An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On a scale of 1-10, how addictive is cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by TheKid, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

I think it differs from person to person. I would stay away from it if I was prone to addiction. I have never tried it and don't think I ever will. I don't really have any interest.
  2. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't think it's as physically addictive as most other hard drugs. From what I understand, addicts of this drug are more addicted to the benefits of it rather than the high and because of this I'm inclined to believe that it doesn't really alter your consciousness all that much and on that small bit of info I'd maybe guess that on the scale it probably is on 6 or 7.
  3. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

It definitely depends a lot on the person. I've dabbled with it socially in the past, more because of the crowd I was hanging out with than anything else. The drug was part and parcel of that world - seemingly respectable young bankers and lawyers.

Most of us did it because it was a certain time and space in our lives and I can categorically say that I haven't had an interest in it since. I doubt whether the majority of my friends have been interested in it since then either.

But one of two of them always had a higher predilection for this kind of thing so didn't come off it when the rest of us did. My assumption is that the more it becomes part of your routine and lifestyle, the harder it will be get rid of it.
  4. camsdad

camsdad Member

I think it's a 10. The high you get is almost like a super version of yourself. You can talk about anything and everything is great, but it's only temporary. Coming down isn't fun so what's the best way to get around that? You guessed it, more coke. I hate how it's done, so gross, but I was young and experimental. If you find yourself running back to the dope man multiple times in a night, it might be time to get some help.
  5. Camgold89

Camgold89 Member

To OP: It really depends. Every person will always reactl differently to different substances. If you have been addicted or had issues with any other narcotic in the past, even tobacco, I would recommend against cocaine. It can definitely be one of the more addictive drugs in the spectrum. I have a couple of friends who got really bad off on it and were pawning their life away to go get$60 bags that would only last them a couple of hours. Some people won't get addicted, some people will.

TLDR; Drugs are bad, mmkay. You can get addicted to just about anything, even McDonalds'.
  6. Anonymous

Anonymous Active Contributor

From my life experience, I could say that cocaine is one of the worse drugs that have been made.
    Firstly because it can make people paranoid or even aggressive, also because of the aftermath effects on the body and about if it's addictive or not, I could say YES, it is, I had friends who loosed everything and ended up in streets just because of cocaine.
    You should consider yourself lucky if you didn't got addicted to it, your organism or your brain probably did not notice of the real effect of that drug, I don't really know exactly why it happened, because there is people that even after recovery they still dream about cocaine.

People should stay away from synthetic drugs, in this particular case, people should know that the coke plant has many medical properties, by example, a tea of coke is pretty good (non addictive) and helps you to calm down, to focus better on what you do, and as an excellent alternative to caffeine because it fills you with natural energy due to the high concentration of alkaloids.
  7. Sprezza

Sprezza Member

I would say it depends on the person. In my case, it's not addictive at all. I've tried it twice and it actually didn't do that much for me.
  8. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Yes it is addictive and just by trying it you could start a whole world of problems for yourself. The best thing to do is to never take it again because other things will follow.
  9. pchez01

pchez01 Member

Well I must admit that I have tried cocaine on a couple of occasions (back in college) and to be honest, I really couldn't tell the difference but I left it at that and I have never tried it again.
  10. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I would state that cocaine is a highly addictive drug, even if I haven't tried it. You should probably stop using it asap otherwise you won't end up well. With these tries, you actually test your limits, and in the end you will find them and wish you didn't.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I'd say it all depends on the personality of the person who is using the cocaine. I tried it once, and it made no lasting impression on me. In fact, I didn't like it at all as it made me all hyperactive. So, in my opinion, it's difficult to generalize it.
  12. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I think this is what surprised me the most about trying cocaine for the first time. I was expecting to be jumping off of the walls with an amazing rush like cocaine is so often depicted to cause, but it was one of the most subtle drug experiences I've ever had. I wasn't expecting the clear-headedness that came with it. It was certainly underwhelming.
  13. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Member

Just like other members pointed out the addiction, or the craving you have towards a particular substance ultimately depends on you. From a personal stand point I have never tried cocaine, firstly, because of its addictive properties, and secondly, because I have an addictive personality. When I enjoy something I keep repeating it over and over again. Not to mention that my mother is a recovering cocaine addict!

From what we have discussed over the years it's a definite 10/10 for her. Even after over 20 years of abstinence she still tells me its a slippery road to walk.
    -LoyalServant
  14. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Of all the people that I know that has done cocaine, very few if any actually become addicted to it. It's weird. You would think that a powerful upper like cocaine would hook people in and make them addicted. But not all cases lead to addiction.
  15. primalclaws1974

primalclaws1974 Senior Contributor

Cocaine is not as strong as meth, in my opinion, so a person needs more of it, more often. When a substance is weaker, some people think it's less addictive. I have heard the excuse that an alcoholic is not really an alcoholic because they only drank beer. But more alcoholics became that way due to beer than other drinks, simply because it is lower alcohol, and it takes more time to get drunk. Over the years the habit of spending a lot of time to get drunk on beer spurned on the alcoholism. I believe cocaine is the same way.
  16. Teresa

Teresa Senior Contributor

I never thought coke was addictive but from the posts here I guess it does depend on the person, just because something is not physically addictive doesn't mean someone wont get the mores and have a psychological addiction.
  17. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

Be thankful that you did not get addicted as, I would say it is about 9 out of ten. I have never taken hard drugs but I heard that once you take it, you will automatically become addicted. Now you have confirmed what my dad told me. I guess everyone is made up differently but please don't do it the fourth time :-(
  18. Rob93FL

This is the problem with current drug education. People aren't taught actual truths about drugs, so they regurgitate all of the pseudoscience they've been fed.

There isn't a single substance that will cause instant addiction after trying it one time. One time isn't nearly enough for your body to decide that it needs the drug to function properly. You might realize that you really like the substance, but that isn't true addiction. In addition to that, the 9/10 part is completely arbitrary.
  19. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I appreciate the little drug education I received as if I had the impression that cocaine was not very addictive maybe I would've tried and would've been hooked to the thing like my dad and several other persons I know. The best thing is abstinence as one may not know their limit or at what point they may become addicted. I would probably rate cocaine 9.5 out of ten based on it's very addictive properties. God bless those who did not get addicted at the first hit.[Q="Rob93FL, post: 7816, member: 463"]This is the problem with current drug education. People aren't taught actual truths about drugs, so they regurgitate all of the pseudoscience they've been fed.

There isn't a single substance that will cause instant addiction after trying it one time. One time isn't nearly enough for your body to decide that it needs the drug to function properly. You might realize that you really like the substance, but that isn't true addiction. In addition to that, the 9/10 part is completely arbitrary.[/QUOTE]
    I appr
  20. Rob93FL

I didn't say that cocaine isn't very addictive. I'm only saying that introducing your body to a new substance one time isn't enough for your body to develop an addiction to it. That's just not how the body works.