An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On a scale of 1-10, how addictive is cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by TheKid, Oct 12, 2014.

1. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

All I know about cocaine is a lot of movie stars use it. I know my boyfriend use to rub it on his gums. He was a jerk anyway lol. I have heard it is addictive as well as expensive compared to other street drugs.
  2. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

Hi hun. I think each person's ability to become addicted to any one drug varies significantly from person to person. Cocaine is very addictive and a person can become addicted the first time they use it. It seems that you may be worried that you already have a problem. Maybe you like the high a little too much? Maybe this is a good time to walk away from the drug all together. Be like ok Cocaine we had our fun and now we are done. Cya later.
  3. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Nothing is really addictive in itself. A person I think is inclined to get addicted to certain things. An addictive personality type might get hooked on this or that. It depends upon the person I think. I guess if someone wants to get addicted to something that is that dangerous and they like what it does to them. I guess the dangerous part falls short. Doesn't make much sense though, but this I would imagine is part of the addictive personality. The loss of rationality.
  4. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

I didn't know that there were people who wanted addiction. There are things that are addictive. If you take enough of certain drugs, your body will literally become dependent upon them, requiring them for normal function. That is addiction.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You will probably find that it has a different effect for different people and it probably also depends on the potency of the drug in your area (or wherever you get it from). I have known people locally who can take cocaine day after day, week after week, month after month and then suddenly decide to stop taking it and be fine without it. Yet I have also known people who would specifically go to a different city to get their hands on the highest quality cocaine they could get and they would be messed up on - they would have to keep going back because they were addicted and the local stuff just wasn't potent enough to do it for them. Of course, when I say potency what I'm really referring to is purity.

Crack cocaine is a very different story all together though - once is enough to get you physically addicted for a very long time, that's all it takes, and it's a very different effect and feeling to cocaine.
  6. angel_lou

angel_lou Active Contributor

Coke is addictive but in a different way to an opiate based drug. Opiate drugs get into your system and you need them to function normally. Coke gets into the mind and is addictive that way. You dont NEED coke, you just WANT it. Where as you need heroin to function.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Well I'm actually talking about people who easily get addicted to substances. An addictive personality. There is such a thing, in western medicine. If you believe in that. Something might be inclined to make people become addicted to it, if you are prone to that. Not everyone becomes addicted to cocaine. I believe they call that being in control. Take it or leave it, or never touch it again. A conscious decision to not do something that is harmful. I guess maybe some people might get offended to realize that they became addicted to something that other people had no attachment to. Generally a person who has this kind of control. It would be across the board. Blaming the substance would be kind of a cop out. If anyone takes it personally there was no offense meant. Mc Donald's food is addictive and does its own kind of damage to people when they eat it. If you supersize the cocaine like you do the burger and fries eventually it can kill you. The McD burger is not illegal but if you know what it does to you and continue. You blame the substance? There is a part of the mind that has to be right to justify the action, does that mean its true? You're right and cocaine never should have been invented. McDonalds food should be illegal. Its banned in many countries.
  8. Rob93FL

Rob93FL Senior Contributor

Why should we outlaw McDonald's just because it's unhealthy? If we make a law against McDonald's, we would have to make one against every other unhealthy food chain. I shouldn't have to risk going to jail for choosing to eat unhealthy food.
  9. Sparkster

And yet in response to my post on your other thread about being addicted to a person you claimed that you didn't believe in any such personality types, behaviour, etc and that people are just people and there are no personality disorders and now you blame addiction on an 'addictive personality' - that's just ridiculous. You are a hypocrite. And guess what? If a long-term Heroin user suddenly decides to stop taking Heroin, as part of a conscious decision, not only do they suffer physical withdrawal symptoms but it can also potentially cause death unless they get their next fix in time. It's got nothing to do with how prone they are to addiction. And cocaine was not "invented", it grows naturally - ever heard of the coca plant?
  10. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I have no personal experience with cocaine but I have friends that use it. I've read articles that say that it's not really addictive and it really depends on the person. From what I see from my friends though, I beg to differ.
  11. angel_lou

I think the reason people say that is because its not physically addictive, jus mentally. Which can sometimes be worse.
  12. Sparkster

I think normal standard powdered cocaine is probably psychologically addictive (and not physically addictive) due to the fact that it gives the self-esteem of the user such a boost - they literally feel 'high' and above all and this can make it a lot easier to deal with problems in their lives, which is most likely where the dependence comes from - it's a form of escapism from those problems or a way to deal with them better. There are no physical withdrawal symptoms that I know of, like there are with crack cocaine.
  13. angel_lou

I know people that have used crack for a long time and it's not physically addictive either. It's all in the head. When it gets you, its hard to break away from. Heroin on the other hand gets your body as well as your mind.
  14. Sparkster

This is incorrect, there are indeed physical withdrawal symptoms from crack cocaine (making it physically addictive) which can potentially be very dangerous. It's definitely not all in the head, I have been addicted to crack cocaine myself in the past. There's a very big difference between psychological dependence and being physically addicted. The only possible way they could have only been psychologically dependent on it is if the crack they were getting was extremely low purity (which is often the case) - i.e. not the proper stuff.
  15. angel_lou

Well I guess everyones body is different but I have never known anyone including myself that has had a cluck from crack even after using it every day for over a year. So I will have to disagree with you. And to suggest that what is bought and used as crack cocaine here is not 'the proper stuff' is absurd. Not wanting to glamourise it in any way as its disgusting but ive seen it made and used and believe me it was quality. I stand by what I know heroin gets your body, and crack get your mind.
  16. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliams Active Contributor

It mostly depends on the people using it but the fact is Cocaine has the potential to be very addictive. It's also a fairly drug to get off of, so don't touch it in the first place. I've heard myths about Cocaine not being very addictive but that's just rubbish.
  17. changingcups

changingcups Member

I have used cocaine many times (around once a month last year) and so far this year I haven't taken it nor have I felt the need to. However the quality of the Cocaine does vary and I think that when I get a bad batch it puts me off for a long time which is a good and a bad thing.
  18. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Honestly, from a non-biased point of view I'd have to rate it a 7. It's enough you'd sell possessions to get more, or do stuff outside your normal scope of "comfort-ability" - and thats when legal trouble ensues. If you're a long time user of speeds and ampethamines, however, it's probably more along the line of a 9 out of 10. It gives you a "numb" feeling that is accompanied by "speedy" buzz. And if you have an addictive personality...WHOO BOY. Probably a 10 out of 10.
  19. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Cocaine addiction seems to be an individual thing - some peole can do it every so often with no adverse affects. Others, myself included, get dependent on it. For me though, it was more of a psychological addiction - I never really had any withdrawal symptoms when I finally got clean.
  20. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I was like this in the beginning myself before long term side effects sat in. I used to be able to get clean and notice no symptoms - just psychological. The urge to snort a line of powder or crack pipe it up and get going for a good day ahead. At least, that's what I used to think.

But a lot of people fit our "Dependency" type situation. To that end, I say be careful - if you know it'll harm you or you'll do more and more... just DON'T