An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Once an addict always an addict?

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by GenevB, May 15, 2015.

1. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

What do you think about this statement? It clearly tells us that an addict will never be someone free, but an addiction might take several forms, even if we quit the substances we used to abuse, we end up doing other things that plays the role of replacing them. For instance I remember myself after I quit smoking for about a month, how obsessed I was about playing chess, how I learned a lot of strategies and I was mad about winning every single time I played.

What do you think, do people really get out of their addiction? Or it simply switch the form?
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

To a certain degree I think it's true. Once a person has managed to get clear of the drug abuse, I do think they'll be more susceptible than others to use again.

This doesn't mean that they automatically will though. As the time goes on, it will get easier and so that doesn't necessarily mean someone can't recover and get on with their life.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, considering that one got clear of drug abuse, he will almost certainly switch for another one, I was pointing that no matter what, an addict stays an addict. It's just the form of addiction that changes, his new addiction might not even be harmful, he might find himself into reading or playing chess, or even going to the gym.
  4. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

I agree with what OP said. Even after losing an addiction of something, our mind tends to cling to something else. In my case, it was first alcohol, and now its gaming.

I don't know why, but I feel more attracted to things than the normal people. I think its a way of the brain to 'cope up' with the loss of an addiction.
  5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I don't really think so. Everyone changes, either for the better or for the worse. But I do believe past addicts could still live a normal life again.
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

I never believed in this saying. Nothing in life is set in stone. And if a person wants it bad enough, they can always change their ways and how they go about things. It's how people go about their lives staying sober and the like for years on end.
  7. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

I won't go as far as saying the phrase is correct. But in some regard it is. Because even if the person isn't using anymore, the fact that they were already addicted once means the craving is still there, just dormant.
  8. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

No, it's not true that once an addict always an addict. And it isn't true that people inherit addictions, except in the case of a mother in active addiction during pregnancy. Otherwise the only way to become an addict or an alcoholic is to abuse substances on a regular basis over a period of time.
  9. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

I look it as I do any other disease. There are 3 possible reactions to drug use. The immune can do the drugs and never get addicted. The addict is someone who did the drug and became addicted. And the third is the person who is a "carrier". It's always there, just under the surface. It may even be benign right now. But if you don't take care of yourself it won't stay benign for long.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I think that some of us have more of a tendency towards displaying addictive patterns than others, especially people who come from family backgrounds with a history of drug or alcohol abuse. But I don't think that anyone should ever be labeled as an "eternal" addict. People change as their life circumstances and habits change. In the end it's up to the individual to change his attitude and way of thinking. The rest will follow.
  11. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

Yes once an addict always an addict. I know this as I am one. By giving up alcohol and drugs you just transferred your addiction into sports and bodybuilding. Trying to fix the outside won't fix the inside. An addiction will always be with you and come out in many ways sex, gambling, drugs, drink, exercise anything that we can use to can change the way we feel quickly (fixing). It needs to be addressed or you will be causing yourself years of pain.
  12. Shrektinator

Shrektinator Member

Well, an addict can quit being addicted, but in your example with chess, I don't think it is really a change of form. One can stop being an addict and not be addicted again, but with something like chess, maybe it's only because you like chess, not because your addicted to it. I don't think addiction changes forms.
  13. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

An addiction need not last a lifetime. You aren't truly free if you are what you were addicted to still has some power over you. Religious people would agree with me. He whom the Son sets free is free indeed. An addiction might or might last lifetime depending on which methods you used to overcome it. Someone who embraces religion as their answer for example may never stumble again.
  14. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I like to think I'll be free of addiction one day. But the truth is I can't see it happening. That's not to say I won't feel differently in the future. But right now it feels pretty permanent
  15. triciarie

triciarie Member

I believe its true because most addicts who get clean have to completely change their lifestyles, environment, friends etc... Just to keep from relapseing. And they can go years or months sober but get back around it or people who do it and they crave it..not necessarily the drug but the party that comes with it..and they relapse. So when u get sober ur always going day by day fighting to stay clean. So yes once an addict always an addict.