An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

One thing I noticed about this forum...

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by 111kg, Dec 2, 2015.

1. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

I may be wrong, but most or at least a large number of people rush to tell about their close ones that they are addicted. But isn't an addiction a medical condition in which people do not have control over what they are doing, taking or using?

Yes, after a long exposure, they become addicted, but I see people here complaining how their daughters went out for a night and think that now they're addicted to alcohol. Addictions are perceived in a wrong way, and this is why, in part, people with real addictions don't get the help they need.
  2. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

A lot of people are worried about possible signs and red flags during the process of getting addicted and developing habitual behavior.
    The key to understanding it is to stay informed.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, of course, we shouldn't jump to conclusions right away, and label a certain person an addict immediately. However, this doesn't mean we should already act like it's no big deal, and not get worried. If you are noticing someone's getting hooked to a particular substance, and it's somehow affecting his/her life in a negative way, then you should try to do something, and help out.
    kassie1234 likes this.
  4. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I have noticed a few stories like that on here but only a very few. I find for the most part people come on here when they are really concerned and they see their loved ones life going on a downward spiral. They are concerned and they want to help before the person hits rock bottom. The addict is there whether it be to drugs or alcohol. I have read many stories on here and some of them are heartbreaking. People are feeling helpless and frustrated. I don't think they are overreacting at all.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I agree. Honestly, I think in my case if a loved one had noticed earlier on, and had pushed for me to do something/get help/wake up to how destructive I was being, then perhaps it wouldn't have been so bad. Sure, a person might not develop an addiction right away, but I actually think it's commendable when people are here asking for help and advice -- it sounds like they're just genuinely concerned and don't want it to spiral into a full blown addiction if it's not there already.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I always define addiction as something uncontrollable that interferes with your routine or way of living, so when I read someone's story I gauge up to what extent they are addicted and if it's serious enough to check themselves in a rehab facility, and I advise them accordingly.
  7. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Addiction is a very scary thing so it shouldn't surprise you to see people talking about a loved one and how they think that person might be addicted in forums like this. Knowledge is key to understanding and some of these people might walk away perhaps more calmed after they have read some posts here.
  8. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Th earlier one can deal with substance abuse issues, preemptive action could stop someone they love from slipping further into the abyss that addiction is. So if one suspects that someone they love has used drugs even once then the advice they get on forums like this one could be what they need to convince the person they love to never use drugs again.

IMHO being concerned about a loved one is OK.
  9. AngryItalian

AngryItalian Member

In my opinion, I think the sooner you tell your family about your problem, the sooner you may actually get the support and the help you need to break away from your habit. Being alone when you have the choice to be otherwise is something that almost always sets you up to fail. Many people remain ashamed of themselves and refuse to admit it to anyone. It's the worst thing I could have imagined myself doing in my situation.
  10. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

The forum is here to talk about drug abuse, so while some people's stories might not sound like they, or their loved ones have an actual addiction yet, they have been worried enough to register here and post a thread asking for help, and that shouldn't be ignored in my opinion.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well lets face it addictive behavior is very prominent in our society. If we have not been personally affected by addiction, we all have friends and loved ones who suffer...so I think this forum is helpful to all in those situations.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I think it is better to be proactive than reactive. It is better to monitor a situation as things often spiral out of control before you know it. It is not jumping to conclusions but looking out for those you care about. Individuals who are caught up in alcohol or drugs are often not aware of what they are getting into. They need others to look out for them.
    deanokat likes this.
  13. 111kg

111kg Community Champion

Yes, indeed, but sometimes, proactive is nothing else than being overprotective. I honestly think that people have to see for themselves why certain things are bad for them. It's the best way of learning, even though it's considered the hard way, but it actually isn't. In my opinion, except for the drugs, it's better to see what drinking and smoking is really about before deciding that they are not worth of you health, time and money rather than having a small portion of your body always curious about these substances.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

Parents will especially worry about their children. It's a scary thing to go through so they're just trying to make sure it's not occurring.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yeah. I didn't see that one about someone complaining about their daughter going out one night. Some people are get fearful about something that make no sense. Its like anything else. If you put the basis and guidelines in place with your child. There should be no reason to worry. Teach them something that they can use.
    I've asked people's kids what they think of drugs. I'm for the most part surprised as to how informed and intelligent they are about it.
    Your question is about if addiction is a medical condition. This is how the medical field looks at it. Personally, I think it depends upon the person. Whatever the person is inclined to do. Some people run to the doctor for everything. Feel that there is no other way. These people of course will or should. If they don't have enough sense to stop after a few times and get their act together. People that have a daily problem that's been going on for a long time more than likely will not be able to do it on their own necessarily. I've actually seen people with a serious daily problem do it on their own.
    It is a condition. Not necessarily one that you needs medical attention. There are plenty of people that can get a handle on things like this. If someone needs an emergency room or doctor; this is a serious problem. In that case yes.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  16. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I think it's all about being observant. It's good when we can support addicts in getting through their recovery but we should also be able to recognize the warning signs and prevent a possible addiction taking place. Some of the stories you have seen could be a result of this. Loved ones noticing their friends and family are starting to portrait addictive tendencies so they are trying to get ahead of the situation before it spirals.
  17. 6up

6up Community Champion

It is always good to be open that is why any issue raised earlier can be solved earlier. You should not wait until after 5 years that is when you ask for advice. Addiction starts from the first time one tastes alcohol or any other drug. One needs to look for advice from past addicts and not someone who has never been addicted in one way or another. I like this forum because of the way people interact. The simple questions being asked here are easily understood thereby one expects to get answers immediately.
  18. deewanna

deewanna Senior Contributor

It's true that you can't get addicted after just one night or one time. But even that one time is enough to create the seed of addiction in anyone. And this forum is meant to guard against such.
  19. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Come on guys. It is so easy to notice an addict. It is like telling the difference between day and night. Addicts would do anything to satisfy their need whenever they feel high. This is the only way you can tell if one is an addict or not.