An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Opiates, then and now

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Deeishere, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

I was listening to the radio (NPR) and there was a discussion about opiates used for pain. It was an interesting discussion because they were saying that back in the 80’s and 90’s doctors were aware that the patients would develop a tolerance for pain and then would have to be given more medication to decrease the pain. I guess they didn’t realize the major problem we would face today. Instead of regulating the medication, they just wanted people to not feel any pain at all. For instance, if the patient said their pain was at level 8, the doctor wanted to get it to zero.

The NPR program discuss ways to decrease the drug dependency on pain meds by using electronic documentation. This includes working with the pharmacies. So if people decide to hop to many doctors, the system will show the number of times they are getting medication. I know this could be effective. Just last week, I didn’t pick up a prescription for my daughter but wanted it transferred closer to my home. The tech. saw that it was at another location and she assumed that I already picked it up. So if they can monitor where my medication is or a family member, they can monitor abuse.
    darkrebelchild likes this.
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Well said; I do blame doctors for patients addiction to prescription drugs. It is normal that when you are ill or in an accident, it is mandatory to feel pain. But it is wrong to completely eliminate all levels of pain; it can be reduced but some mild pain should remain; that's why it is referred to as 'healing process'.

This is similar to pain-free baby delivery. It is unlikely for women not to feel pain when delivering. It is a normal phenomenon but these doctors want to turn themselves to magicians by eliminating such pains which always leads to addiction.
    Deeishere likes this.
  3. Deeishere

Deeishere Active Contributor

Yes, so true. Doctors should really care for the patient. On a video I watched, this one doctor was taking care of a senior patient who had a condition that needed pain meds. Her doctor did have to increase the dosage, but she was having her to come in more often to monitor her. The patient only used when needed because the pain would come and go based on her condition. The patient also exercise on days when she felt well. I think now and in the past, doctors would just give the patient what they wanted just to get rid of them to see the next patient. Sort of a quick fix. Another thing that was covered was that there is an increase in deaths. When a person has pain and their body has build up a tolerance to the dosage, they will take more. Taking more of the opiates will affect a person’s breathing. A patient can actually die in their sleep.
  4. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I've heard about this, they've limited my mothers pain medication too. I think this is one responsible thing they've done so far. This could really reduce the abuse of pain killers. Too much opiate use could cause over doses. This could reduce a lot of these deaths.