An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Overcoming Alcohol.

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Plus, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Plus

Plus Member

Hello all! I'll start this out with stating that I'm currently 22, living alcohol free and finally happy. When I was 19 I began working in an adult job, where I'd make money off of tips provided by fans and watchers. This job was a lot of fun for me and every now and then I'd have a few drinks to loosen up and make me more lively (my viewers were aware of this). It got to the point where if I didn't want to work that night I'd have a shot or two to help me get into the mood or to just make me friendly and not as irritable.
    Well with the increasing amount of alcohol I realized I was becoming dependant on it for my job, and it was starting to worry me. I surely didn't start out my job like this, nor did I have to drink for it. I just enjoyed the feeling that it gave me.
    I realized that the more I acknowledged the fact that I was becoming dependant on it that the more I was coming to conclusion to drink less and less. I took a short break from my work to work on forming new habits that don't revolve around alcohol and here I am now! Healthier, happier and saving money that would have been spent on hangovers!
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  2. НА, rіght! Lіkе аs еаsу аs nоt еаtіng сhееsе?

Тhе fіrst tіmе І gаvе uр аlсоhоl wаs duе tо sуstеmіс саndіdа іnfесtіоn, аnd І tоld еvеrуbоdу І hung оut wіth аbоut іt аnd whу І hаd tо gіvе uр аlсоhоl. І wаs јust уоur аvеrаgе соllеgе sосіаl-drіnkеr. Тhіng wаs, whеn І соmрlаіnеd аbоut іt аnd hоw І јust wаntеd tо hаvе sоmе bееr аnd gо dоwntоwn, mу gооd frіеnds wеrе rеаllу suрроrtіvе. "Dо уоu wаnt tо stаrt аll оvеr, Yоu knоw іt wоn't dо уоu аnу gооd," еtс. Тhеу асtеd lіkе І'd tоld thеm І hаd сіrrhоsіs. Вut І соuldn't hаvе dоnе іt wіthоut suрроrt (іt lаstеd аbоut 6 mоnths). І dоn't thіnk І hаd thе сhеmісаl аddісtіоn, sо І'm surе thаt thіs mаkеs іt muсh hаrdеr. Му whоlе dеаl hаs аlwауs bееn thаt І wаnt tо dо/еаt/drіnk whаt еvеrуоnе еlsе іs hаvіng, аnd І gеt dерrеssеd whеn І fееl lіkе І'm "оn thе оutsіdе." Νоt tо соmраrе mу wіmру lіttlе аlсоhоl ехреrіеnсе wіth уоurs :Р

Ѕо rіght nоw bесаusе оf mу аutоіmmunе соndіtіоns І'm gіvіng uр соffее, саffеіnаtеd tеаs, wіnе, dіеt sоdаs, dаіrу, аll nuts, аnd thоsе реskу lіttlе tоrtіllа сhірs аt mехісаn rеstаurаnts. Аnd І'm ехреrіеnсіng thе сrаvіngs! Јust trуіng tо gеt mуsеlf thrоugh іt bу gоіng fоr а wаlk whеn а сrаvіng hіts (ехсерt І hаvе а соld аnd іt's frееzіng оut, sо thаt dоеsn't hеlр), thіnkіng оf оthеr thіngs, оbsеssіvеlу сlеаnіng sоmе раrt оf mу hоusе whеn сrаvіng сhееsе, еtс. Еssеntіаllу fіllіng а hоlе wіth аn асtіоn untіl thаt hоlе quіts bоthеrіng mе.

Аnуwау, dоеs аnу оf whаt уоu hаvе rеаd sау thаt іf уоu rеsіst thе сrаvіng fоr bееr lоng еnоugh, thаt сhеmісаl-brаіn сhаngе саn nоrmаlіzе?
  3. Plus

Plus Member

I think it really can. These days I can't seem to stand the feeling or taste of alcohol like I used to. When I have drank or tried another sip of something I used to love I absolutely gag and hate it, yet when I take a sip of something I used to make fun of ('wimpy' beers or wine coolers) I'm somewhat alright with it yet I still dislike the taste of alcohol.
    I think a big part of it for me was that my boyfriend has never been a big drinker due to health problems. Because of this it really allowed me to find some other things to do without having the constant 'in-your-face' alcohol and cigarettes my last relationships have had. (I suppose it's really all about who you surround yourself with, I've also cut out a lot of the people I would only go out drinking with because really... that's all we did.)

Wow though, I could never imagine cutting out caffeine or cheese, those are some of the biggest things in my life. I definitely would wonder what that experience is although I can kind of relate because my body has done some strange things as well. Many years back my body just decided it can't handle red meats of any kind anymore, to this day I'm still not sure why but I've always eaten a mostly vegetarian diet anyway so I'm not too bothered. Sometimes though I crave a steak or a burger so bad.

So again, I think the cravings can normalize in time. It's just really hard to get it out of your head at first, and even for a while afterwards. I guess it's kind of like if you were to live at the ocean and always smell the salt in the air, only to move away to a city location and just smell... well I'm not sure what 'city' smells like but it's not the same.. You'd crave the 'normal' air you breathed in before, but eventually it just becomes the normal.

Hope that makes sense!
  4. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

What you say is pretty interesting, because for example, my boyfriend also quit drinking and he was an absolute alcoholic. He did have a few sips of alcohol in the last months though, some honey wine (two small sips to taste) and some beer his friend was drinking. He liked the honey wine (did not ask for more though), but the beer -- and I'm pretty sure he really liked that beer before -- he found it too "bitter".
    Apparently the non-alcoholic beer he drinks nowadays is very sweet, so the one with alcohol just was not to his taste anymore.

Absolutely fits to your quote:

And actually, it reminds me of anyone who is an "alcohol virgin" and who wants to taste the stuff but everything is tasting weird at first and everyone is like, "Oh just keep drinking beer and eventually you will not find it disgusting anymore!" As if cutting from it brings one back to that stage, in a way.
  5. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Plus, I read your story and I am happy you recognized the developing problem and did what was necessary to be sober and above all happy. Bringing your story here has sparked an interesting discussion which I hope will help others who might be dealing with similar issues.
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Good on you. I think a lot of people do this but never speak about it because it's not such a big problem, but being dependent is just one more step away from being addicted and it should be scrutinized more. It's good that you realized early on and now are feeling more alive and healthy. Sometimes it is hard to feel loose and happy without substances but it's possible.
  7. juno

juno Community Champion

You got into an addiction and an environment that may have not been very healthy for you at a very early age. I'm glad to hear that you freed yourself of your addiction at an early age as well. I hope you have found a healthier environment to work in as it seems to have been an instigator for your problem.
  8. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I too worked in an industry that revolved around drinking. I worked in a nightclub right smack in the middle of the Las Vegas Strip. Not only was drinking acceptable on the job, but it was the norm. Even though I tried to keep it to a two drink maximum, I thought that consistently drinking two a night and sometimes more would just lead to nothing good. Now I hardly ever drink and I feel much better about things too. Good luck on your journey!
    Plus likes this.
  9. Plus

Plus Member

I'm glad you can see where it comes from! Being in that kind of environment was definitely one of the more 'fun' jobs I've had. But with that type of fun comes consequences and sometimes you just have to think of the future or your own well-being.
    I still work in the industry but I've taken a long break while cleaning up my life. I can imagine that working in-person at the bar would make it extremely difficult if you were to give it up because you are constantly surrounded by it, not only mentally but physically. I'm glad to hear you're doing swell! Life's all about hard roads and decision-making, it's just how you do it that matters.
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Well, congratulations on being alcohol free! I am glad that you realized that you were becoming codependent before it was too late. If you need any help or any advice from anyone on the forums, just feel free to ask.
  11. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

Thanks a bunch for the positivity;)
  12. jon

jon Active Contributor

I gave up alcohol and noticed that my life was starting to come back together. When I was drinking, I would bury my head in the sand, ignoring my problems, rather than doing something positive to solve them.
  13. jon

jon Active Contributor

That is great that you have been doing so well, and have found the strength to over come alcohol abuse. It is encouraging to me and others, I am sure, to see that it can be done.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Well, hooray for that. You're a living proof that you can actually beat alcoholism easily even though you felt like you're being too dependent on it. I'm happy for you.

Have a good life! :)
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I rarely hear stories of people who used to love drinking but are now repulsed by the taste of alcohol. As for me, I never really liked it the moment I took a sip of it. Now that you find the taste of alcohol awful, there's no way you will be drinking again even if you work in an environment that is conducive to drinking. Good for you!
  16. jon

jon Active Contributor

It's a good thing that you realized that you were becoming dependant on alcohol, and that you made a choice to stop. s
    Stay strong and continue on the path that you are on.