An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Online Meetings

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by soberdoug, Sep 24, 2014.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried attending online meetings, but I believe they can be really helpful to a lot of struggling/recovering addicts out there, not to mention they are pretty convenient. Anyway, if it's working for you, then that's totally great, I guess you just have got to stick to it.
  2. Nancy D.

Nancy D. Senior Contributor

Does this community provide online groups as well. I have some friends that may benefit from talking to other people about their issues. I feel like sometimes talking to people you know can sometimes make us embarrassed and not totally free. So this would be a great opportunity for them.
  3. Kyler

Kyler Active Contributor

Oh yes, I've attended online meetings for a year. I think it has been one of the best life-changing experience I've had, meeting people who are not afraid to share their experiences, and also because it is online and no one can bother oyu and you don't have to feel as afraid. I personally think it is very very useful. It has helped me overcome a lot of things in my life.
  4. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

It's a great way of doing things and it could help if you don't want to be around others in person, but rather almost anonymously. It's also great to talk to others around the world and make friends that way. You meet people you never knew before, with different backgrounds and different life stories. You also don't have the same obligation to be at every meeting and it's a more flexible way of doing things because it's up to you to be there or not. It's convenient and could save you the money you spend on fuel and resources to get you to real life meetings.
  5. melody

melody Active Contributor

I guess the experience depends on which online classes you are taking. The think I like about online meetings is that there is often a way to reach someone almost around the clock. I think that can really helps when you are in those moments where you want to buckle, and succumb to addiction. Sometimes just keeping your fingers and mind moving while having someone online to talk to can really help get through things.
  6. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

I really enjoyed reading everyone comments about online meetings. I have never been to one, but have been interested about them. A few times I began trying to find one only to change my mind about doing it.

I think I am afraid I would not be able to keep up and follow along.

Thankfully, I have had great experience with real meetings.
  7. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I think online meetings are an excellent alternative for those unable to attend meetings in person. I would only be concerned with distractions..such as opening a tab to check your email or something else. With an online meeting that is easy to do because no one is watching you and you aren't watching anyone either so you aren't worried about paying attention.