An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Oxycontin

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by MrAmazingMan1, Aug 8, 2015.

1. MrAmazingMan1

MrAmazingMan1 Active Contributor

I remember when my mother had been taking Oxycontin after a serious back surgery. She had to keep her purse with her at all times because apparently the substance is very addictive, and others might want to get some for themselves. what are your thoughts on the drug? your experiences?
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I know a pretty good amount of people who have been addicted to Oxycontin. They will steal it so your mom probably had a good reason to keep her purse close. I guess it must really get the person taking it high as a get out. So glad I don't have to deal with that addiction.
  3. MrAmazingMan1

Do you know how addictive it is vs. other drugs? That's what interested me, because she seemed quite serious about it.
  4. movingforward1

movingforward1 Active Contributor

It is very addictive, like a cleaner heroin with an exact dosage point. It causes physical dependence and withdrawal, like any opiate. I understand your mother being worried about theft. I have stolen these pills multiple times when I was using.
  5. MrAmazingMan1

Oh wow, that is much more serious than I thought. I never knew it was so addictive, that's insane. I hope she doesn't get addicted though...
  6. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I stay away from pills especially painkillers. I have heard to many stories like this one I sure don't won't to run the risk of getting addicted to anything else. So if I have an ache or pain I may take over the counter stuff, but as for prescribed painkillers I keep them far away.
  7. Mr.B

Mr.B Member

Oxycodone (whats in Oxycontin or Percocet) is in my opinion the worst prescription drug to get addicted to. First, just taking one pill and drinking alchohol can lead to death. This happens with teens all over the world. Second, Oxycodone is pretty much legal heroin. One pill can cost up to $50-$60 on the street. Once you build up a tolerance your done for and its impossible to afford the habit when you have to spend hundreds of dollars a day. I truly feel terrible for people who are addicted to oxycodone.
  8. Mzpeaceful1

Mzpeaceful1 Active Contributor

Yes, you have to be really careful with this drug. I currently take it PRN (as needed) for a shoulder injury I have. I don't take it every day as I am so afraid of getting addicted so I hold off and only take the medication when my pain is really really bad. I have become dependent on an opiate in the past and it is grueling to withdraw from and I do not wish to go through that experience ever again.
  9. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

It's very addictive. I think a lot of doctors need to be a bit more careful when prescribing it. It's really only necessary for strong pain but my doctor has been happy to prescribe it in moderate circumstances. As the posters above have said, it's not a nice thing to go through withdrawal from either.

Sounds like your mother is being very careful! I think it's a good idea for her to keep an eye on her pill container as much as possible.
  10. MrAmazingMan1

What could you compare it to in terms of addictiveness?
  11. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

Hmm that's a tricky one. I guess it would be a personal thing but I think the fact it is an opiate helps indicate the 'type' of effect it has. It induces a euphoric feeling and is quite fast-acting which can make some susceptible to it. You can find out a bit more about how it can be abused in this documentary.
  12. Hyperion

Hyperion Active Contributor

Ullgghh...I've had two terrible experiences with Oxycontin several years ago. I was throwing up the whole day and missed a field trip! One time I literally had to drag myself down the street to get home at like 6:30 in the morning.

Oxy is super dangerous, and will make you a nasty prick sometimes.
  13. Ttirb

Ttirb Active Contributor

It's terribly addicting and usually leads to using heroin after one has built up a tolerance to it and can't afford to keep buying pills. Heroin is a lot cheaper, so most addicts turn to that.
  14. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

My boyfriend used to be addicted and boy is it hard to deal with. It's very addicting, it's like heroin. At one point he almost made me want to try some and wow I'm so glad I didn't because who knows what would have happened to me. He used to inject it which is worse in my opinion. It's just gross and wicked and I hate it. He's been clean for a couple years now thank God. And I hope he never goes back to that. It's so hard to be close to someone who is dealing with that problem. You feel like you're all alone and can't go to anyone for help. I don't wish it on my worst enemy.
  15. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

A lot of these pain killers are addictive. There was a time when people were mixing pain killers with cough syrup and alcohol and drinking it. I tried using something similar to this for a little while but stopped. I kept hearing about people dying from abusing pain killers. When I stopped messing with pain killers, I stopped really messing with any prescription medicine even for illnesses.
  16. BayouBilly

BayouBilly Member

There are some people that get really addicted to Oxy - for me, I've always found it made me so nauseous, I hardly felt it could make a great recreational drug. It's unfortunate that people even get addicted to this stuff!