An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Online Meetings

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. geegee

geegee Active Contributor

So true! The problem with online meetings I guess, would be it would be harder for anyone to monitor you. You can just make an excuse to yourself not to go online. I guess the same could be said for real life programs, but it's easier to have someone come over and encourage you to continue attending the meetings. Anyway, it still sounds like a good idea if you're really dedicated and you have a valid excuse to not be able to attend real life meetings.
  2. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

The way that we connect with people is changing. Face to face interaction is best, for some people, but more and more I am seeing people that are comfortable, and forming bonds over the computer. Social networking has brought about a revolution when it comes to the way we deal with people, and how we perceive those relationships. GeeGee is correct, you have to dedicate yourself, and not offer up excuses, but I kind of think that if you're going to do that, you're going to do it either way. Do what feels right, and what feels like it's working for you.
  3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

So true, the way we interact change and meeting online is convenient, but when leaving the addiction we can't stick just with convenience I feel, we must go all in.
  4. Nick W.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying that sometimes, if online is all that we can do, it has to be enough. At least, to start with. Maybe that will grow into other meetings. I'm just trying to say not to discount what can be done via Skype, online, etc...
  5. Gelsemium

Yep, I can imagine being alone at home at night, considering to go back to the addiction and having the option to turn on the computer and talk to someone about it, before we know it the urge to use drugs passed thanks to that interaction.
    Nick W. likes this.
  6. bluekknd2

bluekknd2 Member

I use the online meetings as a supplement to my real life meetings. We all could get a meeting group going.
    Nick W. likes this.
  7. Nick W.

Yeah, it's smart to be able to supplement your "real life" meetings with online ones, if it's something that works for you, I say go for it. Just don't kid yourself if it's not working.
  8. Gelsemium

Yep, I am all for going with whatever it works for you, I agree that using it as a supplement is more likely to work though, we need "real" interaction to keep it real.
    Nick W. likes this.
  9. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

I have. Not for AA but for SLAA. I don't know. I don't find it very helpful because it's hard for me to get used to the lack of feedback after sharing. I feel like there should be some kind of discussion or feedback after sharing. Am I wrong? Also, I felt there were more creepers at the online meetings. It's a great hub for vulnerable people and for people preying on vulnerable people. I prefer face to face meetings that are all women.
  10. sammy

sammy Active Contributor

Thanks for posting the link. I wondered if there was such a thing but quickly dismissed it because I felt having accountability for who was attending might be too hard or there might be concerns about the meeting being taped. I think it's a valuable option though and I am sure it has helped some who are too hesitant to attend a meeting in person.
  11. LostmySis

LostmySis Senior Contributor

Online meetings can help people overcome the fear thy have of speaking as well as allow some people to be more honest than they may be in the live meetings. As someone stated though, caution must be taken. I knew someone who stopped going to in person meetings completely and only did the online. By doing this, he was easily distracted by life--the phone, television, kids etc. Then he would say "I did a meeting". No, you watched some words scroll, because you were not actively participating or comprehending.
  12. Gin0710

Gin0710 Active Contributor

There were meetings in my area for women, but it got cancelled. I haven't seen them pop up again. I shall keep looking.
  13. Nick W.

Is that really any different than the guy who sits in the back of the room and never interacts or shares? I mean, sure it can happen, but it's going to happen in both scenarios if you're not taking it seriously.
  14. RobertNick

RobertNick Member

Online gatherings would work for the more thoughtful. It generally takes me a while to warm up to individuals, and on the off chance that I went to gatherings, I would presumably invest a great deal of time in the back, attempting to get the nerve to truly open up. Not so with online gatherings, where there is more obscurity.
  15. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I've never attended online meetings but I can see how they can be enjoyable. I think that seeing someone that is on the same track as you, or even checking in with people that are on the same path can be really beneficial. It's even better if you do can do it (online meetings) quite often.
  16. Gelsemium

Online meetings are not as good as in person meeting, but believe me that we can establish good and long lasting relationships and who knows even friendships that go beyond the virtual. Behind these words are people after all. ;)
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I've never attended an online meeting. When I was addicted to alcohol, I didn't even have a computer and knew very little about the internet. Even these days I don't have a strong inclination to connect with others on the internet to talk about private matters. I much prefer "real" people around me, and attend "real" groups. But I also understand that there is a lot of social isolation these days, and that being able to communicate with others 24/7 online can be a real life saver.
  18. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I think virtual meetings are an ideal avenue for one to express oneself freely. You are more at ease with yourself and you're able to pour your heart out without feeling any tension or fear of being criticized openly whether positively or negatively.Am yet to take part in any such meetings but i would welcome such a chance.
  19. rubydust

rubydust Member

I joined an online NA meeting over the festive period, when I had very strong urges to use again. I have never attended a 'physical' NA meeting, so I am not able to compare the two.

The meeting was at a set time online, where you can use your mic to actually chat, not just type. I can tell you, that meeting really helped me. Just listening to others and the support they give each other was amazing, I almost cried.

Being a part of that online meeting was just what I needed, and it prevented me from using again.
  20. blur92

blur92 Senior Contributor

Despite the disadvantages of online meetings, I think it can potentially be a huge help. I have not personally attended one, but I have recently been on some social networks where you socialize via webcam. It was my first time really doing so, and I found that I was much more social and open then I would have been in person. However, like I said, it was through a webcam. If the meeting is done using strictly text then I think the disadvantages more greatly outweigh the advantages.