An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Over the counter drug abuse

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by introspectivgroup, Apr 25, 2015.

1. gracer

gracer Community Champion

I
    Really?! Now that's scary! I never really thought inhaling bleach and detergent could kill a person in such a short period of time. Some detergents also have strong odors that seems toxic to smell too. And to think I actually put bleach on my laundry after putting detergent on them. Now I'm getting a bit more wary.
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  2. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I had a friend a while back who sometimes mixed cough syrup, soda and alcohol before we’d go out. I only saw him do it a few times, though, so it’s possible he was just experimenting and ended up not caring for it. However, another person I knew peripherally, she died a couple of years ago, and I suspect she may have overdosed on sizzurp or something similar. It’s indeed quite worrying how easily these things can be abused, considering how accessible they are.
  3. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Bleach is an incredibly dangerous substance. Never ever mix it with any other chemicals. You don't know what chemical reaction it could cause.
    gracer likes this.
  4. gracer

gracer Community Champion

That is why I can't imagine how someone could use it as an alternative to alcohol and drink it. It's already deadly to even smell, what more if you let it flow down your guts and into your system?
  5. wahmed

wahmed Active Contributor

How long does it take to get addicted to prescription drugs
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

That really depends on a variety of factors like what drug it is you're using, what the dosage is, the reason you are taking it, etc. Prescription drugs like tramadol, valium or antidepressants are a lot more addictive than prescription drugs like painkillers or anti-inflammatories. It also depends on your own individual susceptibility to addiction.
  7. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

I used to have a roommate who would abuse cough syrup that had DXM (Dextromethorphan) in it. It is considered a dissociative drug. It sounds silly, but this stuff was no joke. We could always tell when he was using, because his eyes would bug out, his speech would become very slurred, and he would laugh at anything and everything. He would get like this for HOURS too...and then he would be hung over for days. When I asked him why he did it, he said that it felt similar to doing acid. Sad, really. :(
  8. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

Oh my God!!! That is so scary! My husband used to work in the kitchen of a community college, and one time a co-worker did this, and thankfully he caught the guy in time and was able to save him (my husband found him passed out in the janitors closet after he had combined the same ingredients!!) and was able to drag the poor guy out of there in time. The paramedics saved his life, but the entire school had to be evacuated! When people do that, not only do they endanger their own lives, but they also endanger the lives of every one else around them! How terrible!
  9. kianthras

kianthras Member

I remember being in highschool and having braces, so I was given some T3s (Tylenol 3) that had codene in them. While those were stringently regulated by my parents, they gave me free reign of the T2s (Tylenol 2) with had a high amount of acetominophin but no codene. I would go for days on them to make sure that I was completely pain free and a little loopy from them. One day a close friend of mine finally had to sit down with me and explain that what I was doing was not good and if I kept it up I would damage myself more. He is probably the reason that I barely use Tylenol now, opting for other pain meds (advil etc) that don't trigger the feeling of wanting to be that way.
  10. Corzhens

Corzhens Active Contributor

I remember when I was in high school, there was this guy who had hinted of courting me. He was a distant neighbor so we do not know much about him. It turned out that he was an abuser of cough syrup. That was the 1970s where cough syrup was used to get a high. I was fortunate to have discovered that fact because I would have fallen for his good looks. Hahahaaa.
  11. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think the drink your talking about is called syrup. In the early 2000's a lot of people were trying this. I think it started in Texas, and made it's way up north. Where I'm from they called it a o cup. I use to drink this often and got sick from it eventually. I stop drinking this fearing for my life, when I heard people were dying from it. If someone is still drinking this they better stop, because it can definitely kill you.
  12. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

These are a horrible thing to mix! It wasn't too long ago that rapper Lil' Wayne ended up hospitalized after using the stuff. He had severe seizures. Abusing over the counter medicine is just as dangerous as illegal drugs.
  13. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I remember hearing about that. Frightening stuff. You would think an incident like that would deter people, but I suppose it just doesn’t stop some folks.
  14. jteezymob

jteezymob Member

My friend started doing the "purple drank" aka sprite mixed with cough syrup. I care too much to see him overdose on something. He told me last night, and I told him about Pimp-C and a few other rappers. I was so close to convincing himm but his other friend came in with the typical stoner talk and said, "Oh evrything is addictive. Evrything can kill you". So he's being pressured into it and it's working.
  15. Waynefire

Waynefire Member

Unfortunately this is a problem that I have seen quite often and it does not look like it is getting any better. So I would have to say this is a problem that needs to be addressed, but the question is how long before it becomes such a major issue that people are going to address the issue.
  16. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Member

I don't know of anyone who abuses over the counter medications, however I bet people will always find a way to abuse something. I actually had not heard of people abusing over the counter medications, and I guess its because I figured since its over the counter, it should not have much dangers to it as prescribed drugs can, however I am wrong in that reasoning.
  17. TristanDH

TristanDH Member

I had a school friend that got the buzz from mixing aspirin and a lot of other common drugs. I don't know exactly how he did it, but he seemed more alert than he should after doing it.

It's crazy that with just some over the counter drugs anybody can get dangerously high as he used to.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

Many do it because they do not know the effects the drugs can have in their bodies. They justify their habit by thinking about the legality of the drugs. This can be avoided if they knew how dangerous it is to abuse prescribed drugs.
  19. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I've never heard of mixing cough syrup with sprite, but nothing surprises me as what people will do to get high. I remember my brother had gotten so bad he was actually trying to drink rubbing alcohol this is so stupid.
  20. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

I've known many people that abused a certain ingredient in cough medicine. It even got so popular around here that the cough pills with the highest concentration are sold black market. Some popular antihistamines are used as well. Diet pills are a given.