An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On Dealing With Problems

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

A friend of mine who I was trying to convince to stop using drugs recently opened up and told me that he'd lost all hope. That if it weren't for drugs, he'd probably have killed himself a long time ago.

And this happened because his addiction robbed him of everything he held dear. When all was gone . . .

No one wants to get to that point where they lose hope completely. Attempting to deal with problems using drugs will most likely multiply your problems and make it almost impossible for you to solve them all. There's but one way to deal with problems — do something. Try to solve the problems. Don't run.

That's true. Don't try to run away. Face and overcome the problems. This way you won't be enslaved by drugs forever because for as long as yo use drugs, the problems you are trying to run away from will remain unsolved.
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  2. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

This is true. When you're going through hell the only solution is to keep going. I have to remind myself of the same thing, especially right now, when things are especially difficult. Action begets action.
    Rainman likes this.
  3. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Like most people, I've had to deal with all sorts of problems during the course of my life. Fortunately, I faced all my problems head-on and never tried to run away from them. When I overcame a particular problem, all that happened was I'd feel good about myself and my confidence would grow. This made dealing with the remaining issues a lot easier.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

The only thing that keeps alive is hope. Many people in the Hitler's concentration camp survived because they your hopeful that somewhere out there their loved ones were waiting for them.
  5. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I agree. If you don't face your problems, they are not going to go anywhere. Unless you decide to man up and fix them by yourself or with the help of others, they will plague you for the rest of your life.
  6. It's great advice, and if you have the time, patience and affection for this person, you might want to help them face their problems head-on in your way. Even just showing support, being there for someone when no one else is, really does help. Every little does.
  7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Well said @Rainman! People use drugs to deal with pain and things in life that are hard to deal with. Instead of facing the problems, they hide from them through the use of drugs and alcohol. These things will continue to compound because you do not have the right mind to deal with them the way you should. It will get the best of you in the end.
    Rainman and KaseyHopeMartin like this.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Drugs won't really help solve anything in the first place, yet people still use it because it makes them forget. When the effects of drugs wear off, they start using again so that they will forget again. That cycle needs to stop, and it will only stop if they quit.
  9. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Indeed. The only way out of any predicament is to face it head on. Different people may have different coping mechanisms, but if they only hold on and endure before calling it quits, they would realize that they're actually far stronger than the problems they're facing. Hope only runs out when you give up.
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Yup, as hard as it can be, confronting your problems is a lot easier in the long run than just avoiding them. If you're constantly avoiding your problems, it's not like they go away - they're just out of sight momentarily!
  11. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Drugs, alcohol and cigarettes are only temporary solutions to problems. Yes, for a short while they can relieve you off stress, problems and your issues. But that's it, it is only for a short time. Once the effects of these substances are gone, your problems will be back once again. So you're not really solving your problems, you're just running away from them. Will drugs provide you with a solution for your career problems? Or can it solve your marital issues? Nope.

So as much as you can, face your problems. Confront your issues. Solve your relationship problems. And not with any substance, but with communication and rational thinking. Whenever you're under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it makes you irrational and not able to think right. You get into decisions that weren't well-thought off. You spend more time running, you waste more time as well.

Time is precious. Don't use it running away from your problems with drugs or alcohol. You are the only person capable of solving whatever issue you might have. Do it sober and clean because this way, you're guaranteed a long-term solution to your problem. Good luck and take care always, everyone!
  12. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

If it wasn't for the drugs he would of killed himself. What a love affair that sounds like. Must of felt like a friend or all he had. It's kind of sad to think that a person could have such an attachment to something as destructive as this. It almost seems like an obvious lie. Like a way to get people to back off. This way he has made a solid excuse or what seems like one. Kind of like if he slips again he can use the old I'll kill myself maybe without this. Gets people off his back. Because the reality is of that as we know that drugs are the cause of people killing themselves not preventing this.
    Even you are saying you've been trying to convince him. So, you say you should not run away from your problems. This is true. Confrontation or something that is not right can be easy to walk away from but it doesn't solve anything really. So yes I agree, face it and figure it out. Why is it happening? What can I do differently? What is the problem? Sounds like his problem is simply ducking the issue.
  13. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you. A big part about growing up is realizing that no one else is going to solve your problems, it's something that you need to do on your own, and live the process. Even if sometimes it can be quite scary, it actually is the only way.