An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Online Recovery Forums

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Rainman, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Joining online recovery forums like this one could also be a good strategy for staying sober. By sharing and hearing of the experiences of others who are battling or have overcome an addiction, you get the motivation you need to stay sober. It's the impetus to keep going that helps most people get past the point where their cravings but pull them right back. And forum members can give you just that.

In addition to all that you can ask experts on addiction-related issues for advice and they'll provide you with the information you need.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

Joining online forums have really really helped me. I love talking to other people about their experiences and their strategies. It is nice knowing that someone is facing the same struggle I am and that we could help encourage each other. I have learnt so much from people I have met through the forums and I appreciate every single one of their friendships!
    Joseph likes this.
  3. Juan

Juan Active Contributor

I just like talking to people. I think not only helps with addiction but also with dealing with pretty much everything else in life. Sometimes we can't get ahead with something because we're only looking at it from our own perspective, until somebody comes in and makes us see things in a different light.

So, yeah, definitely recovery forums are a good way to help you with your recovery process. Specially a forum full of helpful people like this one :)
    Joseph likes this.
  4. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I think that online recovery forums can be very beneficial. They can help people find their own strength by reading about how other people have overcome addiction. It also helps people to remain as anonymous as they would like to, as some people worry about being labeled as an addict and do not want to get involved in support groups that require meeting face to face with others. Online recovery forums can also inspire people to have more will power to get rid of their addictions.
    Joseph likes this.
  5. MissLisa

MissLisa Member

I think if a person refuses to go to and participate in AA, then an on line forum may be the next best thing. In some situation it could be a very good first option. Either way, the person who needs help will benefit by communicating with those who share the same addictions, fears, and concerns as they do.
    Joseph likes this.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think this is especially helpful for those who are still unsure about their situation. Getting to ask in online communities like this one where you could learn and ask questions without fear of being judged is really helpful because when you are down on your luck you really can and should get help wherever possible and seeing as online communities are now present it really is best to take advantage.
    Joseph likes this.
  7. Joseph

Joseph DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

These are super wonderful insights everyone! It's great to get this perspective directly from our community members. Thanks for sharing!
  8. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

Online recovery is just another tool in the tool belt. You can use things like these for support, or to find others who can help, or at the very least, understand what you are going through. Every tool has a purpose.
  9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiers Senior Contributor

I definitely think being around people and talking to people who understand your struggle and who support your journey into health and sobriety is an excellent way to surround yourself with good vibes. I also think it gives a positive outlet for you to talk about the issues that you are struggling with that are keeping you from your goals.
  10. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

If I'm busy typing with my fingers, I'm not busy smoking that's for sure! Something I've noticed is reading about the stress that has resulted in others lives due to their addiction has led me to think more about what I can do to make sure that it doesn't continue to impact my way of life. Something about hearing it from other people that have experienced it really makes an impact.
  11. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

You are certainly right forums like this go a long way in helping people recover fast.