An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

one cigarette away from a pack

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by tasha, Feb 15, 2016.

1. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

before you feel like you need a cigarte remember that your throat was always dry, you smell so bad and you feel sluggish and when you feel like jut one drag be sure to know that one drag will lead to a pack and this is so hard to stop again, if you have quit do not give in to the one drag story because it never works out that way
  2. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

If you quit there is never just one cigarette because after that one there will be another and another and before you realize it you are hooked again.
  3. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I agree there's no point in going backwards. Why even mess up the progress that was made. Even one cigarette is too much if you ask me? What's in it is already addictive, it's not meant for you to smoke just one.
  4. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

When I tried to quit, I kept thinking to myself "one won't do me any harm." Safe to say I ended up hooked again.
    I finally plucked up the courage and stopped buying cigarettes and bought myself a vaporizer.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

That is so true. I was able to finally quit smoking after three tries. I relapsed on the first two times that I tried to quit smoking. One puff of smoke is only what it takes to get you hooked once more. But I've learned a lot from my failures and now I'm totally nicotine free.
  6. JadeVengeance

JadeVengeance Active Contributor

Did you have any things to help you become completely nicotine free? Well done for doing that by the way :)
  7. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I have heard the phrase... "You are one puff away from a pack a day" and it seems to be true. It's so easy to relapse on cigarettes and all the frustration of quitting has to be started over. I quit and restarted so many times, it is good to keep this in mind, because I never want to be a smoker again!
  8. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. I also found that it wasn't easy to quit after the first try, what with the ready availability of cigarettes. I used to quit for a month or so. I even quit for several months but couldn't resist an occasional drag. When you quit, your subconscious tends to shut out the negative experiences of smoking. The converse is true.
  9. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree, one cigarette is too many. I hate that I ever smoked my first cigarette so many years ago, but I did. These days, when my friends smoke around me, or I hear them lighting up when we are on the phone talking, it kind of makes me want to smoke too, but it was so hard for me to quit that I just don't feel like starting up again, only to have to go through the pain and process of quitting yet again.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, prevention is better than being addicted again. :)
    Better not to convince yourself that one stick or try will not hurt or harm. Better to think that it could lead to bigger problems and harder to control.
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

This is what I fear most. I fear my fiance finally manages to quit for a bit, but then he gives in all of a sudden. I'd hate that to happen. I can definitely see this happening, after all it happened to his dad and to this day he still smokes a cigarette or two, he thinks he is tricking his wife, but she knows it (she told me). I fear the same will happen to us.
  12. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Happened to me too. I used to think it was just one last one, but it turned into a whole lot of one last ones.