An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Owning A Pub

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by 6up, Jul 30, 2015.

1. 6up

6up Community Champion

Does anyone here own a pub and yet they never take alcohol? How did you manage that?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I don't know of anyone in that scenario, but I can imagine it would be difficult. That sort of environment is one that ultimately encourages drinking, so to have an owner that didn't drink themselves would seem a little unusual. I'm sure there are people though in that sort of predicament though.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I've also never met or known someone who either owns a pub or works in an establishment where alcohol is sold, who doesn't drink. Most don't drink when they are working though.

I remember that one time when my neighbor, an elderly man who had quit drinking was hired to be a bar manager, he started drinking again. The stress of the job?
  4. rightct

rightct Community Champion

I don't own one and don't plan on doing that soon. Though I have a couple relatives who conduct some small pubs around my city and they all say it's quite hard not to go into alcohol, and generally the strong one. Though they manage to do that. They try to impose themselves they're there only for business reasons.
  5. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I can't say I've ever heard of a pub or bar being owned by an ex-alcoholic or teetotaller myself but I'm sure it happens. I imagine they see it as a business venture, nothing more and if you can get into the mindset of not drinking your profits then that probably helps massively too.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I wouldn't say it's ever happened. People who are anti-alcohol aren't generally pub types. Pubs tend to be a little rowdy relative to family restaurants.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Actually there was this dive bar I used to frequent, which the owners was an older Serbian couple.
    They only came in at open and close, you never saw them take a drink.
    I talked to them all the time too, I got the impression they didn't drink if at all.
  8. Rex

Rex Community Champion

I work in a bar actually. Ive been sober two years now and to be honest it doesnt bother me working there. It's funny, you just kind of look at drinking differently when your behind the bar, its just a job. Anyway im sure somebody could do it if they were in the right mind frame
  9. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

That seems pretty impossible, well actually depending on the person it could be do able. I could probably handle it. however if you put my roommate in the same situation then it probably wouldn't end well, interesting scenario im excited to see what people who have actually owned a bar say.
  10. 6up

6up Community Champion

I shared with my friends about the topic. They suggested that one can have a pub and yet he does not drink, only if he can get someone to manage the pub for him. But managing it by yourself can make you start drinking.
  11. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Props to you for being able to do it after being sober for 2 years and not be tempted - that takes a lot of willpower. Like you said though I'm sure it can be done provided you are in the right frame of mind.
    Rex likes this.
  12. henry

henry Community Champion

Well, I've certainly never met one. But it's not like they stuff themselves with booze. I've seen them have a beer or two, but never seen one drunk out of his head. This is like asking if I've met a pool hall owner who didn't play pool. Very hard to find.
  13. Rex

Rex Community Champion

Thanks:) Its very different when your behind the bar, you just dont really think about it. If you ever saw the comedy show cheers, the guy who owned the bar, Sam was a recovering alcoholic. So thats kind of an example of it
  14. eveliner

eveliner Senior Contributor

A couple friends own a few pubs here and there, and they manage not to crave alcohol at all. I'm pretty sure everyone can achieve that with some will and self-motivation. After all, you own a pub to do business with clients, not to drink off all your stock. :)
  15. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do not own a pub but I think that a person who owned one most probably drinks alcohol. Not necessarily an alcoholic but someone who also consume alcohol. Never heard or read anything yet about someone who owned a pub and do not even drink alcohol.
  16. MoneyFiend

MoneyFiend Member

This would depend on the individual. Realistically the owner may have one or two beers every now and then but his main goal is to make money to provide for his family and pay for his interests. Being in an environment surrounded by drunk people all the time might even cause him to enjoy being sober. Although the decision to start or run a bar is a good indication he is comfortable being around alcohol through previous experiences, most likely he will occasionally have a few drinks but will avoid getting too hammered in respect for his positions importance in maintaining the bar efficiently.
  17. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I used to work in a restaurant and bar in the past. The owner of the restaurant, my employer, had to stop drinking after suffering a heart attack. He found it very challenging to stay away from alcohol, and often asked me to give him a shot of cognac at the end of the day. I always refused, even to a point of risking my job. But instead of getting angry with me, he thanked me each time when I told him why it would be a bad idea to drink again after all that he had been through.
  18. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Although its sounds impossible, I'm sure there are people out there that do own establishments and not partake in alcohol assumption. I don't know anyone personally who do, and I would assume that it would almost possible to not consume it since it is readily available.
  19. kjones

kjones Member

When I was growing up, well - my early drinking years. I can't recall any owners or barmaids/bartenders who didn't drink. When I was just a little girl, my dad would take me to coney island - and on the way we would stop at a saloon for a couple of beers for him - and a pop for me. My dad used to take me and sis in the bars all the time, and customers always bought drinks for the owners and the pretty ladies. lol. Things are a lot different today.
  20. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

This is actually an interesting question. Personally, I do not know of anyone that owns a pub and does not drink alcohol, but I am sure that there are some people out there that do. I guess when you see it all the time it just becomes tiring. However, it should be noted that most people probably opened up a pub because they loved alcohol in the first place.