An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On Social Drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Some people say they can't stop drinking because it's the only way they can spend some time with friends. Question though is, how hard is it to invite said friends to your home so you can be together and have some tea or coffee instead of alcohol?

If you are one of those people who use this as an excuse so you can continue drinking admit that you have a problem. It isn't just social drinking. It's not. If you aren't addicted to alcohol then odds are if you drink every night with friends, you'll end up being an alcoholic. You need to quit drinking before it's too late because alcohol is bad not just to your health but also to your relationships and your job.
  2. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Quite right. People start drinking as social drinkers before they become addicted. A recent study indicated that if you wean a person off the social aspect of drinking, it relatively much easier for that person to quit drinking. I have observed that empty pubs do not excite patrons. It is also the reason that people do not like drinking at home. They like frequenting where beer and people are flowing.
  3. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Yep. I know quite a few people that use that tactic so that they can drink. I have these former coworkers that drink everyday. It's like a some sort of tradition for them—a tradition that they can't break. After office hours, they'd go drinking. And they even drink during the weekends. They say they're just having fun and enjoying their lives. They just don't realize that they're actually destroying it.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Drinking can have negative effects if it can't be controlled. I think when someone gets drunk at social gatherings they have more of a chance of being a alcoholic. It's just the feeling of being numb to worries and stress and being completely out of it. If somebody sips a little socially I don't think they'll end up having problems. Over all if anyone is trying to over come alcohol addiction they should stay away from social events where there is drinking at all.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Being an ex-alcoholic myself, I'd also like to point out that a lot of people do drink alcohol socially but can act responsible and that doesn't cause any issues.

A lot of people like to relax with friends over a few beers or a glass of wine, and if they can control it, it's not a problem. The problem starts when they feel that they NEED to have a drink just to be sociable, and that was my downfall in the end.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

It depends on what you mean by "social drinkers" College students might consider themselves to be social drinkers, but binge drinking where copious amounts of alcohol is consumed is more the norm than the exception. Just having a beer or a few glasses of wine after work is a ritual that many people engage in, and they don't go on to develop a problem.
  7. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Indeed, I guess you can relate it to herd mentality, whereby people will follow others for the prospect of being socially accepted. My step-father encouraged me to "have a beer" so I always made sure to have a glass of coke as an excuse to say no, since I didn't and still don't like alcohol and I have no interest in it.

Luckily this is mostly only applicable to young people and it is just a phase society is going through, I can't wait until I can be at the age where having a cup of coffee with some friends is alright and you don't need to drink and smoke. You can't really do much about it because even though you don't like it, there are 100 people who do like it and what chance do you have against the majority.

I guess all you can do is just deal with it cunningly and avoid drinking by developing some sort of smart excuse or strategy. Take small sips from one cup of beer the whole night while everyone drinks bottles. You can at least know that you are being a responsible person.
  8. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I never see the reason why people feel they must drink because everyone else is doing it. You can have more meaningful times without alcohol involved and it's also good with the memories made.
  9. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

People needn't alcohol in order to be social, but many of them don't get it. If you have to drink in order to become worthy of someone's attention, it is better to stop and find new, sober friends. You shouldn't do anything you don't like just because you feel the need to fit in a group. Surround yourself with healthy, positive influences.
  10. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Living in South Africa, it's sort of ingrained in the culture that you need to be drinking in all social situations. That's probably one of the reasons why alcoholism is such a massive problem here, and we also happen to have one of the largest brewery companies in the world.

Personally, I don't believe it's necessary to drink alcohol in all social situations. A non-alcoholic beverage of any kind will suffice in my opinion.
  11. Min

Min Active Contributor

I think to some people the number of the group determines what is acceptable.

I know that if I'm getting together with just one friend it's normal to go and have coffee or tea. Even 3 of us, we can have coffee. But there's something about a gathering of 4 or more that means alcohol should be involved. If it's breakfast, then it's a brunch drink. If it's lunch, then it's a lunch drink. And then anything after lunch, it's time for cocktails. There's not even a thought to having something that's not alcohol based. But with just 2 it's never the default. As @SashaS said, I think it's the herd mentality that makes drinking important.
    SashaS likes this.
  12. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

When I get together with friends I try and have a good time and don't use alcohol and try and use soft drinks and also enjoy doing something fun which can be nice and we usually try and watch a movie or hang out outside, and sit and chat which can be a good thing and enjoy doing that. I like that having a social drink can be a good thing and you can have it in moderation which can make the meeting nice and you can have some snacks which can be quite filling and enjoyable as well when with friends. I think when going to a bar with friends you should see the price of drinks so you have enough money and also you don't overspend which can mean you may have more than you want which can make you addicted to the alcohol.
    Min likes this.
  13. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

You can always no drink, while also allowing your friends to drink. I don't believe they have to be mutually exclusive. Although, it definitely does feel weird to be the only non-drinker, but if your friends are understanding, they will be cool with it. Even better friends will try not to drink when they are out with you.
  14. Min

Min Active Contributor

That's absolutely true - and I guess in situations like this I don't think my friends and I automatically think these types of gatherings call for drinking.
    Where I think my situation happens is if we're meeting in a restaurant/cafe - and again, if it's a group of people. Something about eating and drinking and a group. But I must say, going to a park, no one is ever sneaking a flask :)
  15. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Аlсоhоl саn lеssеn tеnsiоn, rеduсе inhibitiоns, аnd еаsе sосiаl соntасt. Whеn usеd in еxсеss, hоwеvеr, it саn bе physiсаlly аnd psyсhоlоgiсаlly аddiсting; саusе impаirеd mеmоry, сооrdinаtiоn, аnd judgmеnt; dаmаgе thе hеаrt, livеr, аnd nеrvоus systеm; аnd lеаd tо birth dеfесts. Thе аbusеr аlsо plасеs himsеlf оr hеrsеlf аnd оthеrs аt risk if hе оr shе drivеs оr оpеrаtеs mасhinеry аftеr drinking tоо muсh.

Аlсоhоl аbusе аnd dеpеndеnсе саn stаrt аt аny аgе. Thеrе аrе nо gооd prеdiсtоrs оf whеn it mаy stаrt, thоugh а fаmily histоry оr сurrеnt fаmily аlсоhоl оr drug аbusе prоblеms mаy influеnсе thе stаrt оf pеrsоnаl drinking prоblеms. Sоmе pеоplе hаvе bееn hеаvy drinkеrs fоr mаny yеаrs, but оthеrs dеvеlоp а drinking prоblеm lаtеr in lifе. Sоmеtimеs thе оnsеt is triggеrеd by mаjоr lifе сhаngеs thаt саusе dеprеssiоn, isоlаtiоn, bоrеdоm, аnd lоnеlinеs
  16. pwarbi

While its certainly true that people don't need alcohol to have a good time, it's almost as if it's engrained into the western culture that it's just a way of life.

Lots of people can go out and not have a drink, but if they go out with people that do, it's as if they are looked down on in some regards and they then feel like they have to have a drink in order to fit in.
  17. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

There is a difference between occasional drinks with some friends on the game night. Few beers is quite okay once in a week or so. The problem is, of course, when you over do it. I do not think heavy drinkers would go so far to have a drink. They rarely hide or make this kind of charade. They will buy a bottle and get wasted. At least what I have seen during the years.
  18. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

If it's that big a deal for your friends they can bring their own liquor; they can also respect your sobriety by choosing not to. Or...perhaps you might need new friends :-/
  19. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, as always, prevention is better than cure. :)
    Those kinds of friends that influence you or ask you to drink even they knew you are trying to be sober or getting of the addiction are not good friends. Better to really change friends that will want to see and help you be a better person.
  20. pwarbi

Changing friends though can be easier said than done, and sometimes it's not friends that are the problem but family.

If you come from a family if drinkers and you intend to quit, touvcant exactly stop your family from being part of your life, so what then?