An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Oxycodone for pain

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by Holly, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Holly

Holly Member

I have been on oxycodone drug for 2 1/2 years.. still on it because of chronic back pain.. I went on it for my last knee replacement. I was doing great before that as I got myself off of zanax and Vicodin.. I was a mess.. I was afraid to have knee replacement because I knew that meant going on opiads. After 2 1/2 years I still am on them as I have degenerative disc and stenosis of the spinal cord and bulging discs. I want to get off but the pain is intense.. I feel like I am in a life of hell. I am trying ablasion surgery on my back and hope it helps the nerve pain.. I have worked hard all my life..and wore out my back and knees. The doctor is reducing my oxycodone and it isn't enough to help with my pain...any suggestions.. Tylenol ibuprofen doesn't work.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Holly Hello and welcome. Thank you so much for reaching out. I'm truly sorry for the chronic pain that you're feeling. I can't even imagine, bless your heart. I wish I had some great advice for you, but I'm not that familiar with pain management. I know you'd probably love to wean yourself off, but you also don't want to live in pain. I know some people try some alternative methods such as acupuncture, yoga, light therapy, or some sort of Chinese medicine or some things like that. If you're able to find a natureopath doctor, maybe they can offer you some suggestions. I wish I could be of more help.

Just know that you can come here and share anytime and we're here definitely to listen and support you however we can.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the community, @Holly. Like @Dominica, I wish I could be of more help. Dealing with chronic pain is such a difficult thing, because the things that help it can be so addictive. I think Dominica's suggestion to see a doctor who specializes in naturopathy is a good one. I have also heard some very good things about CBD oil and pain relief. That's something you may want to explore as well.

I'm sending you lots of healing energy. We are here anytime you need someone to lean on.
    True concern and LaurenJ like this.
  4. LaurenJ

LaurenJ Active Contributor

I second @deanokat about the CBD oil! I have been doing research on it and am going to start this soon as a supplement. Many benefits and it helps with pain and also withdrawals when you are weaning off your meds if you chose to do so! Good luck to you :)
    True concern and deanokat like this.
  5. laura_p17

laura_p17 Member

I live in chronic pain as well, which is why I am prescribed Norco. I did take Oxycodone for a while. What is the exact reason you want to get off of Oxycodone, if I may ask?