An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

One Or More Alcoholic Parents?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by sonia11, Jul 24, 2015.

1. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

I'm just curious, how many of us have alcoholism in the family? Personally, I have one parent who drinks to the point that personality changes and abuse happens. It's never been confirmed, but in my opinion I also have an aunt with an alcohol problem. It's a pretty controversial issue, but do you think alcoholism/substance abuse is genetic or a product of environment?
  2. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think it could be genetic. I know people who have parents that have or still abuse drugs and alcohol and do it to. I have a grandfather who use to drink until he died from it, I use to drink and use drugs until I almost did. There could be cases where this won't pass on. But most of the time thing's could be hereditary, of course each individual could change there own habits.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Both actually. There is talks about a addictive gene that gets passed on to children. I may or may not have gotten that, but I can tell you now that all of my brothers and sister drink or smoke weed at some point in our lives.

It was also all around us when growing up. our parents friends would come over and party all day and night. It was apart of our lives and doing your homework was impossible.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I believe that it is. I have seen it in many situations. There are also the circumstances where it does not apply too. I have a sister who is an alcohol and neither of my parents abused alcohol. She was never brought up around it. She only started drinking heavily once she moved out and got.married. She began hanging around with people who drank excessively and she fell into the same habit. A lot of those people have since died because of their alcoholism but it never stopped my sister. She still drinks every day of life. It is sad to watch her destroying her life but there is nothing anybody can do because she doesn't think she has a problem.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

My dad never drank. My mom did back when she was younger before she was married, sometimes to excess - to the point that she cut her arm open by falling on broken glass on her 21st birthday. I don't remember seeing her drink ever as a kid though, so I think it was all pre-marriage and kids binge drinking.
  6. sonia11

sonia11 Senior Contributor

That's why it's so hard to separate the two - nature vs. nurture. It could be genetic, or it could be that you and your siblings were raised to think addictive behavior is normal. I've also heard that there can be an "addictive personality type". Basically someone who will come at any situation with the potential to do that thing until it's unhealthy.