An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On a scale of 1-10, how addictive is cocaine?

Discussion in 'Cocaine' started by TheKid, Oct 12, 2014.

1. starbaby

starbaby Member

This is a very interesting question to me. Unfortunately, I've been around too many people battling cocaine addictions and I have never been able to understand! I personally think that it is 1/10 for me, I've tried it quite a few times, and I generally have a super addictive personality and have struggled with other substances. When I look at people around me though, I can't help but label it as a 10/10 in terms of how addicting it is.
  2. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I have never done cocaine, so I cannot really help you with this topic. However, I do advise you to google testimonies from people who were once addicted to cocaine. That should definitely clear some things up for you.
  3. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I'd say 7. The reason you are not addicted is most likely financial/ related to accessibility. If you surround yourself with heavy cocaine users you will have access to the drug 24/7. I've also heard several people say that they did not become addicted to cocaine until they started making a lot of money.
  4. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I would just say equate it to your personal tolerance for any amphetamine or speed-related equivalent. IF you would have a high abuse factor, then Cocaine is probably a six or seven, easily. Most people would argue after a couple times of doing it, it rises to 8 or 9, 10 in extremes. The feeling it exudes and gives off (or makes you think you feel) is a head-high, and as thus has a high potential for abuse.

If you're okay with speeds and can take them or leave them, I'd say it's a 3 or 4.
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Senior Contributor

I didn't become addicted to it instantly, but within the first few months of using it, my tolerance went way up and I had to start taking more of it to maintain my high - and I would say within the first few months of using it, I was what I would considered "hooked" on it, because I didn't stop for the next three years until my addiction hit it's head.

The problem is, the first time I used it, it was fun but it wasn't life alteringly great. I immediately rationalized using it on a more regular basis. Instead of blowing $40 - $50 on a bar tab plus tips, I would rather just drink less and spend $25 of that money on cocaine. It seemed like a win-win, I wasn't getting sloppy drunk, it was safer for me to drive home with some cocaine in my system since I was wide awake and more alert, and it was easier on my waistline.

However that $25 only got me about 5 small lines, and I would stretch it out to one line per hour. Within a few weeks, that one line wouldn't last me an hour at all, and I would start mood swinging until I could get to the bathroom to do my next line while we were out. I would be all cheery for about 15 minutes then get cranky and irate.

Before you knew it, I wouldn't even think of getting any cocaine unless it was at least $80 worth, but preferably more if I had the extra money - which I didn't. Towards the end, I would only buy $120-$225 (the later being an "eight ball" of it) because I knew I would be a wreck if I didn't have enough on me to last me a while.
  6. Shimus

That's the problem with drugs, they turn us into people who can spend their entire savings just to get more because we get used to that 'feeling' of being high or having an altered mental state.

Then we end up working just for more money to spend. I know, I've been there myself. Sometimes people even sell off their belongings to this end, and that's when you know the situation is dire.

I can't recommend ever trying any hard drug more than a handful of times a piece or else the addictions start to set in, needing more and more. You become accustomed to it and want it.
  7. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

I have never used cocaine so I can't say. However I think all substances can become addictive and it varies from individual to individual. Some people may use cocaine and can control it and so don't become addictive. Others may try it once and become hooked also.
  8. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

I have taken normal cocaine a lot more than three times in the past, pretty potent stuff too, and have never ever been addicted to it or felt like it was getting a grasp on me. Crack cocaine, however, is a totally different story and I was addicted to it for three months after the first time I tried it.
  9. grandmaof4

grandmaof4 Member

I did cocaine in my younger days. I never really considered myself to be an addict. To me it was more of I could do a line go to work and feel like a million bucks for a while. The main thing was it helped me to stay slim because I would not eat when I was doing it.

It only stays in your system from my understanding for 72 hrs. Not like other drugs, or alcohol which they say you can go days, and days with withdrawal symptoms.
  10. nm1180

nm1180 Member

scale of 1-10, I say 10. You can go long periods of time without using it and still be addicted to it. I dont care what anyone says, it's extremely addictive. It's not really something you do once in a while, and even so, it's easy to really want to do it if you see it.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I've used cocaine a few times in the past, and I may be on my own here in saying that I don't think its that addictivebqt all. Well, it wasn't as gar as I was concerned anyway.

While I certainly enjoyed the high, it wasn't something that I craved and needed the next time I went out. People around me often took it but i picked as and when I wanted some, it wasn't something that I felt I HAD to have.
  12. Shimus

You might not care what everyone else says, but is isn't as addictive as 10. Even with doing it on a regular basis like I had access to, you can cut it off if you have a support group/pillar/rehab and friends. It's not an end-all-be-all type of addiction. But it's nowhere near a ten. You want a 10? Even with my willpower, I found it hard to stop METH when it came around and people thrust it at me. Never spent a cent and almost lost my life to it, and I only tried a handful of times. Now, Cocaine, I could snort piles of that stuff and be unfazed. Maybe it was buildup, maybe it wasn't. But it wasn't mentality.

Any drug is easy to do, if seen. So you can't use that line. And it's only really addictive if the person in question has a weak will around drugs of this nature.
  13. henry

henry Community Champion

Cocaine is VERY addictive, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Once you try it the first time and the fear of doing it goes away, it's very, very easy to get hooked on it. Of course, that would depend on your age and how often you do it. I find that when a kid hits eighteen, if he/she has never done any drugs, the probability of getting hooked on any drug is a lot less than when you start doing them at an early age. But, depending on the use, you can get addicted at any stage of your life. It's not like your parents and teachers told you, that if you try it once you're hooked for life. It takes some time to get addicted.
  14. zombie4412

zombie4412 Member

957. Seriously, on a scale of 1 to 10, it was a 10 for me. They say addiction is a monkey on your back. It was not my monkey, it was King Kong.
  15. Callad24

Callad24 Member

I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you're just using it for recreational purposes, it's not hard to let it go. I, being a full-time musician, struggled with this. I used to gig six nights a week while I was in college and got hooked on cocaine because it gave me energy and helped me stay awake during class. And no it didn't make me smarter, but I did graduate with a distinction.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried cocaine yet, so I couldn't really tell how addictive it is. But honestly, I think it depends on a person's tolerance and dependency level. As for me, I don't think I'll ever get hooked to cocaine.
  17. devinametallic

devinametallic Active Contributor

Like some people have posted before, I guess it depends on what your body ends up liking.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I would say very addictive so at the 10 mark as once a person takes it the psychological physiology can change in the person and may believe they are real smart or above others as well. I have seen people I know, who had ruined their lives and also their families are broken due to this choice as well. Some even blamed the drug for car accidents or violent streaks like one of my uncles he has it everday or maybe meth goes to his house and throws things around and punches the bed and made a hole in house once and also got in trouble with the cops he really needs to leave it as he thinks it is his friend when it is not.
  19. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Well, if I were to actually rate it, I'd give it 7.5/10. It's this much because once you consume it, you tend to stick to it, but there's a workaround to quit it if you seek to, that is, of course, nothing else but motivation, but the problem is that most people don't initially find it, so they have huge problems if they fall into this vice.
  20. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

At the start I would give it a 5. You won't really like it that much but if you start to do it regularly you're going to be addicted and it will be very hard to recover from that.
    I'd give it an 8 overall, there are much stronger drugs out there but cocaine is still a "force to be reckoned with".