An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

One touch cessation

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by remnant, Mar 9, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Community Champion

Majority of drug addicts experience hell on earth while trying to quit. Deaths from withdrawal symptoms have been reported. I happen to have a relative who was a smoker and knee-deep in alcoholism. One day, he quit. Just like that. Up to this moment, he has never relapsed and even talk about drugs does not interest him since it is no longer an issue in his realm any more.
    greybird29 likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Wow - that's definitely a show of some strong willpower there, it's very impressive to just be able to quit cold turkey without any slip ups or setbacks! I wonder what the turning point was that just made him quit - I feel like almost everyone has that eye opening realization and that's what makes them want to get on the path to sobriety.
    greybird29 likes this.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

How some people are able to quit cold turkey and successfully beat their addiction is something we really never can understand. There has to be more to it than just a strong will. One ex-addict I knew stopped drinking when his first kid came along. He loved his child more than alcohol.

I suppose at times what one needs is a really good reason to fight and overcome their addiction.
    greybird29 likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@remnant... It's great that your relative was able to give up drinking and smoking just like that. He is likely an example of a recovery path that researcher William Miller labeled "quantum change." With quantum change, a minority of people are able to suddenly completely shift course, as opposed to the more typical recovery process of trying and failing multiple times before succeeding. The people who are able to stop a bad habit and not ever go back are indeed very lucky.
    greybird29 likes this.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well some people have that kind of special ability to turn off something as if turning off a switch. You call that "resilience." And that's rare. Others aren't as fortunate. They need a support system and outside help - from experts or from people who care - in order to recover.
    greybird29 likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Quitting cold turkey can be effective for some people while some struggle with it. I think if the addict can deal and resist the withdrawal symptoms that come with quitting then he is most likely to succeed in quitting cold turkey.
    greybird29 likes this.
  7. Min

Min Active Contributor

That's an amazing story - truly one in a million. There are things I quit doing slowly ... and the effects were lasting. But I think if I would quit something overnight without ever looking back ... well, I'm just not wired that way. And I think that's what it is - how your brain is wired. Those lucky few of us who can simply unplug that wire and move forward got the luck of the draw. I wonder if they walk away thinking "if it was this easy for me to do, what took me so long?"
    greybird29 likes this.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I wonder if the person who did that was truly an addict. I mean that is not something that the average person can do because drugs change your brain, your bio chemistry, your psychology and just about everything else that could change. It is hard to turn addiciton on and off like a switch for sure.
    greybird29 likes this.
  9. greybird29

greybird29 Active Contributor

Congratulations to your relative it can take strong will power to go cold turkey! For some folks it comes easy to quit and never crave relapse or look back; for others it seems impossible. In my opinion your relative would be considered a minority, a very lucky person and envied by the majority of us that struggle with the demons of addictions.

How long ago did your relative drink/ smoke and how much/often? How long ago did they quit? Did they start any other habits or hobbies? Did they change their routine/social circle? What was their inspiration? Do they have any suggestions, tips or tricks for those struggling to quit.

Best wishes to all in the journey of life.