associated with it other than overdose (as if that's no big deal).
  12. ExpertAdvice

Oh okay :) well when I said " quit while you're ahead, it only makes sense." I had @TheKid in mind as he says he's never really thought of himself to be addicted, so I kinda guessed that he wasn't, so I offered that advice. You are blessed, I am happy that you were able to quit and successfully do so, I'm also very elated to know that you didn't experience any of the common serious health problems associated with heroin :) except for overdose :-( but! in the end, the important thing is that a bad habit has been broken! and you can live without relying on a damaging substance! It's very nice to met you @Jen Sonshine :)
    Jen S. and Joseph like this.
  13. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

That has always been the same with me also. I never like the stimulants either. I always like something to bring me down I guess. I already have a nice reserve of energy and my problem has always been calming down rather than needing a pick me up.
  14. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

I think for me it may have something to do with my ADD. whenever I've been prescribed stimulants in the past (Adderall for example) they basically slowed me down, allowing me to focus rather than giving me the "burst" of energy people who do not have ADD describe when doing cocaine, meth or prescription amphetamines. I think this is probably why I've always leaned toward abusing depressants, but certainly doesn't mean I can't get addicted to stimulants.
    Joseph likes this.
  15. jenbeau90

jenbeau90 Member

I used to do cocaine maybe four times a year. I enjoyed it a lot, but that stuff is so expensive I don't think I could ever have enough money to use it enough to become addicted. It is definitely at addictive substance though. If price wasn't such an issue I'm sure we would see a lot more people addicted.
  16. SF13

SF13 Member

I'm not certain about the more processed form of cocaine but I know my brother struggled a lot with the crack form of it. It caused him all manner of issues and honestly, the only reason he got off of it was going to prison for a few years for assaulting someone the last time he had it in his system.
  17. Sarah

Sarah Member

I think it depends on the person I personally don't really have an addictive personality. I have tried coke and I liked it. But I don't have the desire to have it everyday or weekend or at all to be honest. I have just used it recreationally. But I know people who have found it to be highly addicted and crave it.
  18. Cocaine is very addictive but with that being said it all depends on how much is available to you. When i say available to you I mean if you have the means to really get it all the time. You can't really start feeling the affects of addiction if the drug is not readily available. Once you are able to get it all the time and you know that is it available and you have the funds the cravings that you get from the comedown will become overwhelming. I also think it's true that everyone has different personalities and not every drug on the street will be likeable so it just depends on the person and the availability of the drug.
  19. princenyc

princenyc Member

Any drug is addictive. I think a big part of addiction is psychological. It's the routine . For every crackhead I know I know 2 people who use cocaine only for recreation. I am not saying any use of cocaine is right but I know a lot of people who used it and never got addicted. Like @Jen Sonshine said, some drugs just aren't your thing. Being an addicted is not the drugs fault.
  20. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Yep. I think it's probably a lot like our taste buds. :)
    I was beyond hooked on heroin, but nothing about any stimulant ever made me feel like "YEAH! I NEED MORE OF THAT!". I tried (really hard) to like marijuana as a teenager, too. Never worked out for me!