An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Other's addictions

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by MrAmazingMan1, Aug 8, 2015.

1. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

I have a close friend who is addicted to marijuana, and I need some guidance on how I can get him out of it. He is one of those people that says, "There is nothing scientifically wrong with Marijuana", and defends it at all costs. If you had friends addicted to marijuana how would you help them recover?
  2. btalivny

btalivny Active Contributor

Before you jump to conclusions about addiction, make sure that your assumption is true. The addiction rate for cannabis is approximately 8-9 percent. Maybe it is like drinking a cup of coffee in the morning. Something that he just does. Only difference is that caffeine has an addiction rate of 70+ percent. Ask yourself whether the consumption of cannabis is negatively effecting him to the point where he is neglecting others and his priorities have changed. If this is a recurrent analysis, then yes, your friend may have a problem.

One of the things that psychologists have found with smokers is that many do it out of a force of habit. In example, a study done on cigarette smokers found that performing the action of holding the cigarette was more beneficial to the person than actually smoking it since it brought them comfort.

With that in mind, try to find an alternative activity to do with your friend. Maybe set a routine such as going on a walk, hike, working out together. Be sure to try to do it together to give him a boost when needed. Another alternative which you can do is find a new hobby for him. The goal is to fill the void which the action and feeling of consuming cannabis to heighten one's mood completed.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

He/she should realize that something is wrong with "addiction" if not specifically to marijuana. Any addiction is bad even he does not accept what others will say that marijuana is a bad substance. You can try introducing him some activities that could help him forget the need of using marijuana.
  4. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

Okay, thank you. I'll talk to him when I can and get together and we can hang out:)
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

If your friend does not want to stop smoking then there is little chance of him giving it up. The decision to quit has to come from within.

It's defintely a great idea to suggest alternative activities you can do together though - it might be just what he needs to shake him out of the rut.