An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

on day three!

Discussion in 'Withdrawal Symptoms' started by holly86, Feb 4, 2016.

1. holly86

holly86 Member

I have been on heroin for nine years and just almost had a year clean. I relapsed for like three months. So right now im on my third day without heroin. I feel like crap with the sweating, insomnia, chills and crawling skin. I don't know why i started using again. When i was sober, i was happier than ever. Addiction is a disease and i hate it.
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Wow, it sounds like you are trying to detox by yourself. Maybe you should get some support. You don't have to do it alone you know. That would have to be awfully difficult. I hope and wish the best for you. You can always come here for support if you need to.
    holly86 likes this.
  3. holly86

holly86 Member

Thank u so much for ur support. I hope i can get some sleep tonight. But i know that probably won't happen. I took some benadryl but i don't feel drowsy yet
  4. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

It is a disease that you should take very seriously and if you know what you need to do then that is always the first and healthiest step. I agree you should call on your support system at this time...very seriously....you need that in your life. You should never go through something like this alone...it is so difficult. I am sure with support you will get your life back.
    holly86 likes this.
  5. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

I'm so happy that you are on the road to recovery once again Holly86. If you did it once, you can do it again! You know what to expect, so at least you won't have fear of what's coming. I'll pray so that you have all the strength and perseverance that you need to get through this and never turn back again. Good luck! Big hugs to you.
    holly86 likes this.
  6. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok Member

Mate, well done on taking the first step! I'm sure you'll find many people willing to help you out and support you because you have shown the initiative and publicly said you want to stop using. The detox process is terrible, which you would know, but remember you will get through it and the end result will be worth it. Let us know how you go!
  7. holly86

holly86 Member

Thank u so much for the encouragement. I made an appt. to see a drug counselor and found meetings near by. I'm through my detox and things r looking up. God bless
    MichelleVL likes this.
  8. holly86

holly86 Member

Thanks for the prayers. They do help. My sister said she was praying for me and my detox wasn't as bad as it was in the past. I'm also feeling positive this week. I'm buying a car this week and found meetings near by i can go to. So yes God is wonderful!!
  9. holly86

holly86 Member

I got through my detox along with receiving prayers from people and it helped. My head is finally out of the dark clouds and i can think clearly. I already set an appt. with a drug counselor and i feel better. Thank u
    MichelleVL likes this.
  10. MichelleVL

MichelleVL Senior Contributor

That's great to hear Holly86! Your are totally on the right path. It's also great that you are building the support system around you, which is so important. You'll have tough days but you'll have people around to help. :D
    holly86 likes this.
  11. bretthuda33

bretthuda33 Active Contributor

You are stronger than a lot of others. You have taken a good step into the right direction. A fool who persists in his folly will become wise, I heard once said. We can only grow through our trials as it will make us stronger everyday, you just need to re-affirm your progress with others who will help you through it all. Getting involved in strong relationships with others and yourself is the best way to recover from addiction. The withdrawals will discontinue as you are getting stronger through them.
  12. Krato

Krato Member

Stay Focused, you went without it for so long so you can do it. I'm rooting for you. Fill yourself with positive energy and let the happiness you felt during your sobriety be your motivation and keep walking the path, it will be worth it in end, that is for certain.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@holly86... How are you doing, my friend? Just want you to know that I'm thinking about you. Keep doing the next right thing, and remember that we're here to help and support you.
  14. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Your relapse was not a consequence of addiction. This is because you had completed a whole year without using it. The battle against addiction, it can't be overemphasised is won or lost in the mind. I also encountered a similar situation. I quit alcohol for 4 months but relapsed due to intrusive thoughts.
  15. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

You should consider yourself a lucky man with a strong will-power. Heroin is so addictive that most of the people don't even think about leaving it. You are one of the brave persons who 'at least' tried to leave this drug. God will surely help you. The withdrawal symptoms that you are experiencing is temporary and it will fade over time and a day will come when you will be able to live happily again. The urges may come but don't ever relapse.
  16. Villiam

Villiam Member

Good Luck on your journey. you have already taken the hardest step, which is quitting. Your power of will is immense.
  17. Jose

Jose Active Contributor

I've never heard somebody quitting heroin like that, that must require a tremendous will power. I wish you the best and of course you will overcome this situation, you are meant to achieve great things. God bless you.
  18. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

One day at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time. Good luck and God bless.
  19. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Addiction is a mental condition. Your body does not need substance, it is your mind that needs something to get on high. You are in the right place to share your thoughts.
  20. madetofly

madetofly Member

Good to listen that you are trying your best to get out of this. good luck man and carry on we are with you whenever you need any support, help or advice just come here, after all, we are all family now. Don't relapse whatever your mind says.
    Be strong and be happy :)