An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Overcoming craving

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Vinaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I don't drink every day, it is usually twice a month. And when I am drinking I never drink more than 200 ml. However, when evening gets in I always have this desire to have few drinks. In the beginning I tried to have one or two drinks (usually 60 ml), but when drinking got out of hand, I decided not to have any drinks without any occasions or celebration. However, still I have this feeling that I need one or two drinks every day.
  2. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Well you must be going through something right now for you to feel the need to drink every day. Do not worry. It will pass. Social drinking is fine but drinking on a daily basis will surely lead to addiction. Better not start while it's possible. I know you're just entertaining the thought, though. Best regards!
  3. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I think you should really listen to your gut. If you are here asking if this is a problem, it most likely is. A drink a day may be OK for some, but will lead to more conmumption in others.

Try to find a different activity to do when you have those cravings. Go on a walk, a bike ride, go to the gym. Learn to juice or make smoothies to drink instead. Something that will give you a good, relaxed feeling naturally and keep your mind occupied.
  4. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

If you think there's a problem then there usually is, but in your case I'm not sure if that problem might be more in your head than it being an actual problem.

A lot of people will have a bad day at work or feel stressed and think and day things like "god I could do with a few drinks"...that doesn't mean they have a problem though, it just makes them, well...human!?
  5. henry

henry Community Champion

If you only drink twice a month, you can easily quit drinking altogether. Those cravings you're having are maybe the result of some sort of stressful situation you're going through right now, not because your body needs alcohol. You're mind is just scanning for a solution to the problem. Don't drink. Try reading a book, exercise, ride a bike or something.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well, I mean you might be having cravings, but it is not from the abuse of alcohol. You are drinking so infrequently, I hardly think it could be a major problem in your life. Maybe you should examine the reasons why you feel you want to drink everyday and do something about them. This might be the way to do something about your situation.
  7. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

If you drink because of social situations, that's a different thing. But, if you drink because you are stressed out, I would suggest sleeping or watching a comedy show or something. De-stress and try to get away from energy sapping people and situations.

Those cravings are something that everyone has, but the way people deal with cravings is what really matters.
  8. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Those cravings have to be avoided. Sometimes things could trigger these cravings. Avoiding triggers can help a lot.
    Some times things we see or hear can make us want to go back to the addictions. Finding hobbies and avoiding boredom would help to take your mind off of it.
  9. pwarbi

Sometimes avoiding the triggers is easier said than done though, and in the past there was often days that I'd wake up and be determined not to drink.

As the days sent on though and the stresses and strains of everyday life took its toll, I soon have in to the cravings again.
  10. akiram13

akiram13 Community Champion

The best thing to do is be stronger than those cravings. I admire how you take control over yourself in the sense of your cravings. I use to get them all the time and still do but the key is to have discipline and control of yourself. Props to you!
  11. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I think it's great that you recognize the cravings and that you have sought out advice on how to deal with them. I'm not an alcoholic or dependent upon alcohol but my husband is. He is currently not drinking (a month sober), but I remember seeing how hard it was for him to ignore the cravings. I am an addict though I am recovering. Not from drugs or alcohol, but from food and cigarettes. It may sound silly to some but I know that both are addictive and both of them really stole a lot from me.

I had weight loss surgery 2 months ago, and prior to my surgery I had to quit smoking. So, I understand the cravings. I would chew a lot of gum and when I felt that the craving was too much, I would start playing a game on my phone or anything to curb that craving. Try it! I'm sure there are many interests you have that you could do when the cravings hit. Possibly read a book or pick up some type of craft that you would enjoy. Hang in there!
  12. pwarbi

You say that it might sound silly to some, but that's the thing with all addictions, they're all just as serious and important to that person that's going through them.

One addiction is no less serious than another as far as I'm concerned, as each person will be be facing their own struggles and battles, no matter what it's against.
    aimeep80 likes this.
  13. LovesBigFool

LovesBigFool Active Contributor

I think you highlighted something very important as far as coming here to ask if there might be a problem. Thank you for that.

My two cents might not make sense to everyone, but here goes.

Once I became sober there were times I craved a drink. Repressing those thoughts brought about greater cravings which generally showed up in my dreams.

A trick I learned that helped tremendously was to mentally go in the opposite direction. If I simply imagined having a drink (without actually taking a drink), in fact enjoyed the imaginary sensation to the full, I would get bored fairly quickly and no longer had the urge.
    Momma9 likes this.
  14. Momma9

Momma9 Community Champion

I like your idea, @LovesBigFool ! I will definitely keep it in my mental bag of tricks :)
  15. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Some people can't drink occasionally, some need it more often, but I think that as log as you are able to control your cravings all is ok :) I drink occasionally, but in my case thee is a huge factor... my body no longer allows me to drink as much as I did on the past. My liver can't handle that anymore, hence I drink once or twice a year, sometimes not even that. Always during special occasions... and never more than 2 drinks.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, it's just a craving, so you better not act on it for your own good. I think when the craving hits you you should start munching on something so that your mouth becomes busy and your mind becomes diverted. Then before you know it, you won't feel the urge to drink anymore.
  17. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Еvеn thе mоst nutritiоn-соnsсiоus pеоplе hаvе tо lеаrn hоw tо соpе with сrаvings, sоmеtimеs fоr nоt-sо-nutritiоus fооds. Yоu might think thаt а lоnging fоr thеsе unhеаlthy trеаts rеsults frоm еmоtiоns, аnd thаt соuld bе truе — but nоt nесеssаrily. Сrаvings аrе usuаlly stimulаtеd by еmоtiоnаl сuеs, but thеn fuеlеd by physiоlоgiсаl оnеs аs wе imаginе whаt it wоuld bе likе tо еаt thе fооd wе wаnt tо hаvе
  18. djolem

djolem Senior Contributor

A glass of good red wine is actually good for you and if you don't drink too much it will do a great job for your general health. I am not sure for some stronger alcoholic drinks like vodka or gin but I know that if it is just a shot or two no harm will be done. My motto is to be moderate in everything. I read somewhere that you could die if you drink too much water at once so...
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

Craving feelings went away for me after a while but it took a lot of self-will and confidence to say no to myself. It's really hard but once you find what's making you crave alcohol and remove it from your life you're gonna be able to cope much easier.
  20. ejorman1010

ejorman1010 Senior Contributor

You should try finding some type of hobby or activity that will take your mind off the alcohol. Having someone to keep you in check is another way to stay off the stuff. I wish you luck and know that it's not the end of the world and you can find your way through anything.