An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Over 10 Years of Cannabis and Alcohol Abuse

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by alfonso87, Jan 7, 2015.

1. alfonso87

alfonso87 Member

I'm new to this website and this is actually my first post so here goes. I've spent a good part of my adolescence abusing alcohol and smoking my brains out. I had my first beer around the age of 14 - 15 and a year after I started smoking pot and cigarettes. I didn't know what I was getting into, I was just having fun with friends and "experimenting", but soon after I started to develop some bad attitudes.

With drinking it started becoming a tradition for me and my friends to drink til we dropped, so to speak. There was no casual drinking, two beers and good conversation, it was drinking to get drunk, and you were the coolest if you drank the most it seemed. I got into fights, passing out here and there, making a general fool of myself in public and doing a number on my liver.

With pot it was more of a gradual decline, I started smoking with friends on the weekends, sometimes after school. Soon after I started holding my own stash, smoking daily. It wasn't long until I was smoking all day everyday. Pot became the center of my life, everything revolved around it. I ritualistically had to smoke weed before doing anything, it was ridiculous.

You might say this isn't such a severe case of substance abuse, but I was hooked on weed like a fish needed water (I know most people say its not addictive, but let me tell you from first hand experience that it is!) and I was drinking way too much. It turned me in to an lazy, arrogant, irritable and delusional half-wit. I eventually hit the lowest of lows and I felt terrible. I was really sad and sick and tired of my life 10 years into it. Thankfully and with the help of my fantastic girlfriend, Pam, I was able to get clean and I'm 2 days short of 1 year pot free. The change in my life has been huge and things are still getting better for me. I still drink from time to time, maybe 2 - 4 times a month, vary casual, and I very rarely get sh**-faced drunk like I used to. I like where I am not and where my life seems to be going. So that's my story, broadly (believe it or not)! Hope you enjoyed reading about it.
  2. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21 Active Contributor

Good going Alfonso and i am hoping that this will last forever, the change that you have made. It is not always easy to get to this point but having the love and support of others makes a lot of difference and you should be happy you have the support of your girlfriend. All the best to you both and welcome to this site it is a good place for sharing information and learning from the experience of others.
  3. alfonso87

alfonso87 Member

Thanks Nikkishea! I wasn't easy, especially the first couple months. I'm just taking it a day at a time.
  4. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome alfonso87 to the forum. Thank you for sharing your story. Others will be responding to it as time goes on. You'll have lots of support here too. I hope you stay with us.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Well done Alfonso, a year is a fantastic achievement and you should be proud of yourself. It really helps to have someone you can rely on, not just in recovery , but in life itself and it sounds as though your Pam is a keeper! Great to meet you!
  6. pintbean

pintbean Active Contributor

First of all, welcome to the forum. Good for you Alfonso, thank you for sharing your story with us. It is so nice to hear that you have self-reflected and know that you want to be in a better place. I am sure Pam, has been of great help and a muse for you. It is so important to value the people in our lives and to want to be better not only for them but for you as well.
  7. alfonso87

alfonso87 Member

Thanks for the welcome MrsJones, missbishi and pintbean , I'm glad to be here!

Yes, Pam has been a huge positive force in my life, and I hope I've been as much a positive force for her as well. Having someone to support you is a huge factor when fighting addiction. I'm not saying its not possible to recover without support but it makes it a lot easier, I'm not sure if I could have done it without her.
  8. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story. Congrats on your milestone! You'll fit right in here.
  9. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

You are very lucky to have found Pam who helped you turn your life around. I must congratulate you because it takes a lot of hard work to overcome an addiction. I know what you mean about getting addicted to a substance that people believe that one cannot get hooked on. I wish you lots of luck to remain clean and enjoy the life you have been granted.
  10. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Weed can be very addictive. I used to smoke all day too, but I really didn't think I had a problem. Glad that you overcame your addiction and that you're feeling better. Kudos to your girlfriend for being there for you.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Hi Alfonso, how wonderful that you have Pam in your life. For me it was similar. I needed a person to come and "rescue" me. A man who believed in me and helped me overcome some of the biggest challenges in my life.
    I literally had to travel to the other side of the world to meet him. In all the years that we spent together, he not even once criticized me for anything that I have ever done.
    Let's always be deeply grateful to the souls that enter our lives when we need guidance and support most.
  12. Morvack

Morvack Active Contributor

Welcome to the forums :D. I am glad you realized what you were doing before it was too late. A lot of people never find their way out of that cloud of pot smoke, alcohol and the "partying" life style. I know people in their 30s who are still trying to live that life style.
    People who say pot is not a serious or hard drug need to read stories like yours. Pot really does screw up your life. Even if you don't realize it at first. I really am happy for you Alphonso. Keep up the good work and if you need a friend to message, consider me one :D.