An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pain Management Clinics

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by GettingBetter, Feb 8, 2016.

1. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

I have a close friend who has just been referred to a pain management clinic for her arthritis. I am worried because I have seen a number of people use such clinics to support their addictions. What do you think of these clinics? Do you know of ways to reduce the potential for addiction with this sort of long-term pain care?
  2. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Does your friend have addictive tendencies? I don't think everyone who goes to a clinic like that is going to end up addicted to something, but I guess the potential is always there. I think she needs to be clear up front with her doctors about why she is going, and that she doesn't want to end up addicted to a substance.
  3. abacabb

abacabb Member

I have been to 4 different pain management clinics, and I can say I've had a 50/50 experience. The first 2 not only were not prepared for someone with Crohn's Disease whatsoever, but they acted like they were sponsored by certain pill manufacturers. They completely tarnished my outlook on pain management whatsoever, and I ended up with quite the hefty addiction afterwards.

The second two doctors were wonderful people, who did everything in their power to help me get through this condition. They completely changed the way I looked at that path of medication, and I learned a lesson to never stop searching. I also have a very addictive personality, so that didn't help things at all. However, in the end, I found it very valuable.

Since then I've given up pain management in general, but for other reasons(it's not an effective tool to combat Crohn's), however, I've developed a bit of RA myself and I wish you and your friend the best. I used to be fine taking naproxen sodium a few times a day, now those have stopped working altogether.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

It is a natural desire of people who experience severe pain. If it is a short time pain, post operation for instance, pain management is good. However, taking pain killer drugs for conditions that are lasting for long time time (joints pain, migraine etc.) will push people into addiction.
  5. Droz

Droz Member

Like many other professional medical establishments, pain clinics can help patients in need of continued care for all types of issues that cause chronic pain or other conditions. The key is to make sure the clinic is reputable and has experienced doctors and other qualified medical staff. Many times, pain clinics are also affiliated with larger hospitals. This is an added benefit that adds legitimacy to the organization.