An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

On Social Drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Rainman, Mar 24, 2016.

1. nick92

nick92 Member

As long as one doesn't get drunk every day with his mates, I think social drinking is not a big issue. From time to time, it is great to have one or two beers with your friends and relax. Drinking becomes a problem when one consumes too much alcohol, whether in the company of his friends or alone.
  2. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

This is a big problem and was exactly how I used to be. I felt like I couldn't hang around other people or have fun unless I was drinking. It's very destructive and for people that do that, they need to take a step back and ponder on why they feel they have to do that in the first place.
  3. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Maybe get other type of friends? ;) I'd do that. For me it would be dangerous to get friends who like to have drinks... I'd refer friends who don't like to drink for whatever personal reason they might have. Better safe than sorry, right?
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That is so true, and if they don't like drinking alcohol then they should not even have a problem saying no to their friends who invited them, right? People should really admit that they have a problem before it gets worse, and do something about it rather than enable it.
  5. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Pretty much. On the other hand we can also drink socially. In order not to stand out we can simply hold a glass with the same drink all night... ;)
  6. henry

henry Community Champion

The real issue is, that when we start getting into drinking, we begin to make drinking buddies. We don't want to hang out with friends who don't drink anymore, because we start considering them squares. A bit later, we become a drinking buddy ourselves, and that's when the trouble starts, and when you plan a get together with friends, the first thing you ask is, "Who's bringing the booze?"
  7. ThomasCard

ThomasCard Member

Lots of different opinions in this thread, I just thought I'd throw my thoughts up here as well! I agree that drinking in a social situation can get dangerous as things can easily get out of control with alcohol very quickly, but I do think that one or two with friends every other week is not too bad as long as you can control yourself to keep it down to one or two and no eleven or twelve!
    Recently I've tried to not have any when I'm out with friends but there's always something around whether we are at a bar, or a friends place so I'll try to just limit it.
  8. oportosanto

The issue is that we tend to do the same that our friends are doing. So if our friends go to bars and drink we will do the same unless we start changing what we do.
  9. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

That's a very good advice. Social drinking is very dangerous; I'd rather be with friends who have my best interest at heart and would appreciate what I would have rather than pushing something to me that could cause us all harm in the future.
  10. oportosanto

Those are some smart words and we need to be smart enough to pick the friends that don't lead us to bad ways and don't put us in situations we don't want to be in.