An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

One last crutch to kill

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by True concern, Jul 27, 2018.

1. True concern

True concern Community Champion

So I have been addicted to everything, broke free of them all except cigarettes So for 5 day's now I have been taking Bupropion which is generic Wellbutrin it's actually for depression with a added bonus of eliminating the urge to smoke.I did this with this medication once before and went back to smoking 5 month's later while drunk at a bar,however I no longer drink,I run so get my knee fixed and eliminate the cigarettes and from there....I don't know it will be a me that hasn't existed in 30 year's so by the time I smoke my last cigarette in about 5-7 day's (last time it took 12 day's to give them up)however after this I can State with conviction I will be 100% free of these damn series of substance's I have eliminated.Not proud of the number but it will be 6 different addictions down in 8 month's. .....God Willing
    Lostboy8731, lonewolves and deanokat like this.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern i think you are amazing. just want to say that. you have done an "about face" and i'm truly, truly proud of you. happy for you.

i'll be thinking of you and sending "quit vibes" for those cigs. remember each time you ride the craving out, that nicotine monster gets smaller and smaller. kill that sucker! :)

hope you are having a great day!!!!!
    True concern and lonewolves like this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I'm proud of you, too, @True concern! Cigarettes/nicotine = a horrible addiction. I'm so glad you're on a mission to kick its ass!!! I quit smoking almost 28 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself, except for marrying my wife.

Sending you positive vibes and TONS of encouragement!!! You got this, my friend!!!!! :):D
  4. True concern

o_Oo_Oo_O:confused::):):):confused::confused::confused::D:confused::confused:
    lonewolves, deanokat and Dominica like this.
  5. True concern

So just an update on how this pill is working in my attempt to quit smoking.So I made this thread FRI and here it is Monday and I don't know how it works or why it works but Im already smoking about 6-8 cigarettes a day less than I was before the pill and half the cigarettes I light I put out after 2-3 hits.The down side which I believe to be normal is Im a little quicker to "Snap"verbally over something that is truly irrelevant so until the cigarettes are completely gone I maybe a bit tense and snappy but a small price to pay for the ability to breath
    Lostboy8731 and Dominica like this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@True concern snappy for now is a small price to pay for stopping... congrats!! i've met several people who successfully stopped using chantix!!

keep it up !!
    True concern likes this.
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

That is AWESOME, @True concern! So glad to hear it! I hope you can continue to cut down and eventually get those bad boys out of your life forever!
  8. True concern

Oh they gotta go no doubt and I will not stop until they are gone
    Lostboy8731, deanokat and Dominica like this.