An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Overcoming the Temptation

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Vinaya, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

My father-in-law quit smoking when he had cardio vascular disease. It has been more than 5 years since he smoked. However he says when he is in the company of smokers, he still have this desire to smoke. If you have given up smoking, do you still have cravings?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

For many who have quit smoking, the desire still arises but others cannot stand the smell of smoke once they quit. Another reason your father in-law may be experiencing that is because he quit because of the disease, it was not voluntarily or with the use of some form of treatment.
    For the sake of his health, he will need to be disciplined or seek the help of a professional to avoid the temptations of smoking.
  3. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

I guess with most people the desire will always linger. Even with people who have never smoked before. Imagine sitting with your friends at a party and they are all smoking, you'd most likely have an inclination to join. You just have to discipline yourself and remind yourself of all the negative effects of smoking and luckily there are plenty reasons for you not to smoke and very few for you to do otherwise. I guess your father in law should just keep reminding himself of what could happen if he does smoke again, or find some sort of distraction such as gum. You'll feel less inclined to take a cigarette from someone if you're busy chewing gum.
  4. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It may very well depend on a variety of things. My mother only ever smoked two or three a day but it took her a long time to quit. After many years of being smoke free, she still gets cravings. However, my sister who was a heavy smoker and quit a few years back has no temptation to smoke, even when others arw around. I guess it really depends on how you let it affect you.
  5. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

The desire might always linger, similar to me with alcohol and some drugs... sometimes i have odd wandering thought regarding to that. Sometimes I ask myself... what if? Thankfully I no longer tolerate alcohol the same way I ever did. I bought a bottle of quince liquor since December, I haven't even finished it. I credit that to my gallbladder removal surgery, ever since that I can't drink like before.
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

I think if your in the company of smokers you'll get cravings. The thing is your father in law get's cravings when he's around what triggers it. I think most people have a hard time quitting anything there around all the time. I know that I really try to avoid anything I want to quit doing.
  7. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

Normally you can see some people that quit smoking a short time ago they normally hang around smokers breathing in the second hand smoke. When I stopped for a time curiously enough I would avoid the smoke because I didn't like the smell of the smoke. I guess no one is the same.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

I quit smoking more than 25 years ago and I still get cravings from time to time. Thankfully, the cravings are easy to fight off now. But I'm always amazed that I still get them. I can be driving in the car or just sitting on the couch watching TV, and out of the blue I'll get an intense craving for a cigarette. Crazy, but true.
  9. blenly

blenly Member

Personally just after a matter of weeks I can't stand the smell of smoke. However I can understand the craving for a habitual cigarette. By that I mean if you always smoked when you did something else. For example when you have a coffee, after a meal, when you get in the car or just before bed.
  10. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

I think this is normal, it's a craving like you have for anything else that you have had in your life. There are certain things that I used to eat when I was a kid that I still get a craving for out of the blue. I remember once having a flu and having a strong craving for these black current sweets that I had eaten in over a decade ago.
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I also think that desiring to smoke again for a previous cigarette chain smoker is normal especially if there were temptations. It will be his strong will or self control that will stop him from giving it to that desire.