An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

ONLY ENEMY IS YOURSELF!

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by akiram13, Feb 10, 2016.

1. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

Yes, that's right you are your own enemy. By doubting or being negative you will never overcome the trials in front of you.

Believe in yourself, know you do have power over yourself, put your faith in GOD and in YOURSELF. You will not fail with a mind set in motion. Keyword is DETERMINATION. You have to know what you want. (Overcome addiction) why? (For yourself) Find your inspiration! Make a plan and stick to it. Do not look back or to the side. But look at the road ahead and walk down it.

GOD has a plan for us do not fear but believe that you can overcome these problems. GOD Bless
    kassie1234 likes this.
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I can often be my own worst enemy! I've really had to re-train that inner voice not to be negative and not to put myself down. When I catch myself being negative I always try to question why I'm being negative and try to change those thoughts. It takes practice but it is possible!
    akiram13 likes this.
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I used to be my own worst enemy before. I did a lot of self-pity and self-harm in the past, but I was able to overcome all these issues, and right now, I am leading a much better life. :) That's true. Don't try to sabotage yourself, rather, be kind and know how to love yourself, and everything will be alright.
    akiram13 likes this.
  4. akiram13

We seem to be harder on our selves but that is what trials are all about. Although many people seem to have trouble doing this simple task. Which is loving yourself.

We constantly put our selves down and constantly doubt our ability. We have little faith in what we can do and overcome. But failing is easy right. That is something you dont have to work hard to do. That is something sure you can do and believe you will do.

That is another step in making a change. :)
  5. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

I think the first thing to find out is WHY we are our worst enemy. Some people just continue hurting themselves without going deeper into the reasons for their own suffering. I remember a friend who kept punishing himself by chain smoking. And one day we just sat down and talked it out. Apparently he felt that he was not happy, he was depressed, but he did not want to kill himself or anything - he wanted to punish himself for getting himself into unhappy circumstances. The day he articulated this to me, he changed his habits. So, I think its important to find out the reasons why someone hurts themselves. There are always positive alternatives people can try.
    akiram13 likes this.
  6. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I know I am my own worst enemy. I am harder on myself then I should be. I am working on learning to love myself but it isn't an easy thing to do. After you are talked to down for so long it is hard to see the brighter side of things. It is a constant battle but I do believe that someday I will get there.
    akiram13 likes this.
  7. rainbowguard

rainbowguard Senior Contributor

Even if we give in to the temptations of friends, peer pressure, wanting to look cool, etc. The root of that is still ourselves and I think by focusing on that, we can stand our ground and hopefully change our social life so that we can live with supporting friends and groups.
    akiram13 likes this.
  8. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There is no other enemy but just you and there is no other friend just you. If you treat yourself as your enemy you will be sinking down, if you treat yourself as a friend you will be rising up
    akiram13 likes this.
  9. akiram13

I truly agree. I love this post and I plan on talking about it. There is always a reason maybe small maybe big. May make sense and May not but knowing what brought you to the spot where you could not escape from yourself.

Thank you so much for this feedback. GOD Bless
    djdrug likes this.
  10. akiram13

This all about the process just know you are stronger than what you might believe and that you know in your heart that you are set it on the right path. Do not mind the down talkers they are forever more remaining there. One day the will swallow there fat tongues and be put to shame. Use it as motivation
  11. akiram13

Well said. Love is a key word. You don't have to like yourself by loving yourself so you won't let your self drowned in the middle. You can pull your own weight or you can let go of the edge and fall
  12. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That is right. That is why it is important to love ourselves and learn how to make friend with ourselves. We can either make or break our lives based on how we treat and think about ourselves. Also right that being determined is very important in fulfilling dreams.
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Self doubt will indeed lead to nothing, so it's better to just be positive about everything. The mind is such a powerful tool, so we must be mindful of our thoughts, because it can lead to failure or success.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

We are our own worst enemies. Our fear, doubts, negative thoughts, low self esteem, etc. We knock ourselves down too much.
  15. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

Building up self-confidence is also important. If there are people around you who say, "Oh I don't think you're going to be able to quit." or something like that, you are not going to be able to quit. So, cut them out until you are able to show results. Results shut up everyone. The way to get results is to work little by little towards our goal.