An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

One Year Without Meth

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by FreeSpirit, Sep 16, 2014.

1. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Member

Hi Everyone, I'm happy to say I'm celebrating one year clean from meth today. It was challenging at first but I'm never looking back and never going back to that stuff. For anyone who wants to get clean from the stuff just remember it's possible and there is a ton of support out there. Good luck!
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Woot! That's awesome. Congrats, FreeSpirit :)
    FreeSpirit, Joseph and Cat1987 like this.
  3. Cat1987

Cat1987 Member

Congratulations FreeSpirit! That's really encouraging. Thanks for sharing with us!
    FreeSpirit and Joseph like this.
  4. KeyserSöze

KeyserSöze Member

How did you do it?
    FreeSpirit and Joseph like this.
  5. Jane Smith

Jane Smith Member

Congrats, FreeSpirit! What a wonderful reminder that if we really want something and commit ourselves to it, anything's possible!
    FreeSpirit, Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  6. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Congratulations, FreeSpirit! Thanks for sharing your success story with us. Here's to another happy and healthy year for you!
    FreeSpirit likes this.
  7. LaLaLaLaLola

LaLaLaLaLola Member

That is so great! Congrats, FreeSpirit!
    Joseph and FreeSpirit like this.
  8. FreeSpirit

FreeSpirit Member

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It feels really good to be my normal self again. As for how I did it, I went to residential treatment for 14 days first. Started going to NA meetings and actually got a sponsor this time. I never wanted to get one before. I think this time around I was willing to do whatever I needed to do not to live that way anymore.
    geegee, Joseph and Jen S. like this.
  9. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

That's wonderful, FreeSpirit! Congratulations, as well! You are an amazing proof that drugs can be stopped if one is determined enough to do so. I really admire your drive and determination for change -- not everyone can do that. Keep it up! :)
  10. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Congratulations! As for getting a sponsor, I think that was definitely the right choice. Good sponsors can make a world of difference, even though people aren't always willing to get one at first. Sometimes you just have to give in and do things you've been fighting on the road to recovery, such as getting a sponsor or getting treatment in the first place.
  11. ambernw

ambernw Member

Congrats!! I'm glad you got the support and help you needed. It's always nice hearing about anniversaries :)
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Congratulations. I've never tried it before but I know meth is one of the drugs that is harder to give up, so anyone who's addicted to it and decides to give it up must have strong willpower and for that I commend you. Your story shows that a strong decision and just going forth with it works, and I just hope many other meth addicts will find your post and get inspired by it.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Congratulations!!! Keep up the good work.
  14. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

Hey good for you! It's good that you're encouraging others too. Maybe you can share some of the secrets of your success. I agree that getting support is a huge step. :)
  15. TheKid

TheKid Active Contributor

Hey!
    Congratulations! You sir are one great person with a lot of willpower! Thanks for sharing you success with the rest of us, I sure it will give everyone enough courage to overcome any addiction!
  16. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Awesome job! Meth is a hard drug to recover from. I hope it didn't damage your health too badly and that you are having a great and wonderful life now. The road is less rocky and clearer for you now, just keep up the good work.
  17. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

Congratulations! I know it must be hard, but you seem strong. Keep up the great work!
  18. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

Kudos to you I as a recovering alcoholic know how hard it is to get and stay clean. I wish you all the best, and I agree if anyone wants to get clean from any substance it is possible. I takes a pure understanding that the road is long as well as rough. Having a support system is always helpful as well. Just know that it is possible stay away from people and places that may get you tempted.
  19. Lucy

Lucy Member

Wow! I am so proud of you! That is a HUGE accomplishment! I am so glad that you do not want to go back. Congrats! You are such a strong person. :)
  20. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

Nice! :) How did you come to the point where we decided to quit cold turkey? and, during the period of not using meth, what were some of the strategies that you implemented in your life to not go back to meth? you're a fighter I can tell you that!