An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Over the counter drug abuse

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by introspectivgroup, Apr 25, 2015.

  1. I know of alot of people who mix cough syrup, sprite, and alcohol to get some sort of buzz. The fact is that they do it quite often. Does anyone know of someone who has this problem?
  2. vegito12

    vegito12 Community Champion

    I know someone close to me, and he sometimes mixes cough mixture with rum and tries to get drunk from that which is not good as it can lead to a addiction in the process. I also, think that people who doe this can get to a point where they need this to survive and when they don't have it than they will maybe shake or get anger and mood swings as well due to this addiction. I think the does this, he does this so he can get stress out and also chooses that to escape any problems he as when it occurs which is not good.
  3. diprod

    diprod Active Contributor

    I have a friend who abused cough syrup and even mefenamic acid. We already warned him about it but he didn't listen, until he hit rock bottom. It's a sad story. The moral of the story though is that don't wait for something bad to happen to your health before you listen to those who care about you.
  4. AFKATafcar

    AFKATafcar Community Champion

    I don't currently know anyone that full-on abuses cough syrup. However, I do know people that sometimes like it for the high it produces, and others rely upon it to sleep at night, among other things. It's never healthy to abuse or overuse cough syrup, but it's something that nearly anyone can get their hands on. From there, the potential for abuse always exists, and that's a dangerous situation.
  5. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    I don't know of anyone who does this but I have heard that certain substances can be derived from cough syrup and that it's used in the creation of many other substances which are used recreationally. I believe cough syrup can also be used in the manufacturing process to make Krokodil. I do, however, know one person who has resorted to drinking shots of bleach with a glass of water in between each shot when he has ran out of alcohol. Seems like an incredibly stupid idea.
  6. gracer

    gracer Community Champion

    Isn't that poisonous? And the taste of bleach is way too unbearable. I remember accidentally drinking bleach from a friend's house. It turned out his housemate cleaned their water dispenser with bleach and he didn't drain it before putting the water container. So when I went in and had my glass of water, I accidentally drank the undrained bleach. I vomited because of the taste. Good thing I didn't have to go to the hospital.
  7. Jane

    Jane Active Contributor

    Oh god, that must taste horrible!

    And no, I don't know anyone who does any of these. I know people who abuse things like diuretics for weight loss, allergy medicines as sleeping pills, etc.
  8. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    Probably. One thing is certain, it can't be very good for you at all. I believe one type of bleach that was well known to be being misused quite a few years ago was Clorox which can cause death. Bleach is corrosive therefore it must burn if swallowed. I suspect that's what the glasses of water in between were for. It would also burn away your stomach lining. Bleach can be dangerous enough as it is without putting it inside the human body.
  9. trevermorgana

    trevermorgana Active Contributor

    I have a friend that abused benadryls for two years straight basically finishing off whole bottles of 400 pills weekly or at least every 15 days. Anything can be abused in the wrong hands. People tend to self-medicate way too much.
  10. Jane

    Jane Active Contributor

    So what is your friend getting out of that? Does s/he get a high off them?

    They're usually sleep-inducing, so do they abuse them as a constant sedation instead?
  11. gracer

    gracer Community Champion

    That's true. I use bleach twice a week when doing my laundry and it can be irritating if it comes in contact with my skin. It's even hard to wash it off once it's on your skin. The smell also lingers which can be irritating to smell. I can just imagine how much damage it causes a person drinking it. There's definitely damage from the mouth down to the intestines and other organs involved when a person drinks bleach. I have heard news stories of people committing suicide using that substance.
  12. pwarbi

    pwarbi Community Champion

    I think cough medicine is one of the more commonly used over the counter medications, that gets used as a base to mix with other things to get high.

    It's relatively cheap and easily accessible to anybody which doesn't help.
  13. trevermorgana

    trevermorgana Active Contributor

    Yeah its the sedation, the ability to make yourself asleep whenever you want to delay feeling something negative. He's slowly kicking the habit but not quick enough. I'm trying my best to get him help. Thankfully he recognizes what is happening and is making a large effort to fight it so there's that.
  14. slattery2u

    slattery2u Member

    This is very common and big superstars like Michael Jackson have fallen ill to this addiction. It can start off taking something that you think will cure you but before you know it your not following the recommended dosage and this is when you start becoming addicted.
  15. Jane

    Jane Active Contributor

    I totally understand wanting to sleep through all the negative. I've just never been in a situation where I could afford to sleep that many hours, I guess. I've always been the opposite and trying to get more awake hours instead.
  16. Tremmie

    Tremmie Community Champion

    I've met some who did that, but most of my old friends were either into drinking very heavily and doing drugs or both at the same time. Some of them still are, some of them are into alcohol only now. Needless to say we no longer hang out. I'm sure many of them abuse under the counter medications... Actually that is how I started abusing prescription medications... I first tried over the counter medications and lots of alcohol (as a teen).
  17. MyDigitalpoint

    MyDigitalpoint Community Champion

    Along with alcohol, this is another of the easy picked addictions because who buys over the counter medication claims to be doing on behalf of his or her own health.

    This is why the formulation of flu and cough medication was altered several years ago to remove antihistamines and/or other substances producing a drowsiness sensation similar to get high smoking a recreational drug.

    But is not only about these type of medication, also pain killers and antibiotics (where still available without prescription) are intensively abused.
  18. zaerine

    zaerine Community Champion

    It is actually my first time to know that those can be mixed. Sounds like the mixture is not safe at all in my own opinion. :)
    Over the counter drugs can really be abused and it is alarming that there will be increasing cases of addiction to it.
  19. missbishi

    missbishi Community Champion

    Michael Jackson was actually addicted to prescription-only medications, rather than the ones you can buy over the counter.
  20. Sparkster

    Sparkster Community Champion

    At a place where I used to work a few years ago one of the cleaning ladies was in the store room getting a mop and bucket ready to clean the floor. She mixed the water in the mop bucket with some bleach and another detergent (I don't know what detergent it was). She died within about a minute of inhaling the fumes from the chemical reaction.