An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Pain Management Tips

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vinaya, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

You may experience extreme pain (pain that is so unbearable that you being to think about death)because of injury, disease, addiction and mental conditions. How do we manage pain by ourselves? Is is necessary to seek help of experts in order to manage pain?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

This is hard for me to comment on, as I haven't experienced chronic pain myself. I think the worst pain I have ever gone through was childbirth without pain relief, but that was only temporary so I think knowing there was light at the end of the tunnel got me through.

I do feel for anyone who has chronic pain conditions that they have to deal with - I can't imagine how difficult it would be.
  3. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

It is always advisable to seek help. Sure you might get addicted to the pain medication prescribed but it is much better than trying to self-medicate because this usually will force you to start experimenting with lots of different drugs which may not only end up getting addicted to some of these drugs could even make your condition worse. Drinking alcohol to relieve pain for example often makes the pain worse than it initially was.
  4. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I have experienced emotional pain so bad it made my heart ache. After crying hard with my entire body shaking from exhaustion, I just said a little prayer and wished I would wake up on the other side but I didn't.

I picked myself up, was sober a few weeks and decided to move on with life.
  5. Mara

Mara Community Champion

The most excruciating pain I felt in my life was when I lost my dad because of his years of alcohol abuse. And it's really ironic because the very thing that killed him is the very same thing that I turned to for comfort. I drank to ease the pain. But I soon realized that alcohol is not the answer. Yes, it can dull the pain for a while but after the effects are gone, the pain will still be there. I just tried accepting that my dad is gone and I took what happened to him as a valuable lesson.
  6. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... This is such a tough issue. On one hand, it's definitely advisable to seek treatment from professionals. After all, it's pain that you're dealing with and you can never function productively if you are in pain. There are medicines that can help alleviate the pain, although there's that possibility of being addicted. But if a patient is in pain, I doubt that overdosing is in their mind. They want to stop the pain and they wouldn't want to dismay their doctor by overdosing on the medication.

Of course, as some articles or news have stated, doctors have been overprescribing pain medications as well. So there needs to be a thorough diagnosis before prescribing such medications. This way, the patient won't be at risk of overdosing or abusing the meds if they can actually cope without it even.

Pain can also be managed by other treatments. There is surgery which is mostly done on patients with severe pain. Then there's therapy which can be used in conjunction with medicines.

Lastly, if all these fails, try natural remedies and therapies. There's massage, acupuncture, herbal treatments and many more that can help alleviate some of the pain.
  7. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

It depends on the situation. If you already have a diagnosis, so you know the cause of the pain and that it is not an acute issue needing emergency or urgent care, then you have quite a lot of options. Pain medication is often the easiest and quickest remedy, but as we all know, it comes with many risks from potential addiction or dependency to serious side effects that can ruin your health later on.

The good news is there is a lot of alternative treatment out there that helps with pain management without pharmaceutical drugs. Depending on the cause, there are things like massage therapy, acupuncture, and botanical medicine, which can be much safer than drugs. For many people dealing with pain as a result of injury, alternative treatment can be very effective. Relaxation does wonders for the body, as pain can lead to tension and more pain. It's important to seek a practitioner that has training and experience in helping people with the type of condition you have.
  8. serenity

serenity Community Champion

9. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

When I am in so much pain like migraine and need to do something or go out, I drink over the counter pain medicines. Usually I try to treat it naturally like sleeping and drinking hot tea. If it is really unbearable, like I mentioned, I drink pain meds and so far it worked for me.
    Right that treating pain can vary as there could be various factors to consider like cause of pain.
  10. Jani_pikki

Jani_pikki Member

I suffer from chronic back pain, and have been addicted to over the counter pain medication for 10 years, now a year sober, dealing with pain everyday is frustrating and it has such a big impact on my family life. I try to cope with the pain by getting hypnosis. Doing mediation, taking hot baths, swimming and hot herbal teas and medication
  11. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

So it's a pain both physical and psychological, right? Personally, I won't consult an expert until I've exhausted all options. I would first attempt to self-medicate so as to avoid costs that might drain my budget. Besides, I know myself well and am aware of what makes me comfortable and uncomfortable. In most cases, self-medication has served me well. I also try to go through the pain instead of trying to escape from it. Surprisingly, the more you go through it, the easier things become. You need to have enough guts. Endure for as long as you can. Then each day the pain will lessen until you're no longer able to feel it.
  12. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

Like @Jan_pikki, I, too, suffer from chronic back pain, in addition to other spots. And, of course, life has not always been wine and roses. I've successfully managed to get relief through chiropractic care and licensed massage therapy when the pain was work injury or auto accident related or when I had good insurance. I got the most drug-free relief from acupuncture, but had to pay for that out of pocket, and it wasn't cheap. Other than that, it's been lots of long hot baths, bed rest, breath work (like some women use during natural childbirth) and yoga, which also helped me feel better emotionally, mentally and spiritually. With the yoga, just remember to move very slowly and breathe into the moves and poses. It helps me a lot.