An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Online Meetings

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. thisizznaveen

thisizznaveen Active Contributor

I love online meeting too.
    Because personally I am not good in talking face to face.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I've never gone to an online meeting as such, but I do like online forums which I find are also helpful and beneficial to recovery. I think anywhere that you can have a network of people that are encouraging you is going to be a good thing. It's a good thing for me to hear stories of people that have fought through the hard times and have managed to come out on the other side recovered -- it's always an inspiring thing for me! I can absolutely see the benefit of online groups for recovery.
  3. lgdg090596

lgdg090596 Senior Contributor

I haven't tried online meetings, yet.
  4. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

I sat for my viva-voce with my professor online. My professor was a young she, beautiful and pretty articulate. She quizzed like hell but was very polite and friendly. It was my first, but I thoroughly enjoyed the online conference. There were butterflies in the tummy, but once I sat through the session, I became more confident and am willing to have more.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Honestly I had no idea there was such a thing as online meetings! It's awesome to hear there is such a thing, I might tell my mom about it. She hasn't attended a meeting for a while, and I have noticed she is falling off the wagon (emotionally) she is not well, I'd love she'd go to that group targeted at ''neurotic'' people or also known as ''emotions anonymous''. She learnt so many useful things there! I see a huge difference in her mood and her weird manias.
  6. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

I am socially anxious airing my dirty laundry to a bunch of strangers I just met in person. That is why I prefer online therapy because it is mostly anonymous.
  7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

I didn't know that online meetings existed, but I think it's an excellent alternative. I don't think it would be nearly as great as going to a physical meeting, but if online is all you can do for the time being, why not? So long as that effort is still being made, I see nothing wrong with it.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

9. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

That's a great way to meet. You can feel more comfortable chatting with people if you have social anxiety and not feel like people are staring at you judging you.
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

This sounds like it could be ideal for me, since I live in a rural area and don't have a lot of good, reputable group opportunities around me. I've never tried an online one, but might after reading some of y'all's experiences.
    deanokat likes this.
  11. Sharfau

Sharfau Member

Can you tell me how to attend online meetings???
  12. deanokat

@Sharfau...

You can find a ton of online meetings at the In the Rooms website. Here's the link:

http://www.intherooms.com

Hope this helps!
  13. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I was always a big fan of online meetings. I have social anxiety, and there were a lot of old creeps in my local AA meetings. I really got tired of men trying to prey on my vulnerability. I liked being able to log on from my laptop or mobile phone, in my pajamas, any time of day or night.
    deanokat likes this.
  14. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

Stepchat.com also has a lot of meetings (both AA and NA), and they are accessible via mobile device. There are also phone meetings if you are interested.
    deanokat likes this.
  15. deanokat

Thanks for sharing that info, @movingforward1!
  16. 6up

6up Community Champion

I have never attended any online meeting but I am sure that they are helpful. By meeting online, you learn on how people have managed to avoid addiction and temptations to drug use. Learning out of experience can make you realise how bad drugs are.
  17. hwarren

hwarren Member

It's the first I've heard of this. Can some recommend some more. I think it's a great idea and maybe someone should think about setting some up - I can do this if anyone is interested?
  18. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I think online meeting are a great resource for those who may not be willing or able to attend physical meetings. Online meetings would be safer for those who don't like a lot of social contact. I was just thinking about this a few minutes ago, I was going ot start a discussion than I noticed one was already started.
  19. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

Well I've never tried online meetings but I guess if you can't find the time to go physically you should try other alternatives.
  20. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

There are some people for whom social anxiety is actually a part of the reason for their addictive behaviors, so having access to online meetings might be the answer they've been looking for. I think I might give them a go sometime.