An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Overcoming craving

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Vinaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 Member

To overcome the craving of alcohol you must find a replacement. My replacement for alcohol is e-cigs. Some people take caffeine pills as a supplement. Some people will take anti-depressants as a source. Find a another drug to consume. Life is full of mean people that make life very unsatisfying. But, you have to fight it or continue living in misery. It is your choice.
  2. rajesh

rajesh Senior Contributor

You must control your urge, friend. You can read many stories on the net where you can see that many people are destroyed because of this stuff. Let the urge come up. You just need to control. The 'extreme urges' are a part of withdrawal symptoms. If you manage a year without drinking, the urge will definitely become less powerful.
  3. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

Cravings always give us the reason to feel like we must have what we are gradually being addicted to. It is all about self will and discipline and the faith to carry on with life.

Addiction is a gradual process of a harmful habitual action; trying to distract the mind from it is one of the best ways to avoid yielding.
  4. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think sometimes it's not necessarily an addiction to the substance but an addiction to the routine - maybe you could try something like substituting a cup of tea instead of alcohol? I always find the process of brewing tea is relaxing and if you choose green tea there's a whole host of health benefits too :)
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sounds like that you are good in controlling yourself as you can avoid drinking much. Continue to be motivated in setting limits and maybe try to be busy on some other things especially when cravings strike. Avoid drinking daily and lots of it cause it could lead to addiction and prevention is always better than cure.
  6. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

For now, how about swapping your usual drinks for alcohol free versions? Or something like Cola?

Your craving doesn't feel like it's coming from wanting to escape but more because of routine or habit.
    You just need to find out what you can re-program your association with when you crave.

Well done though on cutting down as much as you have. Like everything, final leg of a journey is usually the trickiest :)
  7. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

The problem seems not to be having the drink or two, but to stop at having more than the desired for number of drinks. Do you really actually only want a drink or two, or is this just an excuse to get drunk? Only you will really know.
  8. Novelangel

Novelangel Active Contributor

My brother, who is a recovered alcoholic with over 9 years sobriety, tells me that often the drink cravings will go away if you eat candy, as many alcoholic drinks taste sweet. Perhaps a nice little candy dish kept on hand with a few hard candies in it to suck on from time to time would help with your drink cravings. It can't hurt to try, at least.
  9. peetbernadis

peetbernadis Active Contributor

I think you should find a hobby, or just something to keep yourself busy that would turn your mind away from the thought of booze. You're not addicted yet...you just think too much of it.